Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2022 3:22:32 PM EDT
I've "heard" that KTP offers unusually high numbers on firearms trades.

I was curious if anyone had any first-hand experience and specific examples.

There's nothing specific I'm looking to get rid of. But I've heard this stated a few times, so I was wondering if there was something to it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Better than my local gun shop but not sure I'd say unusually high. In 2019 KTP gave me $315 trade in for an unfired but turned Vaquero in .45 Colt that had cost me $515 in 2008 from the local gun shop. In 2008 KTP gave me $340 for a Remington 1100 Magnum, $50 for another 1100 barrel, and $180 for a T/C Renegade. Those were trade in / store credit prices. If you just want to sell the gun for cash then the price is lower.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Better than my local gun shop but not sure I'd say unusually high. In 2019 KTP gave me $315 trade in for an unfired but turned Vaquero in .45 Colt that had cost me $515 in 2008 from the local gun shop. In 2008 KTP gave me $340 for a Remington 1100 Magnum, $50 for another 1100 barrel, and $180 for a T/C Renegade. Those were trade in / store credit prices. If you just want to sell the gun for cash then the price is lower.
View Quote

Thanks for those datapoints. "Not great. Not terrible." basically.

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Haven't bought a gun there in over 2 decades but back then they used to be 50% of book value if you were outright selling and 60 or 65% if you were trading in for store credit if memory serves correctly, which my numbers may be off. It was much more advantageous to sell private sale.  

My brother got an excellent rifle there a long time ago when the sales guy gave a guy a quote to buy a rifle (high end Sig bolt action) and my brother heard the offer and offered him $100 more cash private sale, which was still much less than what it was worth. The guy took my brothers offer and the sales guy was absolutely furious and told them to both get out of the store.

They usually have a good selection and sometimes you can find a decent deal but their prices in general are towards the high end and then you have to pay Maine sales tax on top of it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Haven't bought a gun there in over 2 decades but back then they used to be 50% of book value if you were outright selling and 60 or 65% if you were trading in for store credit if memory serves correctly, which my numbers may be off. It was much more advantageous to sell private sale.  

My brother got an excellent rifle there a long time ago when the sales guy gave a guy a quote to buy a rifle (high end Sig bolt action) and my brother heard the offer and offered him $100 more cash private sale, which was still much less than what it was worth. The guy took my brothers offer and the sales guy was absolutely furious and told them to both get out of the store.

They usually have a good selection and sometimes you can find a decent deal but their prices in general are towards the high end and then you have to pay Maine sales tax on top of it.
View Quote

You're paying for the convenience of not having to deal with the hassle of selling it yourself. Just like trading in a car.

I got a good deal on a new Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .357/9mm. Saw it on their website and rode up to get it. It was tagged as only being in 9mm in the display case. The sales guy was surprised to find out it came with 2 cylinders. They had a used one just like it for about $75 more at the same time. I'm guessing it sat there for such a long time that they dropped the price to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Years ago I got a Delton 20" A4 style AR for like $450 at KTP. After 3 months and a trip back to Delton it still wasn't working right. So I took that, and a 12ga I bought at Riley's for like 65 bucks and went to KTP. They gave me $500 for the pair lol.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Been going to KTP for years.  They look up all their recent sales of that model and determine what they’ll sell yours for.   Their trade offer is 80% of that value in store credit or 66% of that value if you want cash.  

Now having said that, I’ve seen your for sale ads for years OP and you have VERY nice taste.   What I wrote above pertains to regular less expensive stuff that I play with.   The higher end toys you enjoy may use a different pricing matrix at KTP.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Been going to KTP for years.  They look up all their recent sales of that model and determine what they’ll sell yours for.   Their trade offer is 80% of that value in store credit or 66% of that value if you want cash.  

Now having said that, I’ve seen your for sale ads for years OP and you have VERY nice taste.   What I wrote above pertains to regular less expensive stuff that I play with.   The higher end toys you enjoy may use a different pricing matrix at KTP.
View Quote

@Ian02 Long time no see. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Are those number up from what they used to be? I recall them being lower than that but I haven't done a trade there in decades.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@Ian02 Long time no see. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Are those number up from what they used to be? I recall them being lower than that but I haven't done a trade there in decades.
View Quote

Hey what’s up man?  I’m good, hope all is well with you as well!

Don’t know if they’ve changed over time but that’s pretty much the formula going back as far as I can remember.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don’t know if they’ve changed over time but that’s pretty much the formula going back as far as I can remember.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi guys!  This has been my experience there as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for that data, Ian. Like I said in the OP, I had heard things over the years from a few sources and it was more curiosity than anything else.

Believe it or not, I've never traded in a firearm in my life. But the convenience factor can't be denied. Especially in these times where shipping firearms are more of a hassle than ever before.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I am just here because all the OGs are popping up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My memory is off then. Getting older sucks.....

Glad to hear all is well
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Another blast from the past.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, it’s been a looong time!
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ve found KTP to be very hit or miss with trade ins. That being said, sometimes it’s just easier than the EE and answering seemingly silly questions and low ball offers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Man look at all these guys.  Who would have thought KTP would bring everyone out of the wood work.  

So anyone have a lot of land so we can run a hometown shoot again?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Just checking the hometown forum and saw this thread. Would love for another hometown shoot and bbq sometime, the Dillon 550B has been too quiet lately and my submachineguns are very hungry.

As for KTP, back in 2012 timeframe they gave me the best price of anyone on a used Beretta 96FS that I was trading in towards a new 92FS. I want to say that gave me just a bit under $400, maybe $390 or thereabouts, which was $75-100 more than anyone else. Since then I’ve bought a few guns from them given they have a huge selection and get interesting stuff in from time to time, and their database is easily searchable and they’ll get photos over to you pretty quickly if you call. But I would agree their prices are always on the high end and they almost never seem to budge unless the gun has been in inventory for months (6 months?).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top