Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2018 2:56:53 PM EDT
I have been a member there for years, been shooting there since 1989.  Shoot at least once every weekend.

At the range this morning, was shooting double and triple taps with the AR and....

The range officer walks up to me and said I could not fire full auto at the rifle range, showed him the rifle is a good ole semi auto.  He did not believe me at first, and then said you cant shoot slide fire, said it was not a slide fire, he then looked...told him it was a combination of me knowing what the fuck I was doing and a good trigger....

Then said I cant shoot rapid fire.  No where in the MF'ing rules does it say no rapid fire.  No where.  So here we go with these officers flexing and starting the good ole anti gun rules made up on the fly.

If someone that is a range officer at Honey Island is reading this, IM me, this making up rules on the fly bullshit has to come to an end.  If there is no rapid fire, than add it to the rule board and call it a day.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of ranges forbid some nebulous form of 'firing too fast', unfortunately.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless something has changed recently, there is no such rule.  I've been there several times when machineguns have been fired at the far left end of the pistol line.  I do not recall having seen them fired from the rifle line, but there aren't any signs saying its prohibited.

I is "run what 'cha brung" as far as I'm aware.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been in discussion with the range committee....will not be surprised if they rule no rapid fire.

I warned them, this is what the snowflake anti gun states do at their ranges...I also told them they will lose members, me included, if they make this a rule.

What pissed me off was that after proving I was not full auto, not using a bump stock, still told me no rapid fire, even though it is no where on the rules board.

Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Its for your own good...

Was at the LPSO range in Raceland once and had some random old guy come over and tell me to slow down or my AK would have a cook off.
Wasn't even shooting in full semi-auto mode...

But yeah, I love when someone, RSO or otherwise, doesn't like what your doing and that makes it against the rules (when its not). And if you disagree, well that makes you an unsafe shooter.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought Honey Island was a public WMA range (I've never been there)?

Sherburne range is worse.  No range officer but plenty Fudds that like to act like one.  Our state really sucks for places to shoot.  I am seriously looking for twenty acres or so just to go shoot without putting up with all the "range" bullshit.  Problem is to find property reasonably priced where you don't end up pissing off hunters and close enough to be worth the drive (I'm in Lafayette).
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought Honey Island was a public WMA range (I've never been there)?

Sherburne range is worse.  No range officer but plenty Fudds that like to act like one.  Our state really sucks for places to shoot.  I am seriously looking for twenty acres or so just to go shoot without putting up with all the "range" bullshit.  Problem is to find property reasonably priced where you don't end up pissing off hunters and close enough to be worth the drive (I'm in Lafayette).
View Quote
It is public WMA, but the range is operated by SELFS, I believe a non profit organization, all volunteer ROs.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I got very tired of ranges with such rules. I recently joined a club in Donaldsonville that actually supports competition style shooting and practice. No full auto or slide-fire, but as long as the rounds impact the berm and it’s a semi auto, have at it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 5:24:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got very tired of ranges with such rules. I recently joined a club in Donaldsonville that actually supports competition style shooting and practice. No full auto or slide-fire, but as long as the rounds impact the berm and it’s a semi auto, have at it.
View Quote
I have been eyeing that range for years....a good friend just moved to BR and he is looking at joining.  The downside, quiet a drive for me to D'Ville.  The Honey Island range is 4 miles from the house.

There is a range just over the MS border, called MTAC, that has good facilities, 17 miles from the house, that I am going to look into.

Was at Honey Island yesterday afternoon and was shooting like I always do, ran 6 triples in a row, not a word from the ROs....

Link Posted: 10/12/2018 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah the driving part definitely comes into play. I was a member at Fusilier in Arnaudville but having to drive the basin bridge on I-10 just wasn't worth it.

I just got back from my 2nd trip to Palo Alto and it's everything I've hoped for in a private gun club.

I checked out that MTAC place in MS. Go read the reviews on Google, lol. Apparently they had an ANTIFA shooting club that got banned. The remarks are pretty predictable.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah the driving part definitely comes into play. I was a member at Fusilier in Arnaudville but having to drive the basin bridge on I-10 just wasn't worth it.

I just got back from my 2nd trip to Palo Alto and it's everything I've hoped for in a private gun club.

I checked out that MTAC place in MS. Go read the reviews on Google, lol. Apparently they had an ANTIFA shooting club that got banned. The remarks are pretty predictable.
View Quote
I just started the application "process" for Fusilier once again.  After a day wasted driving to Sherburne only to turn around and come home.  Too many people out there.  I sat facing the range in my truck and observed at least five range "no-nos" in ten minutes.  Thing about Fusilier is that it has a "Fudd" mentality to it.  I don't like shooting from benches for groups.  Boring as fuck.  But at least you have at least some assurance that you won't take a round in the liver from a bubba sightin' in his thutty-thutty.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
See if you can send me a link on the comments from google....I cannot find them

Thanks,

Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

See if you can send me a link on the comments from google....I cannot find them

Thanks,

View Quote
Link
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I just started the application "process" for Fusilier once again.  After a day wasted driving to Sherburne only to turn around and come home.  Too many people out there.  I sat facing the range in my truck and observed at least five range "no-nos" in ten minutes.  Thing about Fusilier is that it has a "Fudd" mentality to it.  I don't like shooting from benches for groups.  Boring as fuck.  But at least you have at least some assurance that you won't take a round in the liver from a bubba sightin' in his thutty-thutty.
View Quote
I never really got that Fudd impression the 2 years I shot out there. There are a lot of older guys that like to shoot their scoped revolvers and plenty of 100 yard benchrest shooters. I had a guy on the rifle line that got pissed because I asked for a cease fire after 35 minutes, to go fix targets.

I still have a family member that shoots out there and they have expanded and done some work as well as talking about extending the range to at least 600 meters.

You can do pistol / holster work as well as shoot AR drills on the pistol range. The 300 yard rifle range allows prone shooting and no real rules that would keep you from having fun. As long as you’re safe.

But overall, Palo Alto is the gold standard of private pistol / rifle clubs in south Louisiana. I don’t miss Fusilier one bit.

But I live in Gonzales and the idiot that hit the Sunshine bridge just turned my range drive from 20 mins to an hour.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like they made a rule.  Double taps only.  Found out last Sunday.

So blame me!!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Is that only rifle line, or pistol too?

what about machine guns and bumpnstocks?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Rifle line only, MGs are allowed at the 25 yard pistol line

Link Posted: 3/15/2019 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a range officer at Sherburne WMA try something similar with me some years back.  This guy sounds like he may be the same guy.  I was shooting a registered machine gun on the pistol range.  He tried to tell me I couldn't.  As I used to be a state game warden, I knew what the rules were and were not.  I called him on it.  He told me I had to leave.  I told him he would have to call out a commisioned agent to tell me to leave because I knew that I wasn't violating any rules, and wasn't leaving otherwise.  He called an agent on the radio who told him to leave me alone.  Later that day, this same jerk came in and ran everyone off the range so a group of private individuals could have a private machine gun shoot.  I thought this was also BS and called him on it.  I asked, "I thought full autos weren't allowed on the range"?  He didn't respond.  As I was done shooting anyway, I left.  I thought about complaining to his boss, but didn't.  Some years later they added no rapid or full auto fire to the rules.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#18]
You'll like MCTA, the facilities are not as polished as Honey Island, but with several different ranges its a good place to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Virtually every club in Michigan has some rules regarding rapid fire. Most ban full-auto's outright, even though they're legal

Some of the rule making is too address legitimate safety concerns, some of it is designed to appease the neighbors.

A club inside my sphere of travel had a trespasser climb their fence and hip shoot an AK-47 at beer cans he threw on the ground. Rounds ricocheted 1/2 mile down range and into a home. That club was closed for over a year and they were nearly closed permanently.

My club has instituted "no rapid fire", except in sanctioned competition". As little sense as this makes, liability issues will put us out-of-business should a round go astray injuring someone.

Most gun clubs, established decades ago in the countryside, are now being encroached upon by suburbia. Being a member of a gun club comes with rules and expectations. I personally can't afford to buy 50 acres in the country to do as I please. Following the rules insures that I'll have a place to enjoy my firearms and practice for the rest of my life. It also insures that the generations that follow will have that place too.

Until Americans that sit on juries start refusing to award ridiculous settlements for minor inconveniences we will continue be attacked in the courts. People have actually moved into homes next to my gun club, then demanded that we stop shooting on Sundays so they could have "at least one day of peace and quite". They tried to sue and found they couldn't. The tried to challenge our zoning status, saying it was illegal, that didn't work. They are currently stewing over how next to attack us.

This is costly! Our dues have doubled simply to defend ourselves in court. We have over 1300 members and can meet the challenge. Most clubs can not. Count your blessings that you have a convenient place to shoot and try to consider how your actions effect the surrounding community.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#20]
F honey island.  Half the time its closed from flooding anyway.   Go to MCTA over near Stennis.  It's not much further than Honey Island and a MUCH BETTER range.   Worth joining.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

F honey island.  Half the time its closed from flooding anyway.   Go to MCTA over near Stennis.  It's not much further than Honey Island and a MUCH BETTER range.   Worth joining.
View Quote
This x1,000,000.

I know someone that had the range called hot while they were at the 100 yd line putting out targets. Thankfully someone signaled the RSO before something bad happened.

A friend was a RSO out there. They are all volunteers and get free range time after hours for their work. I've seen a RSO carrying a 1911 in a fobus holster cocked with the safety off. I've also seen the same RSO shooting with his RSO hat and vest on, which is verboten while not actually "on duty" for obvious reasons. The road costs thousands to repair every time it washes out or bubba and his friends destroy it while looking for the Swamp Monster. The range has improved tremendously, but the RSO's have not.

If that range went under, I'd be sad, but only because that means all the fudds would be looking for another range and would inevitably invade the good ranges.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Been a member at MCTA since May of this year....much more relaxed and actually get better training

Another jerk ass Honey Island range officer pulled this one me three weeks ago:

I have a range cart that I made and have been using for years. My rifles are standing straight up, strapped in the cart and I use chamber flags in the rifles so I don't have to unstrap each rifke to show a clear chamber and I helps me also to see a clear chamber fior safety.  So three weeks ago, I stroll up like I always do, three rifles in the cart, all with flags and I do like I always do, told the desk RO, see the flags and I signed in and started to walk away and said he needed to see the rifles.  I said look, chamber flags no need to see them, flags like I always use....then he said "you want to shoot today, pull each rifle out". What a F'ing asshole.

A lot of these guys are Barney Fife....

I think I pissed him off because when I initially walked up he looked at me and said "oh I see you are shooting those nasty black rifles, I gave him a real FU look and said I hope you are joking".

Spend more time at MCTA now, just 8 miles further fir me to drive

Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Been a member at MCTA since May of this year....much more relaxed and actually get better training

Another jerk ass Honey Island range officer pulled this one me three weeks ago:

I have a range cart that I made and have been using for years. My rifles are standing straight up, strapped in the cart and I use chamber flags in the rifles so I don't have to unstrap each rifke to show a clear chamber and I helps me also to see a clear chamber fior safety.  So three weeks ago, I stroll up like I always do, three rifles in the cart, all with flags and I do like I always do, told the desk RO, see the flags and I signed in and started to walk away and said he needed to see the rifles.  I said look, chamber flags no need to see them, flags like I always use....then he said "you want to shoot today, pull each rifle out". What a F'ing asshole.

A lot of these guys are Barney Fife....

I think I pissed him off because when I initially walked up he looked at me and said "oh I see you are shooting those nasty black rifles, I gave him a real FU look and said I hope you are joking".

Spend more time at MCTA now, just 8 miles further fir me to drive

View Quote
I am pretty sure I have been there at the range when you were there.  I remember a dude pulling a cool cart like you describe and with flag safeties in the guns and getting harrassed by the guy under the carport thing.  Yeah they are pretty crappy with that shit but I understand why they do it considering the amount of idiots out there.  I have known Mike Honkala since 2014.  He's a great guy and solid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top