Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2020 6:00:03 PM EDT
Currently living outside of Milwaukee, may have an opportunity to relocate to the La Crosse area.
I've only passed through a couple times but it looked like a nice place. Love the hills and trees.
Anything to know before making the move?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Holden rod and gun has a nice multi bay range and good USPSA matches
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Liberal college town. Traffic and roads suck. Probably not an issue for you being from Milwaukee. Get out of town a few miles and things are really nice.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a nice area. I wouldn't want to live in LaCrosse or Onalaska proper but that goes for any town. If working in LaCrosse it's really easy to commute from the surrounding rural area.

I'd rather live north of LaCrosse than south but that's just because it's the area I'm from and familiar with.

There's a 600 yard gun club on the south side that does NRA Highpower.  Holmen as mentioned is nice and does trap, USPSA,  steel challenge, 3 gun and maybe idpa.

It's been 15 years since I cared about nightlife but partying in LaCrosse was always fun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's been 15 years since I cared about nightlife but partying in LaCrosse was always fun.
View Quote
Until the smiley face killer gets ya.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always found it easy to avoid falling into the river when drunk by staying away from it
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm coming out for a visit this weekend, staying at the Stoney Creek Hotel.
Other than the view from Grandad's Bluff, any must-sees?
Any recommendations for "family friendly" dining?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Since that's right on the edge of town you might consider going to West Salem and eating at Big Boar BBQ, right on HWY 16.  If you like BBQ.  Otherwise about the same distance the other way just off 16 is a Famous Dave's.

All the way on the south side of town is the Hungry Peddler.  I will occasionally drive to LaCrosse for errands early in the morning solely to go get breakfast there it's so good.

Usually when I'm there and need to eat though I'm going through a drive through or just going to Texas Roadhouse so I don't have many great suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I live across the river on the Minnesota side near La Crescent. Fayzee's in downtown Lax and Maggie's in downtown Onalaska is were I go for breakfast.

Some that live in Onalaska, N. Lax, ect. but work in south side of Lax such as Gundersen Health will take  interstate 90 over to the MN side thru La Crescent and back to Lax to avoid traffic.

Downtown Lax is quite popular. Many shops, bars, and places to get a meal. River Side park has live music during the Summer months.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
@4weelin we should grab breakfast some time
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@4weelin we should grab breakfast some time
View Quote
That's a great idea.

Maybe I should shoot your Glock with SRO red dot to see if I need one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's a great idea.

Maybe I should shoot your Glock with SRO red dot to see if I need one.
View Quote
Heck yeah. Anytime.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#12]
How was your trip?

I stay at Stoney Creek every time I’m in the Lacrosse area.

If I would have caught this sooner I would have recommended looking into Stoddard or Bangor.

Have friends that live in Stoddard & I lived in Bangor for a little while.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#13]
The trip went well.
I was interviewing with a manufacturer in Onalaska. Great company, been in business since the 50s with no signs of stopping. When I got back to the hotel, my wife said I was unexpectedly happy (nobody likes interviewing). I said it was because all of the people I had met that day were so positive and happy, it must have been contagious. I'm hoping for an offer, then it'll just be a matter of negotiation.
The Stoney Creek Hotel was nice, if a bit dated. We stayed Thurs and Fri nights. Saturday morning they were filling up for a kids dance competition. We were glad to get out before it got started.
Tried to do a little sight seeing on Friday but with the snow showers, there was nothing to see. From the top of Grandad Bluff, everything was just white.
If everything goes well, we'll rent a house for the first year we're there, until we get a better handle on the area. Looking up toward Holmen or even Galesville, it'll be a matter of availability.
We didn't do anything interesting for food (Applebees, bleh) because we had our 4 month old with us and she's not much for dining out.
Thanks guys for the suggestions and maybe we'll soon be neighbors!
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Liberal college town. Traffic and roads suck. Probably not an issue for you being from Milwaukee. Get out of town a few miles and things are really nice.
View Quote
This. I live a Bit north of la crosse and love it here. Plus, close enough to go down town with family when they have fun events. Holmen rod and gun is a great range as well
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I live about 15 west of la crosse in Mn.  My wife works in lacrosse.  Lacrosse area is pretty good and lots to due.  Overall good people everywhere.  Lots of places to shoot. State land is everywhere for hunting and fishing on the Mississippi is great.  Consider living in La crescent it’s cheap and less taxes.

If you move welcome to the area!
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Holden Holmen rod and gun has a nice multi bay range and good USPSA matches
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Whelp, I'm headed to La Crosse (Onalaska specifically).
I start the week of the 24th and will be staying in a hotel during the week while I look for a rental house. Once we get a feel for the area, the plan is to buy something a little further out in the country.
We'll be glad to get away from Milwaukee. We're in the burbs 13 miles from downtown but I hate watching the news every morning to hear about another shooting, stabbing, or hit and run.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's a nice area. I wouldn't want to live in LaCrosse or Onalaska proper but that goes for any town. If working in LaCrosse it's really easy to commute from the surrounding rural area.

I'd rather live north of LaCrosse than south but that's just because it's the area I'm from and familiar with.

There's a 600 yard gun club on the south side that does NRA Highpower.  Holmen as mentioned is nice and does trap, USPSA,  steel challenge, 3 gun and maybe idpa.

View Quote
@kuraki

Where's the 600 yard gun club at?  Invite only kind of place?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@kuraki

Where's the 600 yard gun club at?  Invite only kind of place?
View Quote
I don't know a lot about it other than I did my MN CCW class there 10-12 years ago.

http://lacrosserifleclub.com
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't know a lot about it other than I did my MN CCW class there 10-12 years ago.

http://lacrosserifleclub.com
View Quote
Thanks, site says you have to have a club sponsor and they have a 3 year waiting list.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Congratulats!

As I said earlier check out Bangor area.

I really liked Bangor. Hop on the highway & you are minutes to Onalaska only at night it is quiet & peaceful.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Little late to the party. I'm sure you'll enjoy the area compared to the Milwaukee area. I live in the Sparta area, west of LaCrosse.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Moved to Holmen 10 days ago and am now required to work from home. It's quieter in the neighborhood than at the office.
Met the neighbors on both sides, which is strange in this day and age where everyone tends to mind their own business. My wife joined the local "Moms" group and some of the ladies there already knew about us beforehand. Definitely a different pace/way of life here!
Kind of surprised there isn't a Viet Namese restaurant in the area with the large Hmong population. There's a Thai place and a generic Chinese place (both are ok) but I was expecting a regular Pho spot.
Next will be finding a place to shoot but, for now, there's too much unpacking to be done to allow time for fun anyway.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Holmen Rod and Gun is likely your best option.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Moved to Holmen 10 days ago and am now required to work from home. It's quieter in the neighborhood than at the office.
Met the neighbors on both sides, which is strange in this day and age where everyone tends to mind their own business. My wife joined the local "Moms" group and some of the ladies there already knew about us beforehand. Definitely a different pace/way of life here!
Kind of surprised there isn't a Viet Namese restaurant in the area with the large Hmong population. There's a Thai place and a generic Chinese place (both are ok) but I was expecting a regular Pho spot.
Next will be finding a place to shoot but, for now, there's too much unpacking to be done to allow time for fun anyway.
View Quote
Welcome. I go to Holmen rod and gun. Love it there.

Edited: IM sent
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Welcome to the area. I'm about 25 miles SE of La Crosse, right in the middle of hippie central, but it's great here.

If you're looking for authentic Pho, look up Yang's Market. It's a hidden gem on the northside of La Crosse with some very good asian cuisine. The kitchen is in the back of the store and looks a little sketchy but it is amazing. I sneak up there for lunch about once a week.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Welcome to the new slower pace of life, OP.

You will come to love it if you don’t already.

Holmen is a nice area. It’s really grown up on 53 the last 20 yrs.

Did you find a place more in Holmen proper or out towards the highway where all the condos are?

Quoted:
Welcome to the area. I'm about 25 miles SE of La Crosse, right in the middle of hippie central, but it's great here.

If you're looking for authentic Pho, look up Yang's Market. It's a hidden gem on the northside of La Crosse with some very good asian cuisine. The kitchen is in the back of the store and looks a little sketchy but it is amazing. I sneak up there for lunch about once a week.
View Quote
Can verify.

Used to go there years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top