Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2022 5:45:11 PM EDT
I have recently moved to Virginia and today received my paper DL while I wait for me VA drivers license to be shipped.  

I checked with a local gun store to see if they would let me purchase w/ the temp DL and was told I have to wait 30 days from the date of issue of the DL.  Is this correct, was not aware of this 30 day requirement.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
It's true.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
While your at it, go get you ccw permit asap. Then you can buy more then one a month.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both. I certainly will be adding the permit as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:51:37 AM EDT
[#4]
There isn't a by-law 30day wait for new residents- there's a requirement for your ID to be 30days old which turns into that, in effect.  This is a relict from the old "one handgun a month" law, under which the crappy gov system (shocked face) could not handle things like an ID of First Middle Last compared to First M. Last, so people gamed the system with various IDs.  A cheap, thoughtless fix was the ID time requirement.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There isn't a by-law 30day wait for new residents- there's a requirement for your ID to be 30days old which turns into that, in effect.  This is a relict from the old "one handgun a month" law, under which the crappy gov system (shocked face) could not handle things like an ID of First Middle Last compared to First M. Last, so people gamed the system with various IDs.  A cheap, thoughtless fix was the ID time requirement.
View Quote

IIRC,  it is a result of some dipshit that was new to the state, bought a rifle, and then shot up a parking lot in NOVA,, may have been in the mid 90's,

and yes, it came about the same year, give or take, and the original 1 gun a month under Wilder
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all.  I guess it’s good to know my understanding of federal rules remains intact and this is an issue unique to VA.  

I guess I’ll just count down the days to make my purchase.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks all.  I guess it’s good to know my understanding of federal rules remains intact and this is an issue unique to VA.  

I guess I’ll just count down the days to make my purchase.
View Quote

In the meantime just keep a sharp stick or bat handy
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems to me the ID thing was late 80s/every early 90s when the Dems/Rinos were passing little gun control bills every year.

Used to be a thing that people from DC and other gun-control places would get a Virginia license to buy guns so they put in a 30 day wait to discourage that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top