Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2021 11:33:15 AM EDT
Sunday August 1st at Bone Creek Gun Club north of Pittsburg, KS (1 1/2 hours south of KC).
Address: 710 E. 700th Ave, Arcadia, KS 66711

The next KS APC event is a full day of shooting at the Bone Creek Gun Club near Pittsburg, KS.   We'll start off with a USPSA pistol match with 6 stages then run through the APC handgun and rifle qualifications with a little training for the quals.  USPSA entry fee is $15 per shooter.  The APC quals are free.

APC participant Lomshek is a 10 year USPSA match director, RO & instructor and will guide you through the USPSA match and qualifications if you're new to it.  This is a chance to get some great practice and run scenarios you could never set up on your own.

Here's the minimum round count...
USPSA - 150 rounds
Pistol qual - 40 rounds (per attempt)
Rifle qual - 60 rounds (per attempt)

I'd recommend bringing at least 300 rounds of handgun ammo and 200 of rifle if you have it.  That gives enough for a couple qual attempts and some practice.  Why would you waste that much ammo in times like these?  Because without some skill earned by practice another row of ammo cans in your ammo fort is just more weight to collapse your floor.

Equipment needed: Centerfire handgun in the caliber of your choice, belt mounted vertical draw holster, 2 - 4 handgun mag pouches, 3-5 pistol magazines, centerfire rifle, 3-6 rifle mags (partially loaded).  You're welcome to run a PC or chest rig during the APC quals if you want.

Here's the schedule...

9 AM - Check in

10 AM - USPSA match begins

1-2 PM - USPSA match ends

After USPSA match - APC pistol and rifle qualification

5 PM - Tear down

Pack a lunch and bring plenty to drink.  Once we start we're not leaving the range.  There are porta potties at the range but no running water or electricity.

Here's the USPSA match registration link.  If you're not sure what division to sign up for or have other questions just PM Lomshek.
https://practiscore.com/2021-08-bone-creek-uspsa/register

Here's the APC firearm's qualification standards.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/APC-Firearms-Qualifications-Basic/69-647751/?

USPSA membership is not required to shoot the match.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll be there for sure!

For anyone who's new to USPSA shooting I'll be happy to guide you through the competition.  These are great ways to test yourself and your gear with a little bit of controlled stress!

Here's a video of me shooting a USPSA match at this same range a few years ago with my M&P Shield carry gun to give you an idea of what the stages can be like.  Some are wide open with some running and some are "stand & deliver".

I've been teaching people how to do this since about '07.  Don't let being new to competition or worried about being embarrassed stop you.  This is the best way short of spending hundreds of dollars or getting in gun fights all the time to improve your skills.

Link Posted: 7/25/2021 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
A slight update about online registration.

Here's the USPSA match registration link.  If you're not sure what division to sign up for or have other questions just PM Lomshek.
https://practiscore.com/2021-08-bone-creek-uspsa/register
After you register scroll down to the bottom of the confirmation page and select Squad 2.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Camping info!

Option 1 - Camp at range
Camping or parking a camper is allowed at the range.  If you want to camp there PM me and I'll give you all the details.  The range is a gated facility.
Camping at the range is very primitive.  You can set up on the gravel parking area which is fairly level.  There is no running water or any other utilities and just a porta pottie.  If you need it to survive the night bring it.
The down side to camping at the range is that a small creek runs through the property and we've had a fairly wet summer so the range doubles as a mosquito habitat and farm and we have a bumper crop this year!  You'll want to bring lots of bug repellant.
If that doesn't scare you away message me and I'll get you set up.

Option 2 - Camp at state park
Crawford State Park features six campgrounds, each with multiple sites. There are 28 primitive sites, 38 electric only sites, 25 50amp/water sites, and 20 30amp/ water sites. The State Park has a nice shower house next to the beach.

Lakeview Group Use area has 10 electric sites and is located at the south end of the lake. It is ideal for family reunions, club campouts, and other group activities.

Crawford State Park offers five lakefront rental cabins with all the comforts of home in a beautiful lake setting. The cabins are by available by reservation and are open year round.

The good news is the state park is only 5 miles from the range if you own a helicopter.  The bad news is it's a 23 mile drive if you want to stay on pavement and a 14 mile drive if you like driving on gravel roads.

Here's a map so you can see the location of the range and state park.
Attachment Attached File

Option #3 - Camp at the City of Pittsburg RV park
Located about 15 miles south of the range off of Hwy 69 the city of Pittsburg, KS runs a small RV park with room for a few tents, a shower house and bathrooms.
Four Oaks RV Park is on the edge of the city's golf course.  Pittsburg has lots of restaurants for any taste.

Option #4 - Get a hotel!
Pittsburg has a bunch of hotels ranging from the clean but low priced & locally owned Holiday Lodge to chains like Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn & Suites, Super 8 & many more.  You can find them all at our Convention & Visitor's Bureau website.

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#4]
The forecast right now looks like some rain Saturday night & early Sunday morning.

If the rain is so hard that scoring is impossible we'll institute a rain delay then re-start when it tapers off.  

We have covered firing lines on three of the bays plus a pavilion to take shelter from the rain if needed.

Bring waterproof boots and/or pants & jacket!

It looks like a decent chance the rain will be gone before the match starts and there will be a decent wind to hopefully keep it from being too miserable.  The usual weather pattern for that area is just that.  Early AM rain that dwindles down by 9 or 10 AM.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're coming please sign up in advance on PractiScore and select squad 2.

To create an account scroll down past the social media log in options and create a good old fashioned account.
Attachment Attached File

If you're paranoid use a fake name.

Gun divisions
Open - Optic with compensator
Carry optics - Optic but no compensator
Limited - More or less normal gun with full magazine
Production - More or less normal gun but limited to 10 rounds in each mag

Power factor
Major - 45 & 40
Minor - 9
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Weather update!

Looks like a high of 84 with partly cloudy skies and a 6-7 mph wind out of the NE after a tiny bit of rain overnight.  In other words a beautiful day on the range!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
AAR:

Everyone who showed up is able to SHOOT!!

Each individual who made qualified on both Rifle and Pistol.

Rifle Targets:

Some underfed motherfucker

Rifle Qual

Pistol Qual

More Pistol Qual

Beyond that many of us had our first competitive shoot with 6 stages.

Many lessons were had.

The first and foremost being Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

Felt great after the first 3 stages and decided to add speed and my score PLUMMETED, still as O_P says, its fun to shoot things and overall everyone had a great time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top