Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2019 7:36:06 PM EDT
Hey folks. Hoping to get a stupid question cleared up since Google has failed me.

As a resident of another state with no permit reciprocity, I understand in MN I have to transport my handgun unloaded and locked up separate from ammo. I know I can't carry at all, but here's my question: can I bring said firearm to a range and use it? Is that considered "carrying"?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I honestly never thought about it, but I don't see why that would be a problem.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:51:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a stupid question.

"Transport" = unloaded and in case, or unloaded and in trunk (rear) of vehicle.  No permit required.  MN statute 97B.045.

"Carry" = loaded, can be anywhere in vehicle, in any condition.  MN statue 624.714.

The above apply to handguns (pistols) only, since that's what was mentioned in your post.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You can shoot at a range (or in the woods on private property eat) without a permit. I attached the statute below for reference.

Subd. 9.Carrying pistols about one's premises or for purposes of repair, target practice. A permit to carry is not required of a person:
(1) to keep or carry about the person's place of business, dwelling house, premises or on land possessed by the person a pistol;
(2) to carry a pistol from a place of purchase to the person's dwelling house or place of business, or from the person's dwelling house or place of business to or from a place where repairing is done, to have the pistol repaired;
(3) to carry a pistol between the person's dwelling house and place of business;
(4) to carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of hunting or of target shooting in a safe area; or
(5) to transport a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat if the pistol is unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, or securely tied package.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can shoot at a range (or in the woods on private property eat) without a permit. I attached the statute below for reference.

Subd. 9.Carrying pistols about one's premises or for purposes of repair, target practice. A permit to carry is not required of a person:
(1) to keep or carry about the person's place of business, dwelling house, premises or on land possessed by the person a pistol;
(2) to carry a pistol from a place of purchase to the person's dwelling house or place of business, or from the person's dwelling house or place of business to or from a place where repairing is done, to have the pistol repaired;
(3) to carry a pistol between the person's dwelling house and place of business;
(4) to carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of hunting or of target shooting in a safe area; or
(5) to transport a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat if the pistol is unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, or securely tied package.
View Quote
Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, SD has constitutional carry now so you probably don't have a CCW permit but if you do, MN has reciprocity with some states.  I just don't know if SD is one of them.  You can probably find the answer somewhere here on ARFCOM or somebody will chime in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top