Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2018 2:43:18 PM EDT
I grew up In south Florida and have lived in Central FL for the last 13yrs. Yesterday we drove to see some springs in the Ocala area. Silver Glenn Spring swimming area blew me away. Fellas take the drive and take the family! It's worth it!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Go check out Wakulla springs. The lodge is amazing.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/edward-ball-wakulla-springs-state-park
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Been in a lot of springs up that way.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Have to put that one onto the "to visit" list.  We are headed to crystal River this weekend to check it out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Recently made the trip up the run of Silver Springs. While your not to swim there. To me it was like going back in time. Much of the run seems to look just like it might have 100s or even 1000s of years ago.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
That Silver Springs run truly is amazing!  It's just like ReefRaider says: you get a feel for what the entire state must have been like 200 years ago or more.

A very family friendly trip is down the Ichetucknee.  Easy, slow drift with inner tubes is the best way IMHO.  Weekends can get crowded though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
You should see it this weekend, total insanity.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]
We did the glass bottom boat tour at silver springs. To see the 400 year old Spanish explorers long boat clearly still there at the bottom of the spring was awsome.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Every time I see a posting about some one coming to Florida and headed to the therme parks - I recommend going to see the real Florida.

Florida is a cool place - just starting to fill up.

Red
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#9]
So you're going to stand there, having grown-up in Florida, living in Central Florida for more than a decade and calling yourself a Florida Man and tell me that you just discovered the springs?

For shame Cut your mullet, remove your neck tats, put on a shirt, sell your double-wide and just leave the State

ETA- j/k
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We did the glass bottom boat tour at silver springs. To see the 400 year old Spanish explorers long boat clearly still there at the bottom of the spring was awsome.
View Quote
There is a spring on the swanee that has a confederate boat that was sculltled in the run.  Troy Springs

http://www.flpublicarchaeology.org/blog/ncrc/2011/12/20/the-madison-scuttled-in-troy-spring-run/

Red
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Every time I see a posting about some one coming to Florida and headed to the therme parks - I recommend going to see the real Florida.

Red
View Quote
So true.

I grew up in Seminole County back in the '70s/'80s. Lake Jessup was my playground! Most of my youth was spent canoeing, fishing, surfing (NSB) and hacking my way through the jungle, looking for an adventure. I learned to swim at Wekiva Springs and I learned to SCUBA Dive at Ginnie Springs.

I love taking visitors canoeing out of Blue Springs into the St Johns to look for the BIG Gators and Manatees.

There is still a little "Old Florida" left but not much
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is a spring on the swanee that has a confederate boat that was sculltled in the run.  Troy Springs

http://www.flpublicarchaeology.org/blog/ncrc/2011/12/20/the-madison-scuttled-in-troy-spring-run/

Red
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Red
There used to be what was left of a steamboat (keel and some ribbing) in a small tributary creek into Lake George. When I was a kid, we went looking for it. Story was that it was abandoned in the creek in the ealry 20th Century at the end of the steamboat era. We were hoping to find a safe full of Gold! but no such luck

My friends and I once found two dugout canoes in a small pond off of Lake Jessup along Tuskawilla Road during a particularly dry summer when the water level dropped to historic lows. I wish we had the thought to contact somebody who could have documented and perhaps excavated the site properly. I know for a fact  the pond and the whole area now lies under a housing development
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Which spring had the water skiers (6-8 person pyramid) and the "mermaids" you could see from the glass bottom boats, back in the 1960's?  The family went several times when I was a kid.  I'm thinking ,  Wakulla springs but it could have been Silver springs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There used to be what was left of a steamboat (keel and some ribbing) in a small tributary creek into Lake George. When I was a kid, we went looking for it. Story was that it was abandoned in the creek in the ealry 20th Century at the end of the steamboat era. We were hoping to find a safe full of Gold! but no such luck

My friends and I once found two dugout canoes in a small pond off of Lake Jessup along Tuskawilla Road during a particularly dry summer when the water level dropped to historic lows. I wish we had the thought to contact somebody who could have documented and perhaps excavated the site properly. I know for a fact  the pond and the whole area now lies under a housing development
View Quote
@makarov

during a drought - they found a bunch just east of Gainesville

Dugout Canoes-Discovering 101 Canoes at Newnans Lake, Fla.

Red
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, Cypress Gardens was probably the most famous of the water ski shows but many places had them as a tourist hook.

Wikee Wachee is what I think of when I think of Mermaid Shows. But again, it used to be a pretty common attraction.

That and roadside Gator shows!
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@makarov

during a drought - they found a bunch just east of Gainesville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UNrck45OtE

Red
View Quote
Yep, the two we found looked pretty much just like those.

Was the G'ville find out in Paynes Prairie? I see now, Newnans Lake. I have dear friends who grew up in Windsor.

ETA- Thanks Red! Very interesting.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Funny story about Silver Springs. Their boats captains have been there no less than 35 years and some are pushing 45+ years of service. I think there is 5 or 6 of them. I moved to Florida 35 years ago as a kid and took a glass bottom boat ride @ SS. Went back a year or two ago and camped with the family and to take my girls on a boat. I had the same captain both times. Kinda humbling.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Silver Springs allowed SCUBA for one day back in the 80s.  I was able to go and ...  well, it was cool 'cause I can say I was allowed to SCUBA there, but there are nicer springs for snorkling.  SCUBA only required if you are going into cavern/cave diving, and then absolute proper training is required or you will end up dead.

I'd put the Rainbow River on your list, as well as the Itchetucknee.  Manatee Springs is very nice, Blue in Gilchrist (now a state park), Poe in Gilchrist (owned by Alachua Co.).

Remember - water is 72 all year, so winter time is good too and fewer folks out
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So you're going to stand there, having grown-up in Florida, living in Central Florida for more than a decade and calling yourself a Florida Man and tell me that you just discovered the springs?

For shame Cut your mullet, remove your neck tats, put on a shirt, sell your double-wide and just leave the State

ETA- j/k
View Quote
Yup grew up In SOFL to transplant parents, father is from Europe. So I wasn't raised doing the whole southern American outdoors thing. Last decade has been a 24hrs on 48hrs off with side jobs during those 48hrs. Trying to smell more of the Rose's now that I have my own little one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Which spring had the water skiers (6-8 person pyramid) and the "mermaids" you could see from the glass bottom boats, back in the 1960's?  The family went several times when I was a kid.  I'm thinking ,  Wakulla springs but it could have been Silver springs.
View Quote
Weeki-Wachee had the mermaids
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So true.

I grew up in Seminole County back in the '70s/'80s. Lake Jessup was my playground! Most of my youth was spent canoeing, fishing, surfing (NSB) and hacking my way through the jungle, looking for an adventure. I learned to swim at Wekiva Springs and I learned to SCUBA Dive at Ginnie Springs.

I love taking visitors canoeing out of Blue Springs into the St Johns to look for the BIG Gators and Manatees.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Red
So true.

you're like my doppelganger 10 years prior  
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Went to Salt Springs last weekend. Hadn't been there in about 27 years and had a better time there than ever. Got baptized in it too by the pastor of Salt Life Church while he was baptizing some members of his congregation. I didn't even know them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Went to Salt Springs last weekend. Hadn't been there in about 27 years and had a better time there than ever. Got baptized in it too by the pastor of Salt Life Church while he was baptizing some members of his congregation. I didn't even know them.
View Quote
He must have know you were Evl.

Now you can be savedblkwpnz
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
There are other sunken boats there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone here own property close to the Silver Springs park ?
If so please send me an IM.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anyone here own property close to the Silver Springs park ?
If so please send me an IM.
View Quote
Camp out at their place!
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I grew up In south Florida and have lived in Central FL for the last 13yrs. Yesterday we drove to see some springs in the Ocala area. Silver Glenn Spring swimming area blew me away. Fellas take the drive and take the family! It's worth it!
View Quote
I could have walked over and said hi..

I recommend it everytime.
Go early. Set up..chill.
Water is so clear its like its not there.
Did you walk to the boil springs(1/4 mile) from the main spring?

The boat area is party centeral has been for years. But not like it used to be.

Another Alexander springs 12 miles or so south.
Go early. As in 8am be there...it packs out fast.

Juniper is cool. But sucks when packed.
Go there for the canoe run. Its awesome.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its by the old plantaion . By the island south of the sr40 bridge.
You could see the stack still as of a few years back .but waters been high since last year.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

He must have know you were Evl.

Now you can be savedblkwpnz
View Quote
The more evil you are the more grace to be had ;)
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yup grew up In SOFL to transplant parents, father is from Europe. So I wasn't raised doing the whole southern American outdoors thing. Last decade has been a 24hrs on 48hrs off with side jobs during those 48hrs. Trying to smell more of the Rose's now that I have my own little one.
View Quote
Well, it's never too late to start!

First a little shopping.

(yes, Florida)
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Red
So true.

This thread needs a little Tom Petty (another Florida boy) R.I.P. Tom
Southern Accents - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This thread needs a little Tom Petty (another Florida boy) R.I.P. Tom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehPUJKk2_dg
View Quote
Funny my mother taught Tom Petty in math when he was in High School - LOL

Red
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Dang - what an SOB - you can not show a picture like that and not tell the story!  I bet he dumped a Penn 80 like it was nothing....lol

Red
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Dang - what an SOB - you can not show a picture like that and not tell the story!  I bet he dumped a Penn 80 like it was nothing....lol

Red
View Quote
Still a mystery from what I hear.

Shark Found In Shopping Cart At Florida Walmart
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it's never too late to start!

First a little shopping.

http://www.nydailynews.com/resizer/UnAarflaUHgOgirhXIptTW6lJPg=/1400x0/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-tronc.s3.amazonaws.com/public/DLGC7EU425TIU5JIYO2EB5L3TI.jpg

(yes, Florida)
Im starting now. Just wish I knew some people who lived on some of these private lakes around winter haven.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Are there any nice springs that aren't a gang bang of humanity and crowds?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Are there any nice springs that aren't a gang bang of humanity and crowds?
View Quote
Lmao.

Yes.
If you go during...
A weekday
Get there early
Dont go during school breaks
Dont go during tourist northern manatee gawking season .

Now if you canoe or yak the people problem lets up a bit.

Everything by the fed and state is over run.
Its all online now. Places not known outside of local/searches are now easily filled by cheap online reservations .
Place near me was nice. 7$ a night...on a warm day say may late april youd have it to yourself.
Now...no grass..trash...and people coming going..and RVs.......
Its ruined it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I grew up on the beach in Pinellas County during the 70s and 80s.

The thing was, Mom loved the beach, so that's where we lived, but Dad absolutely hated saltwater and sand.

So, every vacation or long weekend Dad ever had, we went to the springs and rivers.

My wife was a Colorado girl when I moved her here, so she automatically loved the beaches, and I do too.

But then, I took her to places like Weeki Watchee to go kayaking, Rainbow River, Silver Springs, Juniper Creek, and she loves that now, too.

Real florida is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#41]
One of the old glass bottom boats from Silver Springs is up a creek off the Little Homosassa river, I think it was part of the Homosassa

Springs attraction back in the day and then hauled out there.  The last 40 years of storms has pushed it way back in the marsh.

The spring at the head of Gum Slough use to be one of the most beautiful

places in Florida. It was part of the Drake Ranch and the owner use to pull trees down along the creek to make it really hard to get to

with anything other than a kayak.  Now I think its part of Half Moon Mgt area, I took a go-devil up there before the last hurricanes

and pulled some giant bass out of the mats. I think the actual spring is called cow spring.

We are fortunate to have dozens of springs here in Citrus,  but the easy ones to get to usually get trashed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
One of the old glass bottom boats from Silver Springs is up a creek off the Little Homosassa river, I think it was part of the Homosassa

Springs attraction back in the day and then hauled out there.  The last 40 years of storms has pushed it way back in the marsh.

The spring at the head of Gum Slough use to be one of the most beautiful

places in Florida. It was part of the Drake Ranch and the owner use to pull trees down along the creek to make it really hard to get to

with anything other than a kayak.  Now I think its part of Half Moon Mgt area, I took a go-devil up there before the last hurricanes

and pulled some giant bass out of the mats. I think the actual spring is called cow spring.

We are fortunate to have dozens of springs here in Citrus,  but the easy ones to get to usually get trashed.
View Quote
How do you get to the spring at Gum Slough? I have a nucanoe and trolling motor and would love to explore areas like this.... any info would be much appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#43]
To really appreciate wild Florida travel to the Wacissa River and hit Blue Springs and then go on down to the slave canal, dug by hand, that connects the Wacissa to the Aucilla River. It is a great kayak trip and well worth the drive.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

How do you get to the spring at Gum Slough? I have a nucanoe and trolling motor and would love to explore areas like this.... any info would be much appreciated!
View Quote
you can lunch at the end of turner camp road in Inverness, head down river a little less than a mile, the creek is on the east side of the river pretty much right

across the river from the big camp site on potts preserve. You could use the trolling moter in the main river but once you head up the creek you have to contend

with all the limbs and trees in the water. It takes a full day in a canoe to get there and back. well worth it , I would wait a bit until the water drops back down a

bit, with the flood its al tanic acid in the creek and you cans see well.I just stopped by the mouth of it last week and its really dirty.  Once you come out of the

creek it opens up into a wide slough with a few springs on it.   You could use the trolling motor again once iyou get up by the cabin
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
then go on down to the slave canal, dug by hand, that connects the Wacissa to the Aucilla River. It is a great kayak trip and well worth the drive.
View Quote
So it was dug by hand by calusa's?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#46]
We went to Silver Glen two ago and it has become our favorite. We're closer to Blue Springs but it doesn't come close to Silver Glen!
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 12:24:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
To really appreciate wild Florida travel to the Wacissa River and hit Blue Springs and then go on down to the slave canal, dug by hand, that connects the Wacissa to the Aucilla River. It is a great kayak trip and well worth the drive.
View Quote
Speaking of the Wacissa River....

Any one here done the Wild Hog Canoe Race?

LOL

Red
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We went to Silver Glen two ago and it has become our favorite. We're closer to Blue Springs but it doesn't come close to Silver Glen!
View Quote
Imho blue springs sucks.
The glen is awesome...so clear.
Try Alexander next trip. But go early it fills up fast..as in by 830 theres a line.
But its a cool spring area to swim/snorkel
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

you can lunch at the end of turner camp road in Inverness, head down river a little less than a mile, the creek is on the east side of the river pretty much right

across the river from the big camp site on potts preserve. You could use the trolling moter in the main river but once you head up the creek you have to contend

with all the limbs and trees in the water. It takes a full day in a canoe to get there and back. well worth it , I would wait a bit until the water drops back down a

bit, with the flood its al tanic acid in the creek and you cans see well.I just stopped by the mouth of it last week and its really dirty.  Once you come out of the

creek it opens up into a wide slough with a few springs on it.   You could use the trolling motor again once iyou get up by the cabin
View Quote
Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to put this on the list. I was just in homosassa last weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top