Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2023 9:15:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf]
Your opinions might vary.  I certainly oppose enactment of the proposed AWB; I personally fought against such since before 1994.  I'll fight against this proposed Bill.

OTOH, it appears that the "Powers That Be" want such a law to be enacted.  I'm not sure we can withstand this, at this point in time.

Hopefully so.  I Pray so.

But if we fail to prevent an RI AWB, then I reckon we will be added to the multiple court cases contesting such Unconstitutional Laws, and the more cases in the Courts, the sooner SCOTUS will clarify the issue, hopefully in our favor.

Just my uneducated opinion.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The ammount of court cases out there right now is hopefully what is preventing them from pushing one through now RAF.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:30:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sgwlower:
The ammount of court cases out there right now is hopefully what is preventing them from pushing one through now RAF.
View Quote
Unfortunately, I don't think most of our "very fine" State Reps, Senators, and General Office holders (such as our Governor and Atty General) care one whit about the AWB and Mag Ban being ultimately found to be unconstitutional.  IMHO, most of these people are far more interested in placating certain anti-gun interest groups, "earning" their campaign donations, and in virtue-signaling.

I certainly do hope I'm wrong and will do what I can to legally prevent the AWB from being enacted.

We should see soon enough; the end of the Spring legislative is coming soon.  It may be possible for the AWB to be "held-over" until the Fall session, but why bother--IF they have the votes to pass it now?
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:30:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#3]
I admit to being a bit confused as to whether the RI AWB is still "live"; or is it dead until the beginning of the 2024 session in January, where it is certain to be reintroduced?

The General Assembly is currently in "Recess", and IIRC, there is usually a "Fall Session", with the possibility of a rare "emergency" session.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

Can anyone say for sure about this?
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 3:17:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgwlower] [#4]
Originally Posted By raf:
I admit to being a bit confused as to whether the RI AWB is still "live"; or is it dead until the beginning of the 2023 session in January, where it is certain to be reintroduced?

The General Assembly is currently in "Recess", and IIRC, there is usually a "Fall Session", with the possibility of a rare "emergency" session.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

Can anyone say for sure about this?
View Quote

From my understanding the 2023 session is complete, pending some emergency session, it is dead, and held for further study, for us to go through the same old shit next year!
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:18:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#5]
Originally Posted By sgwlower:

From my understanding the 2023 session is complete, pending some emergency session, it is dead, and held for further study, for us to go through the same old shit next year!
View Quote
That's my current understanding, based on today's "Blow-Jo" article.  TYVM for confirming that, and much obliged.

I'm kinda surprised that the AWB bill did not make to the floor of either Chamber of the RI General Assy.  I'll have to consult some folks about that.

To my mind this works to our advantage, since pending court cases all across the country will likely be decided in "our" favor, or at least confuse the legal issue until SCOTUS finally decides.

I'm certain that the "Usual Suspects" will try to introduce an AWB next GA (2024) session, but hopefully pending results from various Fed Courts will be discouraging to them.

As far as the RI Mag Ban is concerned, the First Fed Court of Appeals does not have it on their docket, at least through the end of July, 2023.  Again, this might work to our advantage, but hard to say.

Not surprised that the Fed Court of Appeals is "Slow-Rolling" the case; probably not wanting their decision to be "smacked-down" by SCOTUS.

NO Judge likes to be reversed by a higher court.  It's an everlasting blemish on their record.  In some cases, such a reversal precludes the Judge from consideration for higher Judicial office.

Kinda irrelevant, since the "losing" side in RI Mag Ban law will appeal to SCOTUS.  RI Anti-Gun Atty General Neronha isn't spending his own money, after all; just your and my money--against our will.  

It may well be that an intervening decision from SCOTUS will render the RI Mag Ban case moot.  It seems at this point, to my non-Lawyer mind, to be headed that way.

While Atty Gen Neronha may be required by RI State law to represent RI in all Court cases, that does not excuse him from his blatant Anti-Gun beliefs and public statements in direct favor of such Anti-gun laws.  

Hopefully the legal fees incurred by the folks defending against the RI Mag Ban law will be extracted from the RI budget, and our fine ATTY General can try to explain his actions.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top