Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2021 12:42:11 PM EDT
Just had my dock redone and want to put one of these LED Underwater Dock Lights in green.

Who has one on their dock and what's your opinion/recommendation for one. Price range between 5 and 600

Saw this one

From what I can find I'd need a HID light because it's suppose to keep barnacles from growing on the light from heat output. Btw it'd be in saltwater
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you I'll check them out and give them a call also with questions.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you I'll check them out and give them a call also with questions.
View Quote

Share what you find out.  I'll be needing one in a few months too so having someone else doing my homework is awesome!
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Share what you find out.  I'll be needing one in a few months too so having someone else doing my homework is awesome!
View Quote

Are you on fresh or saltwater. Fresh water I think you have more options because you only have to deal with slim vs slim and barnacles in saltwater.

I'll post what I get. Right now looking at a HID light that is not enclosed for saltwater. They get hot enough underwater so as to burn off anything that tries to grow on the light.

Such as barnacles or algae. Plus they are brighter than LED. So you can use a smaller one. You must make sure it's at least a 175 watt bulb to be self cleaning. I'm going to go with a 250 watt green light in water and LED strip lighting under the railing for dock lights.

The reason I want light in the water is because if the light is below the water surface it will reflect on the water below the surface and fish cannot see you. If light is above the surface shining down into water. If your stand close enough to light source you are illuminated also and fish can see standing on the dock. I've had them scatter before when I got too close to the edge of dock.

That's what I experienced with my present dock light. My neighbor across the street has a light in the water and I can stand on his dock right at the edge and stare down at snook and other fish and they do not even know I'm there.

But he's not here right now, visiting family up North and I can't ask him questions. I do know though fish love that green colored light.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Are you on fresh or saltwater. Fresh water I think you have more options because you only have to deal with slim vs slim and barnacles in saltwater.

View Quote

We're on brackish.  More slime than barnacles for sure from what I've seen.  We're just building so I have a couple/few months to go.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We're on brackish.  More slime than barnacles for sure from what I've seen.  We're just building so I have a couple/few months to go.
View Quote

I am on brackish too and am keeping tabs on this post.  Lots of good info!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This place was a few blocks from one of my customers down in Port Charlotte. They've been in business for about 15 years.

https://www.underwaterfishlight.com/
View Quote

I have that one at my dock they generate heat and keep barnacles and algae from growing on the light. My neighbor had the led one and it got crapped up in a few months and didn't work.  I got the most powerful one they make I have tarpon and snook on it every night.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#8]
We have the above water dock LED's from this place.  They work great.  We have enough space to have two of them on our dock.

Lights

Not a great picture, but you get the idea.

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We have the above water dock LED's from this place.  They work great.  We have enough space to have two of them on our dock.

Lights

https://i.imgur.com/s4Uwy89.jpg

View Quote

Does that light attract bugs? Im in SW amongst the mangroves and get a ton of no see ums pretty much 9 months of the year the underwater light doesn't seem to draw in the bugs .
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Does that light attract bugs? Im in SW amongst the mangroves and get a ton of no see ums pretty much 9 months of the year the underwater light doesn't seem to draw in the bugs .
View Quote

We don't have a lot of bugs hovering around the lights at all.  We still get our share of no see ums, and typically avoid going outside around dusk at least in the summer time.  Last week the weather was awesome, and we would sit down there for several hours enjoying drinks with no bugs in site.  I am just south of St. Pete, with no mangroves around our dock.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We don't have a lot of bugs hovering around the lights at all.  We still get our share of no see ums, and typically avoid going outside around dusk at least in the summer time.  Last week the weather was awesome, and we would sit down there for several hours enjoying drinks with no bugs in site.  I am just south of St. Pete, with no mangroves around our dock.
View Quote

I hate no see ums I live among mangroves and at Sun up and sun down they eat alive.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:18:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lights

https://i.imgur.com/s4Uwy89.jpg

View Quote

Snooks
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I hate no see ums I live among mangroves and at Sun up and sun down they eat alive.
View Quote

I've been thinking about the DynaTrap.  Kind of a derail but still somewhat related...anyone use this and have feedback?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've been thinking about the DynaTrap.  Kind of a derail but still somewhat related...anyone use this and have feedback?
View Quote

I have one at my house in NJ and all I seem to catch are moths .
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeap.  They are tiny bastards, and they suck.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I ended up going with
This light
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I ended up going with
This light
View Quote

That is going to be awesome!  

I have saved a couple links for pillar lights in your threads and will probably go with that light once my dock thaws.  Damn I miss Florida!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I ended up going with
This light
View Quote

looks great.
In for fish pix!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That is going to be awesome!  

I have saved a couple links for pillar lights in your threads and will probably go with that light once my dock thaws.  Damn I miss Florida!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86052/050EC6A9-0DA3-47E6-A4D8-531271128BE9_jpe-1817326.JPG
View Quote

You might want to us a heat lamp
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You might want to us a heat lamp
View Quote

I prefer to use a moving truck, but my wife will be lost without me!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Got light installed today. Did not take long. That's about a 28 to 30 inch snook there are others that are hugh that keep running right at the edge of light. Getting my rod ready

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Well done.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Was up at 4am this morning. There was so many friggin fish I could not count them. I swear I saw the shadow of a shark a few times. There was 5 snook I could see outside the hoard of fish.

My neighbor/neighbors I bet will be getting one here shortly

The only thing I notice between a overhead light and underwater light. Is the underwater light shining back up at you when fishing. It kinda blinds you from being able to see anything else outside the lit area of that light.

You still need above water lights in order see where your casting from dock. Because if you look at that light or near it your night vision is shot. Trust me you can't help but look too. I cannot see the mangroves enough to judge my cast towards them now.

Fortunately I've got flood lights on my deck that's on my house that shines out over water plus I still have a above water dock light. Had it off last night. One thing the underwater light drew in way more fish than the above water light ever did.

The ultimate night fishing dock is in the works.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Got light installed today. Did not take long. That's about a 28 to 30 inch snook there are others that are hugh that keep running right at the edge of light. Getting my rod ready

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/94613/20210210_211046-1819598.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/94613/20210210_212407-1819604.jpg
View Quote

better get the fishing rod ready too!!!!

id like to retire somewhere down there (on teh water)
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#27]
OP did you have new seawall installed?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP did you have new seawall installed?
View Quote

No I just had a little fill added around that area. I'm going to just keep pouring sack Crete over area to firm up ground.

I do not have swift moving water here. Plus I checked into a seawall. They wanted 56k. That was several years back too. I'll be dead and gone or sold this house before it actually needs a seawall. I've lived here 25 years this year. Lost only a ft.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No I just had a little fill added around that area. I'm going to just keep pouring sack Crete over area to firm up ground.

I do not have swift moving water here. Plus I checked into a seawall. They wanted 56k. That was several years back too. I'll be dead and gone or sold this house before it actually needs a seawall. I've lived here 25 years this year. Lost only a ft.
View Quote

Thanks. We bought a place on a Freshwater canal that has a wooden seawall. It is in pretty good
shape but the dock needs to be replaced. I do not want to replace the dock in front of the current
seawall. I have been trying to get real world cost numbers for new seawall and it really needs a soil
drain system. It seems that it will probably cost close to 100k for new dock and sea wall.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks. We bought a place on a Freshwater canal that has a wooden seawall. It is in pretty good
shape but the dock needs to be replaced. I do not want to replace the dock in front of the current
seawall. I have been trying to get real world cost numbers for new seawall and it really needs a soil
drain system. It seems that it will probably cost close to 100k for new dock and sea wall.
View Quote

My neighbors have a wooden seawall on saltwater. I know it's at least 25 years old. If your wooden seawall is still in good shape go for it.

Drainage is not too hard to add or do. I'm guessing your getting standing water during heavy rains and it's taking a long time to percolate into the ground and it might stay soft even then.

Buy size drain box/boxes you want and what ever length of 4 or 6 in flex tubing you need. Install drain box below grade, trench to where you want water to go with slight drop toward direction you want water to flow. Install flex tubing to drain box and bury tubing. No more standing water and it drains. I've done this a few times at friends homes. Just keep trash off of drain box/boxes.

But yeah if your wooden seawall is good to go and especially it being freshwater. I'd build it. Saltwater is a PITA because you get these wood boring worms and barnacles. I've seen docks built in freshwater using 8x8 pt posts instead of piling that were years old.

I'm considering selling and moving to a spring fed lake. Mantience is so much easier than saltwater. Plus salt air trusts everything. Even stainless steel grills.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My neighbors have a wooden seawall on saltwater. I know it's at least 25 years old. If your wooden seawall is still in good shape go for it.

Drainage is not too hard to add or do. I'm guessing your getting standing water during heavy rains and it's taking a long time to percolate into the ground and it might stay soft even then.

Buy size drain box/boxes you want and what ever length of 4 or 6 in flex tubing you need. Install drain box below grade, trench to where you want water to go with slight drop toward direction you want water to flow. Install flex tubing to drain box and bury tubing. No more standing water and it drains. I've done this a few times at friends homes. Just keep trash off of drain box/boxes.

But yeah if your wooden seawall is good to go and especially it being freshwater. I'd build it. Saltwater is a PITA because you get these wood boring worms and barnacles. I've seen docks built in freshwater using 8x8 pt posts instead of piling that were years old.

I'm considering selling and moving to a spring fed lake. Mantience is so much easier than saltwater. Plus salt air trusts everything. Even stainless steel grills.
View Quote

Thanks. I was over there this morning and it looks like the slope of the yard from side to side is low
in the center and I think that will make it easier to remedy. Less digging. The water does not stand but
I can see it causing the seawall to bulge in that area and water is coming through the boards. I think
I have a plan that will work. I guess when We have the dock built We can build it a little off the sea wall
and leave room in case we need to replace the wall. Leave room for the crane arm to be able to slide in panels
between the dock and wall.

We got very lucky and got a place on the Kissimmee chain for a real good price. I look forward to retirement
when we can go on boat trips to the east and west coasts, Camping on the boat.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Your going to have a blast. Don't forget the RV lol. Mines in shop having some roof work done. It's a 2016. I'm having a slab poured and an awning put up to park it under. RV's are about like boats when it comes to putting money into them.

Love ft Desoto, Sebastian Inlet ect...I've drive my boat to ft Desoto before from my home. Takes about 30 to 40 mins depending on bay. Then park it right at RV sight. Most the times I carry the kayaks there.

You can barely see the skyway bridge ghosting in the background. My phone camera is horrible

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Your going to have a blast. Don't forget the RV lol. Mines in shop having some roof work done. It's a 2016. I'm having a slab poured and an awning put up to park it under. RV's are about like boats when it comes to putting money into them.

Love ft Desoto, Sebastian Inlet ect...I've drive my boat to ft Desoto before from my home. Takes about 30 to 40 mins depending on bay. Then park it right at RV sight. Most the times I carry the kayaks there.

You can barely see the skyway bridge ghosting in the background. My phone camera is horrible

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/94613/20200118_194503-1454514.jpg
View Quote

Thanks,

We are very fortunate to have the treasures we do in this Great State.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Pro tip. Extremely hard to catch the wily snook under lights or in the shadows, but all hell breaks loose the moment after the lights go out. That's the moment you want a bait hitting the surface.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Lol my neighbor told me that Sunday morning before daylight. He casted towards the snook. Had at least 10 plus swimming around light. It got the best of him.

But he said all they did was just look at bait, then lure ect...

I told him I have them trained to bite only my baits

But I will try that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I took this video years ago under my Bro in laws dock in the Cape

I did catch a snook after that. But was no monster.

Cape Coral dock light and fish.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Cool video thanks for sharing.  What's that they are hanging around with al the shells on it.

Oh btw any snook is better than no snook. They are a blast to catch. They taste good too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Cool video thanks for sharing.  What's that they are hanging around with al the shells on it.

Oh btw any snook is better than no snook. They are a blast to catch. They taste good too.
View Quote

Thanks

That is a dock piling with oysters attached. The mullet eat stuff off of the oysters and piling

Later on he put two lights on the bottom facing up in the center of the canal.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I bet with all that underwater lighting it awesome to see.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#41]
WOW what part of Florida are you in. That looks the little Manatee river here with all those snook.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#42]
This was over by Captiva on the west coast.
It was a fun night because all the fish were hungry.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bet!  Those things are stacked up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh yeah Captiva is awesome. You hit the tide just at the right time. Those things will just look at your baits. But when the tide starts running they wake up. Especially out going in my ASO.

We use to go and stay at Captive often. I miss going there. Like Boca Grande also alot. I live in Tampa Bay at the mouth of the little Manatee River. I've seen more snook than I could count around the lights here. The largest one I landed was 43 inches I've a picture some place. When I find it I'll post it.

YEARS ago before 9/11 we use to go to Port Manatee around the docks and to the water discharge at the teco power plant. There was hugh fish there.

Can't do it now because they closed those areas down after 9/11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top