Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2022 8:23:43 PM EDT
So, I'm moving there in August with my family from NE Ohio. My wife's job is bringing us there, and after navigating the shit show of the real estate market we landed on a home in LaGrange. I have two kids that will attend Oldham County HS.

So, what am I in for living outside Louisville?

My son is a pretty good travel baseball player that will be a Freshman. I'm struggling to find a good baseball academy/instruction facility or program in the area. More specifically he needs to find a good pitching coach to continue his progress as a dominant lefty.

Would love any insight, suggestions, or helpful hints about the area. Hopefully I can run into a few of you at a range or pub sometime. Cheers!
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So, I'm moving there in August with my family from NE Ohio. My wife's job is bringing us there, and after navigating the shit show of the real estate market we landed on a home in LaGrange. I have two kids that will attend Oldham County HS.

So, what am I in for living outside Louisville?

My son is a pretty good travel baseball player that will be a Freshman. I'm struggling to find a good baseball academy/instruction facility or program in the area. More specifically he needs to find a good pitching coach to continue his progress as a dominant lefty.

Would love any insight, suggestions, or helpful hints about the area. Hopefully I can run into a few of you at a range or pub sometime. Cheers!
View Quote

Not a bad area to live in but more congested now a days due to proximity to Louisville.  It is a prison town since there are currently 3 prisons in the immediate vicinity and 1 other about 15 minutes away.

Many of the staff live around there which is not a bad thing since most are good people.  

But just thought I would let you know so you are not surprised

But overall not a bad place.

Link Posted: 7/24/2022 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I grew up there and graduated from OC in the late 80’s.

LaGrange is a nice town, has grown quite a bit since I left in the 90’s.  Oldham is really one large bedroom community for Louisville.
OC exploded in growth in the 80’s due Louisville’s decision to start bussing in public schools.

Schools are still good there, mostly conservative county, but is growing slightly more blue by the
Election cycle.  There are a handful of parks in the county, including an aquatics center at the park closest to OCHS.
There’s also access to the Ohio River at Westport Park.

Not sure about ranges up that way.

Restaurants are pretty typical chain places, but there are local independent businesses in Lagrange
Hometown Pizza is pretty awesome. Hell I worked there years ago.

Overall, quiet bedroom community, with good schools and housing . Louisville is 20 min away and Cincinnati, I think less than an hour.
Oh yea, I-71 is a shitshow. It should be 6 lanes from downtown to LaGrange, but it’s not. I think the state is supposed to widen the portion in Jefferson county, but that does little to alleviate Oldham traffic.  71 cuts through the upper income areas of Louisville, hence the reason that it’s never been upgraded
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not a bad area to live in but more congested now a days due to proximity to Louisville.  It is a prison town since there are currently 3 prisons in the immediate vicinity and 1 other about 15 minutes away.

Many of the staff live around there which is not a bad thing since most are good people.  

But just thought I would let you know so you are not surprised

But overall not a bad place.

View Quote

True but LaGrange always felt more like a quiet bedroom community of Louisville. KSR, Luther Lockett and Roederer always seemed to exist in their own world between Buckner and LaGrange

To your point, Eddyville would be more like a prison town.  LaGrange has other business and industry. Eddyville IS the state pen
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
@sixtime43

How did the move go? I just saw this post. I live in La Grange....

Did your son get help with Baseball? My son trained at Lou Ott Baseball and it was great.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@sixtime43

How did the move go? I just saw this post. I live in La Grange....

Did your son get help with Baseball? My son trained at Lou Ott Baseball and it was great.
View Quote

@HoodyHoo21

Move went well thanks for asking. Still working to get settled in, but all in all pretty good. Exploring the area has been fun, and the folks around here have been really friendly. The Drive-in has been a big hit for the family!

My son has sort of found some baseball. He has been working out with the high school team, which he has really been enjoying, and will try out for that team in February I believe. He missed the tryout dates for a travel team called "The Wolves" due to the move, but maybe next year for them.
Beyond that, not much more than throwing bullpen sessions with me. I'm glad you mentioned the Lou Ott Baseball facility... I had planned on reaching out to them and hoped they might be able to help.

Thanks for the info regarding Lou Ott Baseball. I'll buy you a cold one on Main Street sometime while watching the tourists dodge the train.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@HoodyHoo21

Move went well thanks for asking. Still working to get settled in, but all in all pretty good. Exploring the area has been fun, and the folks around here have been really friendly. The Drive-in has been a big hit for the family!

My son has sort of found some baseball. He has been working out with the high school team, which he has really been enjoying, and will try out for that team in February I believe. He missed the tryout dates for a travel team called "The Wolves" due to the move, but maybe next year for them.
Beyond that, not much more than throwing bullpen sessions with me. I'm glad you mentioned the Lou Ott Baseball facility... I had planned on reaching out to them and hoped they might be able to help.

Thanks for the info regarding Lou Ott Baseball. I'll buy you a cold one on Main Street sometime while watching the tourists dodge the train.
View Quote
I'll be there today and tomorrow doing just that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top