Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2023 9:09:05 AM EDT
Going to a prom thingy in Ohio and trying to read up on your gun laws, I know things have been changing. Legal to keep your pistol in your console parked in high school parking lot?
I do keep my ky ccl if that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Not allowed. You may only drive to the school to pick up child but not enter.

4.  Handgun Exceptions to Illegal Conveyance or Possession of Deadly Weapon in a School Safety Zone There are two limited statutory exceptions to illegal conveyance or possession of a handgun on school grounds. First, the statute does not apply to lawfully owned handguns if all of the following are true:

The possessor has a valid CHL or qualifies for the military exception
The possessor does not enter a school building, is not at a school activity, and does not enter onto school premises with the handgun
The handgun is unloaded and in a locked container or otherwise properly stored, is being used in a school-approved program, or is otherwise proper under federal law
The school zone is not an otherwise unlawful place to carry a handgun, such as a church, police station, or courthouse, and, if so, the possessor has no knowledge of the zone's dual nature
This exception is limited, but a qualified Ohio firearms defense attorney will analyze the facts of each case to determine whether the handgun exception applies. Second, the statute does not apply to handguns if all of the following are true:

**Shit, I don't know... maybe this says it is ok?
The person has a valid CHL or qualifies for the military exception
The handgun is left in a motor vehicle (in accordance with the Ohio firearms transportation statute)
The handgun never leaves the motor vehicle, and
The motor vehicle is locked if the possessor leaves the vehicle

This exception may prevent parents from facing prosecution when picking up or dropping off their children and/or allow teachers to keep lawful handguns in their vehicles. These exceptions do not apply to other types of weapons and do not protect those without a valid CHL
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Odds are, you would certainly get away with it. However, if you get caught, the penalty will very likely be far too stiff. I wouldn't risk it. Figure out an alternative.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#3]
IF you have a CHL you may leave it secured in your vehicle on school grounds.

Permit-less Carry doesn't allow for this stipulation.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I’m confused.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#5]
@boolzi

I have so many questions.  Mainly what/why would you be driving up here for prom.

Either way its a pretty big risk to take.  If you're just doing pics you could probably dress around it (aiwb with a tucked in shirt over it) and cover it, but school grounds are a roll of the dice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
No, I’m not planning on carrying on school grounds, just leaving in my truck that will be parked on school ground.

As to why, my wife’s best friends kid is doing the prom walk. We live about 45 minutes from Portsmouth.

Again I won’t be carrying on my person.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Threads like this remind me just how draconian and illogical the prohibition on school carry is.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea. Guns being one of the biggest, but it’s hard to keep up with all the massive legislation that constantly blankets us.

Tiring.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is correct, and OK.
View Quote

Yes. And if you read the law it’s seems to lead to that, but, I can’t read it with confidence the way it’s written in over the top legal language.

So I called sciota county sheriff. With no ccw lic, it can be in a locked vehicle the traditional way of disassembling it and.. well you know.

If you have a ccw license then locked in your vehicle in the console on school property is legal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#11]
OK on a 2nd question if one walks his dog while armed, and goes through a school zone while walking say on the sidewalk in front of the school, is that allowed? Or should I walk on the opposite side of the street to the school.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top