Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2020 10:35:50 PM EDT
Thinking of a putting a laser / light combo on my home defense AR.   What do you guys/gals recommend?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:16:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Why a laser? A red dot type optic eliminates the need for a laser. As for a light, Surefire is the only light I would put on a rifle. A cheaper 6p or a mini scout with a tape switch.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:26:09 AM EDT
[#2]
A laser would allow hip shooting, if needed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why a laser? A red dot type optic eliminates the need for a laser. As for a light, Surefire is the only light I would put on a rifle. A cheaper 6p or a mini scout with a tape switch.
View Quote
The main reason for a laser is because my wife may be using it in a home defense situation.  I want her to have something that it point and shoot with one less thing to think about in an emergency situation.  It will have a red dot on top.  
This AR is 10.5 pistol build.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A laser would allow hip shooting, if needed.
View Quote
I can't see my wife taking time to aim real well either.  While she can shoot, and it very accurate given time, she isn't working at it as much as I do.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Crimson trace just came out with a laser light combo for $250.   Announced at shot show.  FDE and black color.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Crimson trace just came out with a laser light combo for $250.   Announced at shot show.  FDE and black color.
View Quote
Ill have to see what I can find for an AR platform.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I like a laser 1000 lumin light combo on a 12 gauge. Olight, can use light, laser, or both. pretty slick and has held up well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have thousands of rounds through guns with Streamlights and Inforce. Never had an issue with either
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Me too, I have only streamlights on my firearms and have not had an issue with any of them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#10]
It’ll be harder for your wife to actually activate the laser than to aim in a stressful situation. A good red dot is simple, put the dot on the bad guy and shoot.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have thousands of rounds through guns with Streamlights and Inforce. Never had an issue with either
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you ever dropped one? YMMV. I've never had anything but trouble with Streamlights.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It’ll be harder for your wife to actually activate the laser than to aim in a stressful situation. A good red dot is simple, put the dot on the bad guy and shoot.
View Quote
Grip switch.  Squeeze the grip, lazer comes on.  No thinking involved.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Have you ever dropped one? YMMV. I've never had anything but trouble with Streamlights.
View Quote
On purpose and on accident. No issues ever
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like a laser 1000 lumin light combo on a 12 gauge. Olight, can use light, laser, or both. pretty slick and has held up well.
View Quote
Thanks.  I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A grip switch is what I am thinking of at this point.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#16]
A surefire M600 dual fuel, a Steiner OTAL and a tape switch that activates both at once (comes with Steiner DBALS) will activate the light and laser when you press a single button.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had a lot of success and am very happy with a streamlight TLR1.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I have several of these lights. They are strong, cheap, bright AF with an LED bulb, a bit heavy though.

Attachment Attached File

I have a few Streamlight TLR series lights that are GTG also, but not quite as robust.

I am not a fan of lasers at all. By the time I find the dot and put it where it needs to go I can have several rounds on target using traditional methods. YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top