Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2018 8:54:36 AM EDT
So I just got stationed at keelser and I’m a Virginia boy. What’s there to do around here besides the beach...? I’m a huge outdoors person. So any suggestions are appreciated
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Fishing (salt & fresh), crabbing, rifle, pistol, shotgun, archery marksmanship, hunting, swimming, kayaking, & other water sports.

Not to far up highway 49 are some nice canoeing spots.

Take the ferry out to West Ship Island, visit Fort Massachusetts, & a real beach. Most beaches on mainland are man-made.

Gulf Islands Nat'l Seashore: Davis Bayou area, camping on some of the barrier islands.

Keesler has a marina, & lots of gear, including boats, may be rented.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Cycling, Golf, Tennis, Softball, & Volleyball.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Obviously being on the beach there is tons to do. 99% of the locals don't ever set foot in the sand much less the beach water FYI.

Tons and tons of fishing opportunities, boating, kayaking, camping (either in shore or offshore). I like to camp at cat island once a year.

Theres a dcent range on hwy 67 not far from Keesler. I believe it's 200 a year. Don't have specifics on it as I'm not a member.

Theres a small handful of us arfcommers on the coast, I live in the saucier area about 25 miles NW of  
Keesler.

If you ever need anything shoot me a pm
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Gulf Cost Rifle and Pistol Club is close.  There are several Arfcommers/Colabros that shoot there.  They're like a bag of mixed nuts, yeah its mostly peanuts, but there is the occasional cashew and maybe a Brazil nut.  JK, they're great guys.  Check it out.  Also, you'll be really close to FEMA Camp Liberty.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I hear about the fema camp all the time... am I gonna die if I show up to the next meeting?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hear about the fema camp all the time... am I gonna die if I show up to the next meeting?
View Quote

If you die, its a lifetime ban.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Drive-by?
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Avoid the beach like it's the plague....water is always high with bacteria, so enter at your own risk.  Best beaches are east in Alabama, Gulf Shores-Orange Beach area.  Or go to Pensacola as the beaches there are nice.  Just my opinion..
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#9]
There is also the Pascagoula Gun Club/DCM range just east of Pascagoula, 1000 yard range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top