Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2018 8:41:51 AM EDT
Looking at a new vehicle and it so happens to have leather seats.

Are leather seats a bad idea in Florida?
How many times have you burnt your legs getting in your vehicle?

I tend to keep vehicles 10+ years. Are they going to look like crap after 10 years?

What about wearing ones CCW in a vehicle with leather seats?
Has your CCW ripped the leather?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]
My grandpa spec 2004 Crown Victoria had the tan/beige "leather" seats and they held up very well (bought the car in 2008, sold it to my dad in 2015, he's still driving it). Some wear and tear but no holes.  I made sure to keep it clean and conditioned as best I could.

As for burning my legs, window tint, Ventvisors, and windshield sun shads helped a lot. I also kept a towel for days that I was getting in the car filthy from the range or when I was wearing shorts.

My replacement for the CV was a 2011 Explorer that spent its entire life (before I owned it) in Merritt Island. It's got black leather and has the A/C seats and remote start . . . that very nice for the warm weather down here.  I still do everything I did with the CV as far as taking care of the leather and other items (ventvisors, sunshade, window tint, etc) and at 7 years old and 108k miles the interior still looks good even after 2 years toting a wee one and a dog around. L
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I have black leather in my Silverado Crew and don’t have any issues.  I wear shorts probably 90% of the time and never burn my legs but I do ha e window tint which helps a lot.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you find the seats retain heat making it take longer to cool down during the summer?

What about your CCW, is it indenting the leather?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Leather SUCKS!

Or maybe I never had decent leather.  All the cars I had with leather wore fast, hot in the sun, & yeah the butt of my gun indents the bolster.
No conditioning I ever did prevented it. I'm never getting leather again if I have that option. My current Infiniti leather is worn bad on the bottom of the back bolster & outside driver door bolster.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a black on black Integra a few years back and I dont ever rember the leather getting too terribly hot. Even in just board shorts it didnt seem too bad and I had as dark as legal tint. It was definitely warmer in summer but fairly normal for a black car in florida. I cant speak to the CCW issue since I didnt back then. Proper leather maintenance goes a long way in preserving the look and longevity. Id think jamming something hard into the leather and agitating it would wear it out faster though, but that all depends on how extreme and sharp it is.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a truck with leather and it’s not bad. Like others have said, the vent visors and good windshield sun shade does wonders.

Plus, I can turn on the cooled/ventilated seats if it’s too warm.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Plus, I can turn on the cooled/ventilated seats if it’s too warm.
View Quote
I am sure that helps a lot if said vehicle is so equipped.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 2017 Ford F 150 Supercrew cab 4x4 with leather.
I love it. It does not get hot and it looks as good as the day I bought the truck.  I of coarse wipe on leather conditioner once a month.

I'd had cloth seats in all my vehicles before this. I have to say, I like the leather best. I've had 7 new vehicles in my life time.

I just like the look, smell and feel of the Katzkin leather that came in the truck.

If I go hunting ect... I use weather tech seat covers. Even if you had cloth seats I'd expect you'd use some kind of covers to protect them the same as leather if you went hunting or camping.

After all cloth or leather does not mix well with hog blood or guts. Trust me on that lol
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had a DD with black leather seats for the last 3 years.  I have not had any problems.  They are better than plastic fake leather.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Honda Pilot with leather and never thought about this until I read your post.  Never noticed anything.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#11]
My RX8 had leather seats. I was never uncomfortable on them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a Black car/black leather interior/trim.  Essentially everything black with no tint.  It was HOT, but the seats were not lava hot like you might expect.  The hottest thing in the car was the stick (manual trans).  It had a silver shifter head/ball.  Now that would get dangerously hot.  Think Home Alone burnt palm hot.

I now have a white exterior with black leather everything interior and I've never had an instance of hot hot hot ass.  A/C cools off the interior within a minute or so.  Changing from black exterior to white made a huge difference.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Even if you had cloth seats I'd expect you'd use some kind of covers to protect them the same as leather if you went hunting or camping.
View Quote
Yes, even with cloth I do put on a towel if its a hot, sweaty work day or a day at the range.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Lots of favorable replies for leather.
May have to check the next model up.
Usually I get the model just under the leather package.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Leather or ‘pleather’ all the way, when you spill something on cloth seats it’s over.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 6:01:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I have black leather interior with heavily tinted windows.  No problems here. Yeah, the interior air is hot when I get in, but rolling the windows down and blasting the fan blows that heat out fairly quickly.  Never burned my skin in shorts.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Leather or ‘pleather’ all the way, when you spill something on cloth seats it’s over.
View Quote
One of the reasons I get leather seats. Don't remember ever feeling like the seats were super hot either! No even on my wife's MDX, my Mustang has cooled seats so...
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#18]
My truck has ventilated leather seats, no problems at all.  I'd never buy cloth seats, to hard to keep clean.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:49:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have black leather in my Silverado Crew and don’t have any issues.  I wear shorts probably 90% of the time and never burn my legs but I do ha e window tint which helps a lot.
View Quote
I've got black leather in my Jeep, factory tint, and I wear shorts alot.

No problems.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#20]
IDK, I guess my body is too big or my seats are too small
I just did a road trip & those seats were hot & uncomfortable & my left thigh kept sliding off the bolster.  Then after 3 hours I got out of the seat & there was a big crease on the bolster.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I have leather seats in the Infiniti. I do the classic Florida move of starting the car before I leave to cool it down.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Black leather. My car is almost 14 years old.  Interior looks almost new.

I wipe the interiors with Ballistol 2-3 times a year, with neatsfoot oil preservative every few years.

Does not get hot. Leave sun roof cracked open, religiously use sun visor. Car is parked indoors at night, but is under the sun M-F all day.

Doesn't get that hot. Wear shorts all the time, never burn myself. I run the aircon sparingly. On the highway, yes, in stop and go traffic, very little.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Just tint your windows. It’ll be fine. I have black leather.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top