Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2022 6:51:39 PM EDT
Planning a backpacking trip in California. Pretty sure sworn peace officers can possess or import "large capacity" magazines into the state. I've seen they can purchase and possess handguns. I would imagine federal Leosa allows concealed carry throughout. What about open carry? I wanted to utilize a chest holster. I can mount a badge or identification panel for my ID on it too. Any insight or info?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 1:31:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Not familiar with LEOSA provisions, including any for mag capacity..  My nephew would carry concealed when he visited. Maybe some Ca. LEOs will chime in.  Where would you be backpacking?  Location might make a difference how cranky either folks or local LEOs might be.   For the most part, I'd suggest taking advantage of the opportunity to carry concealed.  It likely reduces the potential for confusion.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 2:30:19 AM EDT
[#2]
There's state provisions that include a magazine exception for law enforcement that I found. The LEOSA is a federal provision granting law enforcement to conceal carry throughout the United States.

It's hard to conceal carry with a huge pack and the type of clothing I'll be wearing. However I agree that conceal may be the best way due to the issues presented.

The John Muir wilderness is one location and the most important location to do so. We have another hike in Lake Tahoe area as well.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 3:39:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's state provisions that include a magazine exception for law enforcement that I found. The LEOSA is a federal provision granting law enforcement to conceal carry throughout the United States.

It's hard to conceal carry with a huge pack and the type of clothing I'll be wearing. However I agree that conceal may be the best way due to the issues presented.

The John Muir wilderness is one location and the most important location to do so. We have another hike in Lake Tahoe area as well.
View Quote

Depending where you'll be at, exactly, there are public lands where county ordinances do not prohibit discharge, which would make open carry permissible without a permit even absent LEOSA.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 4:52:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Depending where you'll be at, exactly, there are public lands where county ordinances do not prohibit discharge, which would make open carry permissible without a permit even absent LEOSA.
View Quote

That's a good avenue to research. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of the land is BLM or USFS managed, although there are other lands where this can be true.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top