Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2018 3:45:24 PM EDT
I know there are a lot of current and former LEOs on here.
I have looked at Alabama Code 13A-3-23 and see where it specifically says that if you are being pulled from your vehicle
you can defend yourself but I thought it was legal to defend you property (i.e. your car) if someone was beating on the hood,
or attempting to break the windshield or headlights. I can't seem to find that verbiage.

With all the unrest in town right now, I just wondered what are my options since it appears that if they want to do it,
they are being giving the opportunity to do so.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Non-LEO, just offering my 2 cents as a Hoover resident. Never stop moving. Avoid until you can't, fight when you have to. Insurance can cover damage if they only attack the vehicle and you get away. If they try to pull you out; dissuade them.

Do you have a dash cam system?
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#2]
No - I don't have a dashcam system, but I see that they are VERY popular now a days.. hence all the vehicle accident videos on YouTube.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There have been prosecutions of persons when they shot through the glass.

Alabaster mom comes to mind.

I think simple beating on the vehicle is not going to be good enough. Someone beating on the glass with an object attempting to make entry?

YMMV
View Quote
If you are talking about the one at the 238 exit, that was called a Road Rage incident.  She and a woman in a grey Station Wagon were heading south.  The woman that shot was in a Black(?) SUV.  The woman in the SUV tried to pass the woman in the station wagon several times but the woman in the Station wagon kept cutting her off.  The woman in the Station Wagon threw stuff out of her sun roof.  They both got to the 238 exit.  The woman in the Station Wagon lived to the left and started to go that way.  The woman in the SUV lived to the right and got into the right lane.  The woman in the Station Wagon then pulled over to the right to block in the SUV.  The woman in the SUV then rolled down her window to yell for help.  The woman in the Station Wagon then got out and beat on the SUV and came up to the open window spitting and screaming.  The woman in the SUV then shot and killed the other woman. The DA convicted the woman in the SUV because he said that she could have driven away even though it took officers several minutes to get the SUV by the Station Wagon.  She lost her right to own a gun and spent 5 years in prison.
(Some minor details are left out)
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Defense of property is covered in 13A-3-26:

A person is justified in using physical force, other than deadly physical force, upon another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission by the other person of theft or criminal mischief with respect to property other than premises as defined in Section 13A-3-20.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:26:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Is that why people love carrying the old Maglights that took 3-D cell batteries?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that why people love carrying the old Maglights that took 3-D cell batteries?
View Quote
For what, use as a weapon?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top