Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2020 12:09:56 PM EDT
Hi everyone. Seeing the pictures from the Richmond and Lexington protests got me thinking about whether we could (not should or ought to; don't want to derail the thread) do the same. I mean, legally speaking, could I put on my plate carrier, grab my rifle, hop on MARTA, and have a demonstration in front of the Capitol Building? What about the masks? Assuming this was part of a larger demonstration or not, either way I guess?

Again, I'm not suggesting that I or we should do this, but could we? I'm originally from Florida and public open carry is illegal there so I don't know much about it.

Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Mask are against the law due to some anti klan stuff. Not sure what the rules are for inside of the building
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#2]
you would have to have a GWCL for sure, open carry in our state requires it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]
But if you have a carry permit it's otherwise legal? Sounds like it, which is what I thought, but I guess it's ingrained in my gut that it's not something that would be allowed.

I know MARTA trains say permitted carry is okay, but I've just never seen anyone OC let alone OC a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But if you have a carry permit it's otherwise legal? Sounds like it, which is what I thought, but I guess it's ingrained in my gut that it's not something that would be allowed.

I know MARTA trains say permitted carry is okay, but I've just never seen anyone OC let alone OC a rifle.
View Quote
Man raises eyebrows carrying rifle through Atlanta Airport
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#5]
All I ask is that if you carry a rifle in the airport, that you move your front sight up and take off the tacky vertical grip/bipod.

Joking aside, I guess that settles that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mask are against the law due to some anti klan stuff. Not sure what the rules are for inside of the building
View Quote
Inside the building is off limits due to two separate criminal laws.  OCGA 16-11-127 and OCGA 16-11-34.1(b).  You may review them both here:  https://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code/

You need to obtain permission should you wish to hold an actually rally.  GeorgiaCarry.Org has held rallies at the Capitol several times and has a good working relationship with the law enforcement there.  GCO typically requests that those wishing to make a positive impact dress well (as well as circumstances permit) and make a positive impression, as their goal is to get legislation passed and repeal gun control laws, not just get on the news like an attention whore.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You need to obtain permission should you wish to hold an actually rally.
View Quote
It's more a matter of scheduling rather than "permission".  You wouldn't want to show up with thousands of people to hold a rally only to find another group of thousands already occupying that space.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I am fairly certain gsp would shut that down in an instant. They dont even want small permitted protests to occur.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am fairly certain gsp would shut that down in an instant. They dont even want small permitted protests to occur.
View Quote
Why do you say that?  There have been several armed rallies at the Capitol, and the State Troopers are always friendly and accommodating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top