Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2022 3:03:10 PM EDT
My 16 year old has had his Kansas instruction permit license for 1 year tomorrow and is going in to try and get his restricted license which will allow him to drive to and from school.

He took a written test to get the instruction permit a year ago. I tried to get him in last Monday but they said he had to hold the instruction permit for 1 year to the date.

My question is does he have to take another written test and driving test to get the restricted license? If I read the paper manual that they gave us, it basically says I have to sign an affidavit affirming he has driven X amount of hours which he has but nothing else.

He cannot get the unrestricted because he is not 17 for another year. The manual states he has to take a vision, written and driving to acquire the unrestricted license.

I would call the dmv but they never pick up their phone every time I called later last week. Plus he is going tomorrow morning so getting an answer from them over the phone is slim to none.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#1]
From their website, only the first instruction permit and the unrestricted license talk about a written test and driving test. If I read this right, I only have to sign an affidavit?

RESTRICTED DRIVER’S LICENSE - AGE 15

Present acceptable proof of identity
Testing required: Vision
Parental approval required: Yes
Driver education required: Yes
Instruction permit required: Yes - must have held a state issued permit at least 1 year. This does not include driver's education permit slip time held. Please visit Kansas Department of Revenue - Reopening to schedule an appointment with the driver's license office to obtain the state issued permit.
50 hour affidavit required: No - at 15 must have at least 25 hours; must provide 50 prior to 16 to move to lesser restrictions
Driving restrictions: To or from work; To or from school on days when school is in session, over the most direct and accessible route between the licensee's residence and school of enrollment for the purposes of school attendance; Anytime/anywhere with licensed adult - minimum age 21
Wireless restriction: No use of wireless communication devices except to report illegal activity or to summons medical or emergency help
Passenger restriction: May not transport any non-sibling minor passengers
Time required to be held: At 16 will move to less restricted privileges if 50 hour affidavit has been turned in, and maintains a satisfactory driving record
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top