Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2023 6:24:58 PM EDT
KALISPELL, Mont.   The Kalispell City Council signed off an ordinance this week that bans panhandling.

The measure's language prohibits a pedestrian from taking money from another person in a motor vehicle that isn't legally parked.

It applies to all paved public right of ways in Kalispell city limits, excluding sidewalks and medians.

Two council members voted against the measure on Monday, saying an ordinance already exists for intersections, and this one will fine people for doing a good deed.

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/kalispell-city-council-approves-ban-on-panhandling#
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish Missoula would do this.  Vermin on every street corner out on Reserve/Mullan area.  Only "off limits" area is next to the banks.  They will bounce them if they are in the downtown area, however, they don't arrest them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m glad

Making adult decisions about what city you want to live and raise your kids in.

What a concept.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:06:31 AM EDT
[#4]
A homeless camp formed early this winter under the gazebo at Depot Park in Kalispell. It took a couple months before the police cleared them out and fenced it off. I haven't seen any panhandling or camping downtown lately.

The homeless shelter sent a bunch packing a month or so back for not playing by the rules. There are maybe 4 people left. It was getting bad.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A homeless camp formed early this winter under the gazebo at Depot Park in Kalispell. It took a couple months before the police cleared them out and fenced it off. I haven't seen any panhandling or camping downtown lately.

The homeless shelter sent a bunch packing a month or so back for not playing by the rules. There are maybe 4 people left. It was getting bad.
View Quote

I wonder if they all went to Bozeman? It's quickly become worse there. Bad enough you can't ignore it even just passing through.

I already try to avoid Bozeman but sometimes works means I have to stop there or at least be in the area for a bit. There's a hell of a shantytown near WinCo and you can't hardly find a busy intersection in the whole city without at least a couple of beggars.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I wonder if they all went to Bozeman? It's quickly become worse there. Bad enough you can't ignore it even just passing through.
I already try to avoid Bozeman but sometimes works means I have to stop there or at least be in the area for a bit. There's a hell of a shantytown near WinCo and you can't hardly find a busy intersection in the whole city without at least a couple of beggars.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Warming Center in Kalispell still has a long line every time I drive by it in the evening. There were definitely cops there regularly in the last couple months though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Warming Center in Kalispell still has a long line every time I drive by it in the evening. There were definitely cops there regularly in the last couple months though.
View Quote

Are you suggesting the homeless population have a disproportionate draw on public resources, especially policing?

Blasphemy…and possibly racism

Lol
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Are you suggesting the homeless population have a disproportionate draw on public resources, especially policing?

Blasphemy…and possibly racism

Lol
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PD and EMS have been regular visitors to the shelter, and the immediate 'hood. Things do get interesting.

ETA I want to know where vagrants have been hanging out during the day.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

PD and EMS have been regular visitors to the shelter, and the immediate 'hood. Things do get interesting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you checked street corners? They're usually behind cardboard signs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't noticed any lately, at least along the places I drive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top