Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2018 3:39:20 PM EDT
Might be visiting Kalispell the first week of October. Would like to visit GNP and going to the sun road. What's the likely hood of snow in October?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Might be visiting Kalispell the first week of October. Would like to visit GNP and going to the sun road. What's the likely hood of snow in October?
View Quote
We get snow, I have had it as early as mid September before, it will be likely that they will have snow in the park at the higher elevations and is always a possibility GTTS will be closed, depending on how our fall shapes up, the last time I did GTTS in October, I was in a foot of snow at Logan Pass and they closed the road behind me, that was on October 12th.

Several years ago, I was in the back country camping and we ended up with a foot of snow on August 21st, so you just never know.

All that said, Glacier and surrounding area is worth visiting in the fall, it is always beautiful and colorful.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Likelihood of snow was covered above; I'll just second that it's an awesome time of year to visit the Flathead; the weather is usually pleasant, the bugs are usually done, and the tourists have thinned out significantly.  If it does snow, it generally isn't sticking around very long at that point, at least not in the valley.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both! We are very excited to be making the trip, got some great airfare. We have been wanting to get up there forever, but when driving, yellowstone was as far as we got! Besides the park are there any other must dos while there? We are very much into hiking and seeing the sights.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
there is a lot of good hiking in the area; Glacier has a lot of hiking, but there is a lot outside the park as well.  Jewel Basin is pretty cool; in the mountains just NE of Bigfork - not a road you want to try if it's snowing, but usually doable around that time - lots of trails and some excellent views.

How long are you going to be in the area?  Staying in the Flathead proper?
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Watch out for griz.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Watch out for griz.
View Quote
Yup.
When those UM fans been drinkin', They dangerous!

The ol' Crew Chief (Go Bobcats)
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
there is a lot of good hiking in the area; Glacier has a lot of hiking, but there is a lot outside the park as well.  Jewel Basin is pretty cool; in the mountains just NE of Bigfork - not a road you want to try if it's snowing, but usually doable around that time - lots of trails and some excellent views.

How long are you going to be in the area?  Staying in the Flathead proper?
View Quote
@KnightSchneider

We will have four full days. Staying in Kalispell. Any unique places to eat around the area? Also thinking of driving up to Canada since we will be so close.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Ost. Gonna be in Kali 1-8sep
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#9]
If you like pizza, or beer and peanuts, I would hit up Moose's Saloon in Kalispell.  Pho Ly is a good pho restaurant in Evergreen (unincorporated eastern end of Kalispell).  Tien's Place in Columbia Falls is good Asian food.  Whitefish is lousy with restaurants...

There are a lot of good restaurants in all the towns in the valley...it just depends on what you like.  I recommend Moose's pretty strongly - it's kind of a local landmark, and a cool place inside.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think we have your answer.  Pretty common in Sept and in Oct.

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/snow-temporarily-closes-logan-pass-area
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#11]
The Sun Road will be officially to be closed in mid-Oct.

Might be it for the year until then unless we get a warm spell but the weeks weather forecast doesn't seem to be going that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top