Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
10/30/2020 2:42:12 PM
Posted: 10/22/2020 4:29:05 PM EST
Hey, there. I moved from central Florida about a month ago. Had a group of buddies I’d shoot with and I’m missing getting out. Anybody mind me tagging along next time you go out? Sounds lame, but can’t hurt to ask
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 4:48:22 PM EST
Welcome to the area, luckily you moved here before the weather turned wet and cold

The DNR range is nice up north of Polk City, also a nice indoor range in Johnston, IA.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:45:43 PM EST
Gun show this weekend at the State Fairgrounds. Generally a good time, but this is a tough year and all.

We also have a number of Ike’s ranges around Des Moines (for members) but most have assorted open shooting events. Recommend you give one of those a try if schedule/life permits. My experience is generally good people to be found.

The Ames Ikes is a great facility and traditionally had indoor .22 league in the winter. Unsure if that is on during COVID.

And if you are the reason we had six inches of snow on Oct.19... Move back!
This is already a lousy feeling winter.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:39:34 AM EST
Check out the Ankeny Ikes, one of the best ranges in the state.

https://ankenyikes.org/
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:22:19 AM EST
Des Moines Gunshow this weekend at the Fairgrounds.  Good way to check out the firearms scene.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:02:01 AM EST
Welcome

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:54:40 AM EST
Welcome to Iowa.

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:04:34 AM EST
I'm taking notes on the replies here as well. Relocating to Des Moines soon, cant wait!
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 12:43:03 PM EST
Always glad to have shooting buddies. Will be in the DSM area myself.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 2:52:01 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Des Moines Gunshow this weekend at the Fairgrounds.  Good way to check out the firearms scene.
View Quote

You are required to wear a face mask at this function.  Just an FYI.

Don't get tied up with all those liberal heathens down there in central Iowa and you'll be just fine.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 5:37:32 PM EST
Thanks for the welcome and links/advice.

I guess I’m kinda spoiled in that I knew people with land. I’ve fabbed a ton of steel target stands over the years so it’s gonna be odd to shoot paper and not reach out further than a 100 yards .

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 6:02:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By FG24U:
Thanks for the welcome and links/advice.

I guess I’m kinda spoiled in that I knew people with land. I’ve fabbed a ton of steel target stands over the years so it’s gonna be odd to shoot paper and not reach out further than a 100 yards .

View Quote

Im in the same situation (I moved here a few years ago) Ames Ikes is 200yds if you feel like driving up here.

What brought you to Iowa?
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 6:09:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:

Im in the same situation (I moved here a few years ago) Ames Ikes is 200yds if you feel like driving up here.

View Quote

I’m in Waukee and it doesn’t seem too far.

Honestly, just a quality of life change. I’ve got a son who’s going on 2 and we didn’t want to raise him in Florida. I grew up in Chicago and have always missed the seasonal change (lived in Texas, Florida among a few other states since I left).
My family has a house/land in upstate Wisconsin that I’ve been to once in the last 10 years. Be nice to take the family up there every once in a while.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 6:14:50 PM EST

Honestly, just a quality of life change. I’ve got a son who’s going on 2 and we didn’t want to raise him in Florida. I grew up in Chicago and have always missed the seasonal change (lived in Texas, Florida among a few other states since I left).
My family has a house/land in upstate Wisconsin that I’ve been to once in the last 10 years. Be nice to take the family up there every once in a while.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:

I moved here from (near) Galesburg IL three years ago just for a better economy.

Iowa is not exciting, its not a place people go on vacation, its not in the news much....but it is a damn good place to live and work. I have 0 regrets about moving here, my wife and I had two other states we were looking at and Im glad we chose this one.

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:08:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2020 7:08:34 PM EST by shack357]
Welcome. If you ever find yourself in the northeast corner of the state look me up. We've got a nice 200 yard range in Cresco-membership is required but membership is also free, and amounts to a liability waiver and promise to follow the rules.

I do get down to Des Moines from time to time, but not sure when I'm heading down again.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 10:59:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By shack357:
Welcome. If you ever find yourself in the northeast corner of the state look me up. We've got a nice 200 yard range in Cresco-membership is required but membership is also free, and amounts to a liability waiver and promise to follow the rules.

I do get down to Des Moines from time to time, but not sure when I'm heading down again.
View Quote

Thanks, will do.

Any of you have NV?
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 7:13:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2020 7:14:41 PM EST by slims_88]

View Quote

I'm gonna make it up to see you first I bet.

I still need to get you that brass.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:34:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By slims_88:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slims_88:

No hurry on the brass but you know that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 10:02:05 AM EST
hey OP, Urbandale has Crossroads Shooting range and a short drive to Boone gets you to Central Iowa Impact.  Welcome to Iowa!
Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top