Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2022 2:57:12 AM EDT
Selling my home and moving to MO. This summer maybe sooner. My once rural area has turned to garbage. Its becoming a big city and my church is started to have more and more homesexual volunteers and workers, mostly in the kids programs. The wife has family in MO so shes no stranger to the state. We love Jesus, fellow Christians, family and dogs!
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Come on over. We need more patriots.

What area ya planning to settle?
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Hate to burst your bubble but there's gay and colored folk in missuruh too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you have against “colored folk”….?
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got no problem with gay. I just dont think the church should be alright with them in the kids program seeing as gay is a mental illness that relates to sexual preference. No place in church for that.

As far as colored people, i never said i had a problem with them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Leave it up to the liberal to bring up race.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#7]
What part of MO you looking to move to?  or what area is your wife's relatives?  

We are partial to south central, and north eastern parts of the state....folks there are pretty awesome...
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Guess I won't see YA in the corn fields of northern Mo..
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Lots of good paying jobs to be had in SW MO too.

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We are partial to south central, and north eastern parts of the state....folks there are pretty awesome...
View Quote

Wife has family in california, mo and tipton
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Family in sedalia too
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#12]
We moved to Howell County last year from NH and love it. It's very rural, quiet and the people are great, the way NH used to be. NH was turning into a very liberal state what with all the covid move-ins from progressive states that surrounded us there. My wife has family here that moved in about 20 years ago from Cali for the same reasons.

I have a good friend that bought a house about 35 years ago in Buckeye, AZ on the end of a lonely dirt road. He had no neighbors. Now he's surrounded by them, up close and too personal. His wife owns quite a bit of land in northern AZ but even with their 150 acres there, the pressure to sell and subdivide it is enormous, mostly by the people from Cali trying to buy and build up there. He loves AZ but the culture has been completely upended in the past 3-4 years.

I wish you and your family the best in your move. Land/house prices have skyrocketed in our area just in the last year or so.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't ask what there is to do around here.  Nothin'.  

Unless you like peace and quiet, low cost of living, and gigabit fiber to everyone who has electricity, no matter how remote the location.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is a nice stretch of country along the river to I-70 along the river.  Once you get settled you'll need to take a drive to Lupus, just to get it out of your system.

You'll probably want to visit River Hills Sporting Clays just north of I-70 and west of the bridge across the Missouri River.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a nice stretch of country along the river to I-70 along the river.  Once you get settled you'll need to take a drive to Lupus, just to get it out of your system.

You'll probably want to visit River Hills Sporting Clays just north of I-70 and west of the bridge across the Missouri River.

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Unless you like peace and quiet, low cost of living, and gigabit fiber to everyone who has electricity, no matter how remote the location.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats fine with me :)
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only downside right now is finding a place to live, if you don't already have something lined up.  Broadband-connected rural and small-town properties got pretty popular with the mass migration to working from home - for sale or rent.  Barbershop chatter a couple of months ago said Wall Street Journal had run an article listing Tipton as the hottest real estate market in the country for a while.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Unless you like peace and quiet, low cost of living, and gigabit fiber to everyone who has CoMo coop electricity, no matter how remote the location.  
View Quote

Fixt it for you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How about this?

https://ozarksinternationalraceway.com/

I'm anxious to check it out.
View Quote

I must have my head in the sand.  I think that's the first I've heard of this.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fixt it for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you like peace and quiet, low cost of living, and gigabit fiber to everyone who has CoMo coop electricity, no matter how remote the location.  

Fixt it for you.

The area OP's talking about (California, Tipton) are served by Co-Mo, so if you live here you can get it.  Doesn't hurt to point out where it's coming from though.  

Tipton is actually home base for Co-Mo.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about this?

https://ozarksinternationalraceway.com/

I'm anxious to check it out.

I was all hyped up for it, then the last I saw no sport bike riding
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The area OP's talking about (California, Tipton) are served by Co-Mo, so if you live here you can get it.  Doesn't hurt to point out where it's coming from though.  

View Quote

I concur, but keep in mind that Ameren does serve some of the area and the City of Cali has their own muni electric, neither of which, as far as I know, have fiber available.  But certainly in you're in Moniteau County, once you get out of city limits, odds are that Co-Mo serves you.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I concur, but keep in mind that Ameren does serve some of the area and the City of Cali has their own muni electric, neither of which, as far as I know, have fiber available.  But certainly in you're in Moniteau County, once you get out of city limits, odds are that Co-Mo serves you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Cali can get it, despite a different electric provider.  I think there may have been a big push to get it to the schools, and since they were in town anyway...  

But OP, if California's your target, I can find out one way or another for you.

It's pretty easy to find the borders of the service area.  Just head off in one direction until all the smiley faces turn to frowny ones.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Is the housing market as crazy in rural mo as it is here in az and the rest of the country?
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is the housing market as crazy in rural mo as it is here in az and the rest of the country?
View Quote

I can't speak for much of the rural areas, as we've tried to look at 1 house and it was already under contract within 3 days. There is still one home that has been up for a while, but it's 2 bed 1 bath and 1000 square feet on 3 acres.

Most of the houses we've looked at within city limits have been absolutely crazy however. The very first house we looked at had 6 offers within the first 30 minutes of its open house. We put in 3 offers last weekend and didn't get any. One house wanted us to offer more, but we weren't comfortable going over our offer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:33:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Weve seen some beautiful homes on realtor for 30 plus days but they are small towns so I figured either nobody wants to live that far out or theres something wrong with the home
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Family in sedalia too
View Quote

I'm in Sedalia. If you land here give me a shout and I'll show you around.

About the small towns, there are several within 10-12 miles from Sedalia. Greenridge to the SW, nearby public hunting land with a fishing lake. Dresden, I'd put that in the NO column. Hughesville, lots of row crop farming with public hunting and a range a few miles north. Longwood, not much there, don't think even a gas station but the same public hunting area to the north. Smithton and Otterville to the east with a gas station/convenience store in Otterville and a diner in Smithton.

Truman dam is 34 miles south with hundreds of thousands of acres of land and water to hunt and fish. Great crappie fishing, super catfishing, lots of largemouth bass and white bass, duck, deer and turkey hunting.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

In our part of the state, (50 miles north of Springfield) rural property has gone up significantly in the last few years. When we bought our place near Stockton a few years ago, there were lots of reasonably priced country homes with small acreage (10-20) for sale. Now it seems there are very few to hit the market and prices have gone way up. We bought a 5 acre piece 4 years ago for $17,500 and I thought it was a little high, but it adjoined our property and I was willing to pay a little more than market value. We just bought another 5 acres connected to our land and paid $27,000. Similar 5 acre parcels are listed in the area for $50k+.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Holy Cow !

I grew up there I advise against it.     Jobs are basically govt jobs or factory work. You will want to live in Jefferson Cith
Or Columbia at a minimum.  Possibly even Lake Ozark would be worth considering.   I highly suggest spending several
day in Calmo before moving to the area.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Holy Cow !

I grew up there I advise against it.     Jobs are basically govt jobs or factory work. You will want to live in Jefferson Cith
Or Columbia at a minimum.  Possibly even Lake Ozark would be worth considering.   I highly suggest spending several
day in Calmo before moving to the area.
View Quote

Just a matter of the lifestyle you're looking for.  I specifically moved out here away from Jeff City because it was getting too 'urban'-ish... and I wouldn't live in Columbia for 3X my current salary.

Bringing fiber here opened up all kinds of job opportunities beyond factory or .gov; you can do whatever you're talented and persuasive enough to convince an employer you can do remotely.  I made six figures for 20+ years working in IT before switching gigs (granted, some of that was commuting to Jeff before fiber came along and made remote possible).

Agriculture opportunities abound if that's your bag.  

Different strokes...
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Is 50 HWY 4 lane from California to Jeff now?  Haven't been through there in years and heard it was.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Is 50 HWY 4 lane from California to Jeff now?  Haven't been through there in years and heard it was.
View Quote

Yep.  It probably shaves ten minutes off of a trip from JC to Sedalia.  Five for sure.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:36:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Well I sold my house here in az. Once money hits my account I can get started on putting in some offers and hopefully move out there once my kids are out of school in may
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Wife likes lake of the ozarks area and surrounding areas. Im up for anywhere really as long as theres a barn or shop on the property. Some really nice places there
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 2:21:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There are some very nice places.  I think it's too crowded close to the lake, and the season for vacations and fishing is worse.  The real estate prices are considerably increased.

Your fast move is interesting.

We may build a new house in order to get what we want.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wife likes lake of the ozarks area and surrounding areas. Im up for anywhere really as long as theres a barn or shop on the property. Some really nice places there
There are some very nice places.  I think it's too crowded close to the lake, and the season for vacations and fishing is worse.  The real estate prices are considerably increased.

Your fast move is interesting.

We may build a new house in order to get what we want.

Yea wed love to build one but we need to move soon. Our area is going downhill quick and growing very fast. Traffic is terrible. Driving home from work at 5pm id see maybe 10 cars on my 20 minute drive. Now theres a light every 100 feet and rush hour traffic. I could stop by my barber whenever I felt like it and grab a beer and get a cut. Now you have to book an appointment 2 weeks out to see him. Glad hes making money but it sucks for me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Lake of the Ozarks is a very interesting area.  You can go from multi million dollar mansions to run down trailer houses within a few minute drive.  Lots of steep rocky hills and hollers.  

Like Aero said, in the summer, on holiday weekends it is a madhouse.  On those same holiday weekends, on Friday afternoon Hwy. 54 turns into a bit of a shitshow with all the incoming KS and IL traffic.  If you like getting on the water and fishing, there is good fishing to be had, but most of the fishermen I know don't even try to go on summer weekends because of the big boat traffic.  There are some out of the way coves to hit and early morning isn't as bad, but otherwise it's no place for a fishing boat.

If you scroll down through the MO HTF, there was a guy (out of stater, I think) that bought some ground a little north of LotO about a year back.  If it hasn't archived, there should be some good info in that thread.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Lake of the ozarks is pretty crazy but after visiting about every big lake in the state, having your own dock in your back yard is hard to beat.  If you want to fish you just have to do it between dawn and 9-10am when the lunacy starts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top