Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 9/27/2021 2:18:18 PM EDT
The wife and I put an offer in on an acreage just outside of Boone city limits that sits on 4 acres (2acres timber, 2 acres grass/house) that was accepted. The timber is really steep and is in a ravine with 40+ft emabankments. According to Google maps, the farthest distance I'd be away from the nearest houses is 125-150yds as the crow flys. This isn't confirmed though as I haven't ventured down to where I'd likely shoot and used a range finder.

I know for hunting, the law is 200yds from an inhabited building unless you have landowner permission. I was curious if this applies to target shooting on your own property or not? There is a thread on the Iowa Sportsman forum that makes it really unclear about shooting on your own property.

As you can see from the picture, there are no houses to the west or NW, only on the SW corner but I'd be on the NW corner of the timber shooting to the west
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The wife and I put an offer in on an acreage just outside of Boone city limits that sits on 4 acres (2acres timber, 2 acres grass/house). The timber is really steep and is in a ravine with 40+ft emabankments. According to Google maps, the farthest distance I'd be away from the nearest houses is 125-150yds as the crow flys. This isn't confirmed though as I haven't ventured down to where I'd likely shoot and used a range finder.

I know for hunting, the law is 200yds from an inhabited building unless you have landowner permission. I was curious if this applies to target shooting on your own property or not? There is a thread on the Iowa Sportsman forum that makes it really unclear about shooting on your own property.

As you can see from the picture, there are no houses to the west or NW, only on the SW corner but I'd be on the NW corner of the timber shooting to the west
https://i.imgur.com/FRNUSoL.jpg
View Quote

IANAL but I think the distance applies to discharging of a firearm regardless if for hunting or sport.  The law is worded a bit murky, but I looked into it at one point and got the impression that they could still raise a stink if they wanted.  

My recommendation is be a courteous neighbor and not give them any reason to make a stink.  Suppressors will go a long way to not being a nuisance to them, as will not shooting at inappropriate hours.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

IANAL but I think the distance applies to discharging of a firearm regardless if for hunting or sport.  The law is worded a bit murky, but I looked into it at one point and got the impression that they could still raise a stink if they wanted.  

My recommendation is be a courteous neighbor and not give them any reason to make a stink.  Suppressors will go a long way to not being a nuisance to them, as will not shooting at inappropriate hours.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking. I have a .22 suppressor in jail right now and I'd like to atleast be able to shoot suppressed 22 and handgun. I don't know if I'd shoot any rifle or not
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck OP.  That is well within my comfort zone.  

I shoot ~5,000+ rounds / yr at home, closest neighbor is ~200 yards from my rifle bench, ~300 yards and a hill from my pistol bay.  Other neighbors are 1/2 mile +.

I would reevaluate your purchase if shooting is a priority.  OR, visit with your concerned potential neighbors ahead of time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like a lot of neighbors fairly close.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Only 2 neighbors within the 200yd range. Nothing but Des Moines river valley timber to the west which would be the direction I'd be shooting
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Only 2 neighbors within the 200yd range. Nothing but Des Moines river valley timber to the west which would be the direction I'd be shooting
View Quote
Sounds like you only care about the law.  

Maybe that neighbor to your SW is super cool.  But if they're only semi-cool they're going to get tired of a person shooting very much.  And maybe your shooting volume fits within their coolness.  I'd talk to them unless you want to talk to the Sheriff later on about legality and have an ongoing dispute with someone you share a property line with.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The wife and I put an offer in on an acreage just outside of Boone city limits that sits on 4 acres (2acres timber, 2 acres grass/house) that was accepted. The timber is really steep and is in a ravine with 40+ft emabankments. According to Google maps, the farthest distance I'd be away from the nearest houses is 125-150yds as the crow flys. This isn't confirmed though as I haven't ventured down to where I'd likely shoot and used a range finder.

View Quote

Think about how far an errant round can travel, 125-150 yards is not far enough away.

IMO, get a membership to the Boone sportsmen's club for $55 per year and keep the peace with your new neighbors.

http://boonesportsmensclub.com/
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Think about how far an errant round can travel, 125-150 yards is not far enough away.

IMO, get a membership to the Boone sportsmen's club for $55 per year and keep the peace with your new neighbors.

http://boonesportsmensclub.com/
View Quote

Already a member
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The law about yardage applies to hunting. If you are not in any type of subdivision and it is considered at least rural residential  there isn't much they can do about it. If the Sheriff is at least moderately 2A I don't see an issue with him.  As long as you have an adequate backstop and shoot during the day there is not really much the neighbors can do. They can try but will be shut down by the law. Now if you want to have cordial relations I would possibly discuss it with them. I would still setup a range and maybe plant some fast growing pines to set up a sound buffer. Suppressor is an option but for how many different guns.

I have an acreage miles away from town but 3 neighbors w/i about 800'. Closest being 400' or so. Lived here 23 yrs. Different neighbors in all three places over that time. None have bitched but I don't go crazy at night and have gone through hundreds of rds at a time more than once during the day. One thing that really helps is being on a different shift than the neighbors. Big thing here is just who the neighbors are and if you want to push your rights if need be. If they shoot invite them over and add to the fun.

Just my $.02worth. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#10]
When I put together the upper for my 7.5" AR pistol, took it out to CCA. Test fired it off the back porch across the pond.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When I put together the upper for my 7.5" AR pistol, took it out to CCA. Test fired it off the back porch across the pond.
View Quote

i remember that day.  ar pistols were barely a thing then.  times have changed...  ;)
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good luck OP.  That is well within my comfort zone.  

I shoot ~5,000+ rounds / yr at home, closest neighbor is ~200 yards from my rifle bench, ~300 yards and a hill from my pistol bay.  Other neighbors are 1/2 mile +.

I would reevaluate your purchase if shooting is a priority.  OR, visit with your concerned potential neighbors ahead of time.
View Quote

Offer your neighbors permission to use your range at any reasonable time, they may well surprise you and say you're good to go.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

i remember that day.  ar pistols were barely a thing then.  times have changed...  ;)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed. Still have that setup, albeit the lower is now registered, and put a linear comp on so it's not near as obnoxious.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Indeed. Still have that setup, albeit the lower is now registered, and put a linear comp on so it's not near as obnoxious.
View Quote

On that topic, what's the best bang for the buck for a reasonably-priced and not-huge linear compensator, for someone that has no interest in researching it to death and microanalyzing things?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

On that topic, what's the best bang for the buck for a reasonably-priced and not-huge linear compensator, for someone that has no interest in researching it to death and microanalyzing things?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw-Valley-Precision-22cal-Linear-Comp-1-2x28-Blac-p/kvp-linear223-blk.htm

They also do an FDE one if that's more your style.

I've also got one on a 10.5" 7.62x39 upper.

Another solid option if you don't mind Springfield

https://store.springfield-armory.com/Shop/pc/SAINT-Victor-Pistol-Blast-Diverter-223-5-56-p1928.htm

I have one of those also.

ETA: If you want to try it sometime, just shoot me an IM. Pretty easy to work some range time into my schedule as long as you're in Des Moines.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The law about yardage applies to hunting. If you are not in any type of subdivision and it is considered at least rural residential  there isn't much they can do about it. If the Sheriff is at least moderately 2A I don't see an issue with him.  As long as you have an adequate backstop and shoot during the day there is not really much the neighbors can do. They can try but will be shut down by the law. Now if you want to have cordial relations I would possibly discuss it with them. I would still setup a range and maybe plant some fast growing pines to set up a sound buffer. Suppressor is an option but for how many different guns.

I have an acreage miles away from town but 3 neighbors w/i about 800'. Closest being 400' or so. Lived here 23 yrs. Different neighbors in all three places over that time. None have bitched but I don't go crazy at night and have gone through hundreds of rds at a time more than once during the day. One thing that really helps is being on a different shift than the neighbors. Big thing here is just who the neighbors are and if you want to push your rights if need be. If they shoot invite them over and add to the fun.

Just my $.02worth. YMMV
View Quote

I believe your statement about the yardage for hunting is correct and not for recreational shooting.  Also with a suppressed .22lr, they won't know.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top