Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2019 6:47:01 PM EDT
What am I in for? I'm from NC, but I'm ok with the cold. My job is going to require me to live near Des Moines, but I can be up to an hour away.

I'd like to be in a small town, maybe get a few acres. I have four kids 10 and under, so a safe place with decent schools is important.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:34:05 PM EDT
Most anything out of Des Moines proper will be fine and even dsm isn’t that bad. Just need to pick the neighborhood carefully. Acreage in the metro area may be difficult. It’s a weird market.

Most gravitate to the west suburbs, which go damn near to Adel anymore. Total pop in the metro is better than 600,000. Offers pretty much anything you would likely need or want. Except machine guns.

Dsm winters aren’t bad. We’re far enough south to avoid the worst of it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:04:33 PM EDT
Welcome. @kalahnikid help this guy acclimate.

As far as acerages go I'd look outside of Polk county. Commute times are usually very timely.

I'm in a small town outside of Des Moines. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:30:19 PM EDT
I moved from Illinois almost two years ago, I hope you end up loving it here as much as I have.

My wife and I definitely had a little sticker shock real estate hunting coming from permanent recession Illinois, but it seems to hold its value.

What else do you need help with? CWL's are stupid easy to get and fairly cheap so thats good.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 2:28:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2019 2:33:45 AM EDT by bhouse1545]
my suggestion is either south of DSM or East
North anything between Ames and DSM I think will be almost touching in 10 years
West lots of small towns but that part of DSM is growing fast too also REALLY high taxes around Waukee/West Des Moines area
got a buddy paying 2.9% in property taxes.......

nice thing about DSM is about 3 hours north or south you have Minneapolis or Kansas City
West you have Omaha 2 hours away and Chicago or St Louis are only 6 hours away
so if you need to go to a big city for some reason they are all pretty close

gun laws are great and planning on getting better!

this winter was a little worse than it has been
just expect negative degrees every winter

lots of great restaurants and events in the metro (the semi pro teams are fun and cheap to go see)

only bad thing
lots of hipsters and liberals in the downtown area rest is pretty neutral
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 7:47:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2019 7:48:08 AM EDT by Beerdy]
So I'm going to be a sales rep, and my territory is going to be all of Nebraska and all of Iowa. Most of my business will be in Des Moines. Because I have to cover Nebraska as well, I was thinking about setting up shop between Omaha and Des Moines. If my math is correct, that should make it roughly a one-hour commute to each City. How is that area?
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:29:43 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Beerdy:
So I'm going to be a sales rep, and my territory is going to be all of Nebraska and all of Iowa. Most of my business will be in Des Moines. Because I have to cover Nebraska as well, I was thinking about setting up shop between Omaha and Des Moines. If my math is correct, that should make it roughly a one-hour commute to each City. How is that area?
View Quote
Any acreage closer to Des Moines than that seems to be going for $10,000/acre.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:31:10 PM EDT
That's how it was here in Charlotte too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:10:55 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Beerdy:
View Quote
Maybe look into the Atlantic area. Small towns just off of I80.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 12:23:20 PM EDT
I live there and work there. Feel free to send me a PM with any questions or whatever and I’ll tell you everything you need to know.

Welcome and thanks for canceling out the next dipshit Democrat that moves to Des Moines.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:53:10 PM EDT
Winterset, Indianola, etc.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:47:27 PM EDT
Welcome to IA! You're gonna love it here.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top