Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2023 8:01:20 AM EDT
Hello everyone!   So my wife and I moved up here in January, and so far have been enjoying it quite a bit, but I need some help finding some stores, and some ranges...

Right now we've been shooting a bunch of clays at Waunakee Gun Club, and my wife's in the market for a shotgun that fits her better... (Shes eyeing a Beretta 686 Vittoria)  I pop on the ol google and try to look up pro shops or something in the area and all I get is Dicks sporting goods and some gunsmithing place that does pistols.   Please tell me that's not all we're working with?

Maybe we're just spoiled having access to Briley, American Shooting Centers, and Gordy & Sons in Houston but I really hope thats not the case.

Other question, in the central part of the state, are there any other recommended places to shoot?  Primarily looking for Sporting Clays and PRS type stuff at the moment but I'll take suggestions for anything.

Many thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Fleet Farm and Cabelas are near you . Theres more places outside of the madison area. I'll get some up when I get home from work. How far will you drive?
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fleet Farm and Cabelas are near you . Theres more places outside of the madison area. I'll get some up when I get home from work. How far will you drive?
View Quote
We're good for an hours drive I suppose if it means they have what we're trying to find and for a decent price.

Would a fleet farm have Beretta O/U's?
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hello everyone!   So my wife and I moved up here in January, and so far have been enjoying it quite a bit, but I need some help finding some stores, and some ranges...

Right now we've been shooting a bunch of clays at Waunakee Gun Club, and my wife's in the market for a shotgun that fits her better... (Shes eyeing a Beretta 686 Vittoria)  I pop on the ol google and try to look up pro shops or something in the area and all I get is Dicks sporting goods and some gunsmithing place that does pistols.   Please tell me that's not all we're working with?

Maybe we're just spoiled having access to Briley, American Shooting Centers, and Gordy & Sons in Houston but I really hope thats not the case.  

Other question, in the central part of the state, are there any other recommended places to shoot?  Primarily looking for Sporting Clays and PRS type stuff at the moment but I'll take suggestions for anything.

Many thanks!
View Quote

Where is "here"? Without knowing your location, it's hard to recommend someplace within an hour's drive of "here".

Anyway, this place in Minocqua seems to be just what you're looking for. It may be too far, but OTOH, it also may be worth the trip... and you get to visit "God's Country" up north as a bonus. There's a decent trap & skeet range too at the Minocqua Gun Club.

https://badoscarshootingsports.com/
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Without knowing where you are. I highly recommend Woods & Meadows near warrens for sporting clays and 5 stand Scott is a great guy. Moe's hardware in black river falls usually has tons of inventory or Midwest shooters supply in Lomira.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Where is "here"? Without knowing your location, it's hard to recommend someplace within an hour's drive of "here".

Anyway, this place in Minocqua seems to be just what you're looking for. It may be too far, but OTOH, it also may be worth the trip... and you get to visit "God's Country" up north as a bonus. There's a decent trap & skeet range too at the Minocqua Gun Club.

https://badoscarshootingsports.com/
View Quote
 Sorry lol,
I figured saying we've been shooting in Waunakee that would nail down the location, but yes, we're near Waunakee.

Edit:  They look perfect (except they dont carry Beretta from what I can tell)  May still warrant a drive out that way though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Lodi is probably your best bet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lodi is probably your best bet.
View Quote
Looks like they have the long range / PRS stuff covered, but not seeing anything for Shotgun or even a store on their website.

Do they have a shop that carries Over/Unders?   Still on the hunt to find my wife a place where she can shoulder the Beretta 686 Vittoria
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#8]
There's a place called Max Creek Outdoors in Oregon that used to have a wide selection. Otherwise Cabelas in Sun Prairie.

I left Madison to move north in 2016, so I don't have any great current info.

Or plan a day to hit up a Scheels - Appleton or Eau Claire.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There's a place called Max Creek Outdoors in Oregon that used to have a wide selection. Otherwise Cabelas in Sun Prairie.

I left Madison to move north in 2016, so I don't have any great current info.

Or plan a day to hit up a Scheels - Appleton or Eau Claire.
View Quote
Perfect!   Appleton isn't too far away.  I'll check it out and give the Max Creek place a look.
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We're good for an hours drive I suppose if it means they have what we're trying to find and for a decent price.

Would a fleet farm have Beretta O/U's?
View Quote
Fleet Farm (DeForest) is maybe a 15 min drive from Waunakee on HWY 19 east. Cabelas (Sun Prairie) another 15 min from Fleet Farm. Dunno if Fleet Farm has Beretta O/U. Not everything they sell is on their website so I'd call 1st.

Wilderness Fish and Game in Sauk City is a nice little shop.

Max Creek as other said (has an indoor range).

Mountain Mans Guns outside of Cambridge.

Deerfield Pistol in Deerfield (has an indoor range).

Top Pack Defense in Sun Prairie.

PT Firearms in Cross Plains.

DEZ Tactical in Baraboo (has an indoor range also).

Guns stores in Madison are pretty much non existant due to some old illegal laws they had that the state didnt bitchslap them for and all left.

Oh BTW we have Fleet Farm AND Farm and Fleet stores here. Farm and fleet doesnt sell guns, but has ammo and hunting stuff (small selection), but has more actual home hardware stuff than Fleet Farm.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll second this:

Wilderness Fish and Game in Sauk City is a nice little shop.

Might be the only place I can think of that would carry nice O/Us consistently.

Then you can get some Culver's in the hometown of Culver's, if you like it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Heres a link for a website that has a map locaing all clay shooting places.

https://www.claytargetsonline.com/wisconsin/

Hour south of Waunakee myself.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#13]
If you’ve never been to a Scheels you should make a day trip of it.. sorry for your wallet in advance. Welcome to WI, enjoy our four seasons and don’t go inside the Kwik Trip when you buy gas, they’ll make you fat
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#14]
RE: Scheels.

If you happen to be a military veteran they'll give you 5% off - basically eats most of the sales tax in WI. I don't know if that applies to police, fire, EMS, but it may.

Good luck with the shotgun, the more I think about where Ive seen nice O/Us, it's really just been Scheels since Gander Mountain went out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#15]
If you like clays, check out Milford hills. It’s not that far of a drive.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I've won 2 firearms in Ducks Unlimited calendar raffles in recent years, and both came from a big Minnesota gun retailer/wholesaler. So I'm on their e-mail list, and I got one yesterday. This will be a bit of a drive for you, but the good news is they have the gun you seek "in stock" (as of today). They are also having their annual "try before you buy" event at the end of April, where you get to shoot guns before buying one. So if you haven't had any luck by then, and feel like taking a weekend trip, here's an option for you.

https://www.reedsgunsandammo.com/rice-creek-gun-fair?utm_campaign=917245_Gun%20Fair%20-%20Mailer%20Overview&utm_medium=email&utm_source=REEDS%20FAMILY%20OUTDOOR%20OUTFITTERS&dm_i=4WGP,JNR1,6VZ31C,26PR5,1

https://www.reedsgunsandammo.com/firearms/beretta-686-silver-pigeon-i-vittoria-12ga-28in-j686fj8v-082442915067

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#17]
You could try https://www.reedsburgtruevaluehardwarestore.com/sporting-goods  in Reedsburg.  They always had a pretty decent selection.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I have shot quite a few years ago down at Argyle Rod and Gun club. www.argylegunclub.com, They have sporting clays, Trap and Skeet fields. Not quite sure on their current schedule. One of the members has a small shop near Monroe. He usually has some good quality o/u. His shop is Larry's guns just a bit south of Monroe.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Not sure how far it is, but Midwestshooters supply in Lomira is a beretta dealer. I haven’t looked at o/u ‘s in years but I know there is a good amount on their racks I’ve seen as I walk  past.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Perfect!   Appleton isn't too far away.  I'll check it out and give the Max Creek place a look.
Thank you
View Quote

Waunakee (home of the first culvers, and a microbrewery) to Appleton "isn't too far away"....    Now we know you really are from TX.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:26:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Waunakee (home of the first culvers, and a microbrewery)
View Quote

Isnt that Sauk City?
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Waunakee (home of the first culvers, and a microbrewery) to Appleton "isn't too far away"....    Now we know you really are from TX.  
View Quote

???? true!

We use to drive 4+ hours regularly to visit the parents who are in the Dallas area.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#23]
No guns IIRC, but Recob's in Prairie Du Sac, usually has quite a bit of reloading supplies and shotgun ammo.

https://recobstargetshop.com/
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#24]
2 and a half hours to Scheel's in Eau Claire...
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've won 2 firearms in Ducks Unlimited calendar raffles in recent years, and both came from a big Minnesota gun retailer/wholesaler. So I'm on their e-mail list, and I got one yesterday. This will be a bit of a drive for you, but the good news is they have the gun you seek "in stock" (as of today). They are also having their annual "try before you buy" event at the end of April, where you get to shoot guns before buying one. So if you haven't had any luck by then, and feel like taking a weekend trip, here's an option for you.

https://www.reedsgunsandammo.com/rice-creek-gun-fair?utm_campaign=917245_Gun%20Fair%20-%20Mailer%20Overview&utm_medium=email&utm_source=REEDS%20FAMILY%20OUTDOOR%20OUTFITTERS&dm_i=4WGP,JNR1,6VZ31C,26PR5,1

https://www.reedsgunsandammo.com/firearms/beretta-686-silver-pigeon-i-vittoria-12ga-28in-j686fj8v-082442915067

View Quote

Reed's is a great place to go for theit yearly tent sale as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I know a lot of people on Arfcom hate gun shows, but, go to gun shows.

https://gunshowtrader.com/gunshows/wisconsin-gun-shows/
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#27]
You can try Monsoor's in La Crosse.  They handle mid to high end shotguns, Berretta included.  I call & make sure they will be open.  They are semi / mostly retired.

https://monsoorssportshop.com/
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Isnt that Sauk City?
View Quote

I though Wauna was the first?   And the biggest is Edgerton?
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I though Wauna was the first?   And the biggest is Edgerton?
View Quote
Edgertons (technically Newville) is the largest. Original is in Sauk.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Edgertons (technically Newville) is the largest. Original is in Sauk.
View Quote

And Yes, OP, that's what we do.  Hijack your thread to talk about culvers.

We will also talk about whose bloody mary has the most add ons, whose snow is larger, and who has the best fishing/hunting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And Yes, OP, that's what we do.  Hijack your thread to talk about culvers.

We will also talk about whose bloody mary has the most add ons, whose snow is larger, and who has the best fishing/hunting.
View Quote

JFC, most accurate statement on the site.

Come fall, look out for people whipping out their phones to show you their deer.  

He forgot KwikTrip, but that was covered earlier.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

JFC, most accurate statement on the site.

Come fall, look out for people whipping out their phones to show you their deer.

He forgot KwikTrip, but that was covered earlier.
View Quote
lol  All good!

I've never been deer hunting, but wont turn down a good photo lol.

Hoping to get more into Upland type stuff with the shotgun here though.  I'll have to start doing my research.

Always down for a good Bloody Mary suggestions too!

Right now the struggle is finding a house to buy.  The market here is uh, sparse...

I knew it was going to be different from Texas, but still hard to talk yourself into spending extra when 3-400k in Texas gets you damn nice house for two people.  
Seems if we're trying to stay under $400k it's a mess of bidding wars and homes that need a bunch of work sunk into them so finding something here has been a struggle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Look in the Dells area.  Mauston, Reedsburg, New Lisbon etc.  Get some land and have your own private range.  You can stay way below $400k.  That's what my wife and I did.  The house was built in 2007, 4 beds 3 full baths, attached pole barn, food plots etc.  Everyone in that area is pretty much on the same page as I imagine you are.  Taxes are cheaper too.  Jobs don't pay as much but if you don't mind an hour commute country living is awesome.  Winters are about the same as the area you're in now.  You just need a plow for your truck or it's a good reason to get an ATV with a plow.  People drive their side by sides into town and no one batts an eye.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top