Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2019 4:57:15 PM EDT
My son is in the Army in SLC and was thinking of fixing his eyes. He was wondering if any Laser Eye places out there take Tri Care and if there are any that can be recommended over others. Any experience in this area would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume you're talking about LASIK or PRK. If so, I thought this was usually considered elective and insurance didn't pay. I paid cash for my LASIK about 12 years ago and it was worth every penny. Still 20/15 vision.

My BIL is an infantry office. He had PRK. Hurts longer but supposed to be more durable.

For what it's worth, I had my surgery at Excel Eye Center, in Utah County.

https://www.exceleyecenter.com/

ETA: Found this.

https://www.tricare.mil/CoveredServices/IsItCovered/EyeSurgeryTreatment
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:03:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I work for the U and we recently got notified that Tricare is no longer covered.  Dont know if they meant Tricare West (active guys) or Tricare for retirees.

But I hear good things about the Moran Eye Center.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 12:15:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@geoint are you at the hospital?
View Quote
No, one of the clinics
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Late to the party but figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.
I had PRK done 10 years ago at LasikPlus in Murray. Went amazing, no complaints, fast forward to last year when I 've been noticing I wasn't able to see as well any more. Got a test done and I was 20/30. LasikPlus has a lifetime guarantee because eyes change over time obviously. So I had the PRK process done again free of charge in December. Just had my last followup appointment and I' m back to 20/15.
I'd recommend LasikPlus to anyone. I had PRK both times, recovery was a bit harder this time around but it's probably because I'm on a smart phone or a laptop 24/7.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:00:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Tell him to contact his active duty optometry clinic.   They can give him an exam and tell him if he is a good candidate for the procedure.  There military eye clinics that will do it.  Before I retired, the USAF one was at the AF Acedemy in Colorado Springs.   They might do it for Army too.  He just needs get his commander's permission for a permissive TDY and pay for his flight.  No driving after the procedure.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Guy I know is active duty.  Had it done at Colorado Springs.  I think it might depend on MOS though.  He was TACP.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top