Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2020 12:25:26 AM EDT
New here and wondering if there is a thread somewhere about what is legal or illegal as far as building an ar. I know the idiotic 10 rd mag rule but wondering what else can and can't be done in nj
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#1]
no adjustable stock
no bayonet lug
no removable muzzle device (we're allowed brakes. NOT flash hiders)
no threaded barrel? not sure about this.....
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no threaded barrel? not sure about this.....
View Quote

Can not have a threaded barrel on a rifle if you already have another "evil feature", like a pistol grip - hence the need to permanently install a muzzle brake.  Permanent install negates the threads (as per ATF during the fed AWB - the only guidance we really have to go by, since the state is purposefully vague on all rules & regs)

M1As can have a threaded flash suppressor, because they don't have a pistol grip.  If you put an MiA in a PG stock, you have to lose the FH.

Read FAQ #15 here:  https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there a restriction on barrel length?
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:57:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is there a restriction on barrel length?
View Quote

Same as federal - 16" on rifles, 18" on shotguns.  Unlike federal, SBRs/SBSs are strictly forbidden here.  

Then there's the whole "other firearm" category, where it's not a rifle because arm brace instead of buttstock, and it's not a pistol because vertical foregrip, and it's not an AOW because >26" OAL...  there are whole threads on that subject, so we won't rehash here.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Same as federal - 16" on rifles, 18" on shotguns.  Unlike federal, SBRs/SBSs are strictly forbidden here.  

Then there's the whole "other firearm" category, where it's not a rifle because arm brace instead of buttstock, and it's not a pistol because vertical foregrip, and it's not an AOW because >26" OAL...  there are whole threads on that subject, so we won't rehash here.
View Quote

Sorry for the noob questions. Is barrel length restricted to 16" or it has to be at least 16"
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry for the noob questions. Is barrel length restricted to 16" or it has to be at least 16"
View Quote

Rifle barrels can't be any shorter than 16", but can be as long as you want.  I suggest keeping it below 102", to keep from having to get an oversize load permit to transport on the roadways...
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Rifle barrels can't be any shorter than 16", but can be as long as you want.  I suggest keeping it below 102", to keep from having to get an oversize load permit to transport on the roadways...
View Quote

Hahaha I was thinking 20" but just wanted to make sure it will be legal
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

That wouldnt be necessary unless you transported it sticking out your windows.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Refresh my memory.... 16" Including the brake. A 14.5 barrel with P/W brake to equal 16+ was GTG if I recall.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Refresh my memory.... 16" Including the brake. A 14.5 barrel with P/W brake to equal 16+ was GTG if I recall.
View Quote

Correct, since a perm. attached muzzle device becomes "part of" the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#11]
no adjustable stock on a semi-automatic firearm. Pump shotguns and bolt action/single action rifles are allowed
no bayonet lug
no removable muzzle device (we're allowed brakes. NOT flash hiders)  Must be permanently fixed aka welded
no threaded barrel? not sure about this.....     Not on long guns with another "evil feature"

Want an AR with an adjustable "pistol brace" and flash hider? Get an other firearm.

Defense inside the house- Castle doctrine
Defense outside the house- Duty to retreat
Defense out in public- maybe a stick or a rock if you can find one in time
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
no adjustable stock on a semi-automatic firearm. Pump shotguns and bolt action/single action rifles are allowed  OP asked about AR
no bayonet lug
no removable muzzle device (we're allowed brakes. NOT flash hiders)  Must be permanently fixed aka welded (IE, "non-removable")
no threaded barrel? not sure about this.....     Not on long guns with another "evil feature"

Want an AR with an adjustable "pistol brace" and flash hider? Get an other firearm.    look at what the ATF is sayng/doing first....

Defense inside the house- Castle doctrine
Defense outside the house- Duty to retreat
Defense out in public- maybe a stick or a rock if you can find one in time
View Quote

.....and if you use ANYTHING to injure someone, it is a weapon in NJ's eyes. even if it is in self defense. yes, even a stick or rock.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

.....and if you use ANYTHING to injure someone, it is a weapon in NJ's eyes. even if it is in self defense. yes, even a stick or rock.
View Quote

Ok fair.  RTSP still selling the pistol braces so as of now they should be legal.

".....and if you use ANYTHING to injure someone, it is a weapon in NJ's eyes. even if it is in self defense. yes, even a stick or rock."  Just to clarify on this: If you are a common criminal you are exempt. If you are using it in self defense, you are now a newly-minted criminal. To use these again, you would need to be promoted to a common criminal.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:32:41 AM EDT
[#14]
LOL---so true, yet so sad.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I just saw some "other firearm" sold like a rifle, 12.5 inch barrel, and pistol brace.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just saw some "other firearm" sold like a rifle, 12.5 inch barrel, and pistol brace.
View Quote

Careful...  it may RESEMBLE a rifle, but it does not meet the legal definition of a rifle because it is not designed to be shouldered.  It does not meet the legal definition of a pistol, because it has a foregrip, therefore it is not designed to be fired with one hand.  Since it is not a rifle, it can not be a short-barreled rifle, or in NJ, a sawed-off shotgun.  Therefore, under current NJ law, it is only a "firearm", and therefore, technically legal (for now).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top