Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2022 2:54:24 AM EDT
Anyone active or recently retired LEO in Idaho?

I've read multiple threads of Idahoans airing their concerns because of transplants but at least I'm not from Cali and I'm conservative... won't claim Idaho will fix my problems.... won't claim to know more about your state or way of life than you... just wanna walk the mountains and enjoy the small things in life while I'm young.

Now, that is out of the way.....

Anyone know good departments with strong support from community and administration?

I would imagine Boise is a no go.... no jab for me.

Any recommendations will be considered. I currently work for a department (Sheriff's) with about 80 on patrol for reference on experience. I'd like opportunity for a K9. Currently run a dog.

Have similar interests with Montana and Wyoming but Idaho is my first choice.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Deputies with the Ada County Sheriffs Office and officers with the Meridian Police Department that I know are all happy with their agencies currently.

Wasn't the case for Ada County with the prior Sheriff but the current one seems good to go. The problem you'll face with smaller agencies outside the cities will be the lack of pay/benefits.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Deputies with the Ada County Sheriffs Office and officers with the Meridian Police Department that I know are all happy with their agencies currently.

Wasn't the case for Ada County with the prior Sheriff but the current one seems good to go. The problem you'll face with smaller agencies outside the cities will be the lack of pay/benefits.
View Quote

Well Op if you want to work for a department that arrests ladies in the park while their children play and nobody is around, Meridian PD is the place for you.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well Op if you want to work for a department that arrests ladies in the park while their children play and nobody is around, Meridian PD is the place for you.
View Quote

Don't let one mistake define the entire force. Not saying what they did was right or wrong, because I don't know the details.

But thanks nonetheless for the insight.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Twin Falls, Jerome and Gooding PD are hiring in my area.

View Quote

I'll check them out, thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what happened with our dept. Except the opposite in getting a new sheriff.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Don't let one mistake define the entire force. Not saying what they did was right or wrong, because I don't know the details.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will help you out. It was wrong.

It happened all over the US by many police departments.

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll give you the quick details. Covid crazyness shutdown everything. Lady was at an empty park letting her child play, literally nobody around. Dick head cop decides this lady and child are in a closed park and have to leave for their own health. Lady said NO and then idiot cop decides to take it to epic shit show levels because she ain't respecting his authority, cop also gets butt hurt when protesters show up to his residence to voice their displeasure with his actions.

I could be slightly wrong on minor details but either way nearly everybody agrees the cop was a bitch ass punk
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Ada County Sheriff’s Office is probably the best agency here in southern Idaho and also the biggest in the whole state. @Matt58
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ada County Sheriff’s Office is probably the best agency here in southern Idaho and also the biggest in the whole state. @Matt58
View Quote

Thanks for doxing me bro!

I kid, I kid!!!

I will agree with @DillyDilly on this one!

Ask away, I will answer what I can!

We are the law enforcement agency of choice for all criminal justice services!

P.S. We hire about .8-1% of our applicants…

ETA: feel free to PM me if you wanna get down and dirty on the details!
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I know ISP and IDOC officers and have spoken with Nampa PD.

ISP guys seem to love their job, Nampa PD seemed like they liked it as well, stay the fuck away from IDOC. Really that's all I have to offer is don't go IDOC no matter what :P
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I will also echo ACSO is the best in the state.  In my dealings with their road deputies, they have always been really good folks.  Their detention deputies I’ve known have been a 50/50 mix of good guy vs. shithead.  

The ISP folks I’ve known were decent.  A few I dealt with really thought the shit didn’t stink, but thats a highway cop for you.  They always “think” they’re the best.  

Boise PD have decent street guys but their leadership sucks ass.  Quite a few of them are out of state lateral hires and some of them act like they’re still working out of whatever hoodrat department they came from.  

The small town PD’s are a mixed bag.  The saying, “If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.” is true with what I’ve seen.  

All in all LE from what I’ve seen isn’t too bad here.  I know, respect and understand they have a hard job, but it is still Idaho.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll give you the quick details. Covid crazyness shutdown everything. Lady was at an empty park letting her child play, literally nobody around. Dick head cop decides this lady and child are in a closed park and have to leave for their own health. Lady said NO and then idiot cop decides to take it to epic shit show levels because she ain't respecting his authority, cop also gets butt hurt when protesters show up to his residence to voice their displeasure with his actions.

I could be slightly wrong on minor details but either way nearly everybody agrees the cop was a bitch ass punk
View Quote

Yeah, I'm definitely not keen on that nor do I support or follow that. We had calls of people reporting "non essential" businesses operating. All of my calls were unfounded.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I kid, I kid!!!

View Quote

I may take you up on that. Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I know ISP and IDOC officers and have spoken with Nampa PD.

ISP guys seem to love their job, Nampa PD seemed like they liked it as well, stay the fuck away from IDOC. Really that's all I have to offer is don't go IDOC no matter what :P
View Quote

Just to clarify, what does IDOC stand for?

ISP was on the radar. At least they're police and not troopers like here in WI. Not sure if that makes a difference in duties out in ID though.

I'll check Nampa. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:05:04 AM EDT
[#16]
IDOC = Idaho Department of Corrections
DO NOT work for them

While ISP has “police” in their name, they mainly run the highways and interstates in the larger cities/towns. In the smaller areas (most of Idaho) they are the back-up to the smaller Sheriff and Police agencies.

They’ve got some good dudes but in typical trooper fashion, they will write another LEO (off-duty) for going 3 over the speed limit. In our AO, they take all the crashes on the interstate unless it’s an absolute mess (like really bad snow storm or ice), then we all get to take some.

I will respond to your PM in the morning; gotta hit the rack!
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 4:57:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IDOC = Idaho Department of Corrections
DO NOT work for them

While ISP has “police” in their name, they mainly run the highways and interstates in the larger cities/towns. In the smaller areas (most of Idaho) they are the back-up to the smaller Sheriff and Police agencies.

They’ve got some good dudes but in typical trooper fashion, they will write another LEO (off-duty) for going 3 over the speed limit. In our AO, they take all the crashes on the interstate unless it’s an absolute mess (like really bad snow storm or ice), then we all get to take some.

I will respond to your PM in the morning; gotta hit the rack!
View Quote

Okay yep ISP probably not for me then. I'm not huge into tickets or traffic for purposes other than criminal activity.

Just like our DOC. Same rule applies.

Sounds good, thank you again

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I kid, I kid!!!

View Quote

Sorry broski! I figured you'd find your way into this thread eventually so I sped up that process.

I'll add to this convo: prior to to my close interactions with ACSO, I had a somewhat of a negative opinion of our area's LEO i.e. Caldwell, Meridian, and Boise. Still maintain that mindset about those specifically but not LEO in general. A ton of honest, hard working professionals work for ACSO and it helps when their leader is a publicly elected , not appointed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sorry broski! I figured you'd find your way into this thread eventually so I sped up that process.

I'll add to this convo: prior to to my close interactions with ACSO, I had a somewhat of a negative opinion of our area's LEO i.e. Caldwell, Meridian, and Boise. Still maintain that mindset about those specifically but not LEO in general. A ton of honest, hard working professionals work for ACSO and it helps when their leader is a publicly elected , not appointed.
View Quote

It's all good my man!  Haven't spoken to you in a while, hope all is well!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Nope.  If you're looking at N Idaho, go with CDAPD.  Better employee representation, and city wages always beat out county wages.  Or be like all the other N Idaho cops and go work for Spokane City or Spokane County.  They have hiring bonuses in the neighborhood of $25/k.  Work in a dump, but come home and live/play in Idaho.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nope.  If you're looking at N Idaho, go with CDAPD.  Better employee representation, and city wages always beat out county wages.  Or be like all the other N Idaho cops and go work for Spokane City or Spokane County.  They have hiring bonuses in the neighborhood of $25/k.  Work in a dump, but come home and live/play in Idaho.
View Quote

Here in Ada Co, only Boise pays more than ACSO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top