Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2021 2:54:12 PM EDT
Twit.

https://fingerlakes1.com/2021/07/12/auburn-usps-mail-carrier-falls-out-of-truck-while-making-deliveries-in-seneca-falls/
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
He was charged with driving while intoxicated, a class E Felony due to a prior DWI conviction in 2019,
View Quote
Meanwhile, possession of a metal box containing a spring, that was manufactured after September 1994, is a Class D felony
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Once you pass the background investigation and are hired, there is no followup unless you make the news or are involved in an on the job crime.  He is probably an old timer.  He is screwed now but the NALC will probably help him get his job back with back pay since his felony was not "on the job".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can be a mailman with a three year old DWI?

Once you pass the background investigation and are hired, there is no followup unless you make the news or are involved in an on the job crime.  He is probably an old timer.  He is screwed now but the NALC will probably help him get his job back with back pay since his felony was not "on the job".

He was drunk while making deliveries.   How is that not while on the job?  Driverless mail truck ended up driving itself int some hedges.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets suspended, gets AA and comes back.

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The felony on his record was older change that was not committed on the job and had nothing to do with this incidient.
View Quote
I just read an article on various state laws that USPS is exempt from. For example, USPS trucks do not have license plates. Nor is the USPS subject to local zoning laws when buying land and building a structure. But what really shocked me was that a court has ruled that USPS drivers do not need a valid drivers license to drive a USPS vehicle. The USPS decides who is qualified to drive a vehicle. I he was in a personal vehicle then it is on him but if he was in an official USPS vehicle, it could get interesting if he has a good lawyer.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That is an artifact of the time that you needed a Federal government license to drive .gov vehicles.  That is no longer a requirement to drive USPS vehicles.  They no longer issue them.  I have no idea if the Federal government still issues them.  The drivers class and subsequent driving test was a joke.
View Quote

Military still issues a Licenses endorsed for specific vehicles, but that goes out the window when vehicles need to be moved.
Government Employees (at least Army Civilians operating .gov vehicles) have to have valid, State issued Drivers Licenses, and in positions (mechanic, Bus Driver, et.al.) where a CDL would be required off Post, the incumbent is required to maintain a Commercial Drivers Licenses. Civilian Employees are also issued paper licenses for Airfield Operations as well as ones reflecting anything motorized from Floor Sweepers, Forklifts, to Heavy off-road equipment.....about the only thing I haven't been licensed on are the Helicopters.  

Ironically, last September my CDL was due to expire, I called DMV and was told that I had to report to the one in my County of residence to renew in person (could not renew on-line) so I called months in advance of it expiring and the next appointment wasn't until late October....Troop Motor Pool (TMP) notified me as did the Rescue Squad that my Licenses was expired; I told them I could not be renewed for at least a month, they said "OK, let us know when you get it renewed" and never another word.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a guy fall out of the vehicle while stone cold sober. Reached out too far with seatbelt off, truck went into bushes. He was still on probation , so he got fired. Yes you need a valid drivers license. I was hired early 80's and they also had a government license with each vehicle  you could drive listed on it (1/4 ton, 1/2 ton, LLV ). FFV came out after government license no longer required.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember being a teenager 40+ years ago and all the town mailmen would be done with their route and in the bar drinking at 12 noon.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I remember being a teenager 40+ years ago and all the town mailmen would be done with their route and in the bar drinking at 12 noon.
View Quote
I too was teen 40+ years ago  Back when my grandparents had a cottage on Skaneateles Lake off NY-41, I remember the mail carrier had a standard vehicle which was probably a personal vehicle. Somehow he was able to drive it sitting in the passenger seat and reaching over to steer the vehicle. That made it easy to put the mail in the mailboxes. I was probably 11 at the time and it still amazes me. I guess the Skaneateles PO did not have any spare right hand drive vehicles back then. There was also a Mail Boat that used to deliver the mail by water. We did not have a dock and only once did we get mail by boat when we arranged with a neighbor to use their dock.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember a Newsday driver falling out of the truck trying to catch a stack of newspapers and the truck crashed into the Bellmore post office like 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I remember a Newsday driver falling out of the truck trying to catch a stack of newspapers and the truck crashed into the Bellmore post office like 10 years ago.
View Quote
I guess that happened after the NCPD Highway Patrol's vendetta against Newsday drivers.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Funny Farm Getting the Mail
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top