Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2019 7:10:15 AM EDT
Hey guys

Was wondering what pros and cons with buying some land for retirement in Oregon.

Thnaks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:50:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on where you buy.  But it's stupid expensive.

If it's cheap, then it is in the middle of nowhere.

Like $200k for 5 acres.   $30k for a 0.15 acre city lot.

There are cheap chunks of land.   But they are an hours drive from a small town
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:57:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Well you're on a gun web site, so I suppose you're pro gun and conservative?
Oregon is a deep blue state. Our government is trying hard to take away our guns and other rights. Other states are actually passing laws to protect gun owners, not Oregon. You can live in Eastern Oregon and be surrounded by extremely conservative people, but still ruled by liberals.
Our taxes are pretty high and I see them going up even more. DMV and hunting licenses and tags have doubled recently because our state is broke and trying to get money wherever they can.
There's cheap land if you look around. Depends on what you call cheap. When I was looking for a ranch a few years ago I found out a lot of places are in flood zones. Many actually do flood often. Other places don't have ground water, even though it rains a lot here. People have water trucked in. I've seen people collecting water off their barn roof.

ETA: do your research. I've read that Oregon's cost of living or taxes are like 3rd highest in the nation. I've also seen stuff saying Oregon has bad tax laws for retirees.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, tell us what you're looking for. Weather, terrain, price, etc. Do you need to be close to a city with hospitals and stuff? Price range. I can give you some ideas.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Because of lefty liberal land use planning laws Oregon has over priced real estate. It is also becoming a very anti-gun state with gun and magazine bans, restrictions on CC permits etc. just around the corner. I would recommend going to some other more conservative state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top