Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2021 2:13:48 PM EDT
I have been wanting to move to East TN for a few years now, but the timing has never worked out until now. For most of that time I was primarily considering the greater Knoxville area primarily because it’s larger and has (from what I can tell) more employment opportunities than the Tri Cities area. I do like the more mountainous vibe that JC+ seems to give off, and the area intrigues me in general.

I work in engineering and there’s a position open with Snap-On in Elizabethton that I think I would have a shot at, so I’m looking more at that area lately. I want to plop down on some acreage (10 acres?) and do some hobby farming on it. And shooting, if possible, of course

The main thing that concerns me about the Tri Cities area is employment and crime (I.e. methbillies). Not sure how that compares to the Knoxville region.

I’m just sick and tired of CA and almost everything about it (the sole exception being the outdoors around here). I want to be left alone and have fun with like-minded friends.

I know many of you are much like me, so if you were looking at choosing between the two areas, what would your thoughts be? Or is there a third option you would prefer?

I should mention that I visited Knoxville around late 2018 and quite liked it. I’m hoping to be out there again in a couple of months or so.

Thanks guys

Edit: My hobbies and interests really revolve around fast cars, big trucks, hiking/camping, hunting (from what limited experience I have had…don’t know too many people around here who hunt), critters/growing things/tractors, and things like that. Metalworking, fixing tools and machinery (engines, compressors, and things like that).  Also reading about and discussing American history and politics. Hopefully that helps give you an idea of what I like
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Both areas have crime I suppose, but I have never had any problems with that.  I was born and raised in Northeast Tennessee(Kingsport primarily).  I have spent a lot of time in Knoxville with friends there.  I like both areas, but I prefer the quieter life of the Tri-Cities.  You have no shortage of shooting ranges in either area.  There is great hiking and camping all over east Tennessee and Western North Carolina.  I would say that land and cost of living is slightly cheaper here.  

If you were to get the engineering position at Snap-on, I would be working directly with you.  I am one of the CNC programmers here in Elizabethton.  

There is a fair amount of competitive shooting in this area if you are so inclined.  I used to shoot Highpower in Oak Ridge just outside of Knoxville.  I almost moved there at one point to be a little closer to the range, but going back to school while working full time forced to stop competing for a few years.  I prefer IDPA and that type of shooting, but Snap-on has been busy the last few years.  I have worked a bunch of Saturdays, but our engineers generally do not.

R. Jason Scott
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
That’s definitely good to know about the abundance of shooting opportunities

That’s too funny that you happened across my thread, being that you already work at Snap-On. Would you mind if I PM you with a couple of questions about working there? Totally cool if you’d rather not, I understand
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure, buddy.  I would be happy to tell you what I can.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like I will be working with you possibly if you do Snap-on, we do proto type work and general machining for Snap-on

Also check out Borla
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Heavy traffic in this area is 3 light cycles.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget traffic circles ?? they should've waited another generation or two
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like I will be working with you possibly if you do Snap-on, we do proto type work and general machining for Snap-on

Also check out Borla
View Quote

Small world or small town? Haha, that would be cool!

Quoted:
Heavy traffic in this area is 3 light cycles.
View Quote

That's a good thing!  We don't have too much traffic around here, but all the big cities in CA just drive me insane with the traffic.

Quoted:
Don't forget traffic circles ?? they should've waited another generation or two
View Quote

There's a nice small lake town up the way about an hour from me where the county board decided to appropriate some funds to put in a traffic circle right smack in the middle of the main road.  The locals just about all had an aneurism.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want 10 acres, Elizabethton is your best option.  We live in Bristol, and I really like JC.   Yes, there is more to do and more shopping options in Knoxville, but it only an hour and 15 minutes away.  If you've lived in the city, it can take that long to go 10 miles.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#9]
For us we have to decide which state sells what on what day of the week and time...beer and wine examples

1 way trips below

Bristol 1 hr
Abingdon 1 hr
Jc 1-1/4 hr
Etown 1 hr
Boone 1 hr
Asheville 1-1/2 hr

We have been Amazon prime for over 15 years...

Love living in BFE

Wanting land, Carter,  Unicoi or Johnson counties. ...

Unless you're GD rich then Washington or Sullivan
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Another guy who worked at Snap-On here.  I was a die shop machinist before I finished my Bachelors and got into engineering.  Unless a lot has changed, I wouldn't go back, especially as a process/manufacturing engineer. But that's just me. I'd be happy to answer questions via PM if you want.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#11]
A lot of good advice already In this post. Bansil  nailed it as far as land goes. Wash and Sullivan are bat chit crazy priced. Greene county is also cheaper.

I will say this. If you have any kind of medical issues, look at Knoxville. Healthcare in the tri cities is not good.

Job options will be less in this area but it is what it is. As far as traffic and crime; this area has a lot less than Knoxville.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of good advice already In this post. Bansil  nailed it as far as land goes. Wash and Sullivan are bat chit crazy priced. Greene county is also cheaper.

I will say this. If you have any kind of medical issues, look at Knoxville. Healthcare in the tri cities is not good.

Job options will be less in this area but it is what it is. As far as traffic and crime; this area has a lot less than Knoxville.
View Quote

Well shit, the 2.2 unimproved lot next to us sold, they closed last weekend....Looked it up on TNProperty data

TN property data

lots of good info there...   2.2 acres, unimproved lot, 2/3 hay field other 1/3 uphill $30,000

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top