Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2023 9:23:01 PM EDT
Hello - I’d like to be is it all 50 states at least once. I have yet to go to Maine. I will have a long weekend in July and am considering a visit. Very interested in fishing and history. Any just see spots or places to avoid?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:33:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drok556] [#1]
For historical places, theyre all over the state. we have a few pretty old forts and miscellaneous trail locations with historical meanings. Also have the most eastern part of the US. Heres a few photos, i dont remember exactly where they are its been awhile lol. Idk how exciting it is but we also have the first veteran hospital dating back to the civil war and have some of the civil war soldier gravestones. That b52 crash site is a bit moving.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Fort Knox and the co located penonscot narrows bridge is worth a stop.

The B52 site is neat if your already in the area but I wouldn't make a trip out there just for that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
July is the busiest time for tourists.

But Acadia NP.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
What Ace of Based said above…👍
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#5]
There's also that old train that's out in the woods in the middle of nowhere.

Cole Transportation Museum in Bangor. There's a few cool museums around the state. Lots of old forts and such scattered around the cost. Summer time there's a lot of concerts and other events in Bangor.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Fishing on the coast in summers can be good for striped bass,fresh water has everything from trout and landlocked salmon to largemouth and small mouth bass and pike depending on where you go.
If lighthouses are of interest you will find lots of them in Maine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
A long weekend for a Texan tells me you're likely flying in.

If so, I would say fly into Portland either late on Thursday or early on Friday, rent a car, and head south to Kittery via I-95. Check out Kittery Trading Post and grab a lobster roll or fried clams at Bob's next door. When you leave, turn left out of the parking lot and head north on US Route 1.

Spend some time checking out places such as Ogunquit Beach, Wells, and Kennebunk Beach. You might consider a short cruise out around Nubble Lighthouse, which takes a couple hours.

Then, head into Portland and check out the waterfront. The Old Port is a great place to grab a drink and a bite to eat, as well as to do a bit of shopping.

From Portland, head to Cape Elizabeth and visit Portland Head Light.

Then, run up to Freeport to visit L.L. Beans before going to Bar Harbor.

Leaving Bar Harbor, head inland towards Bangor and then turn south on Route 202 towards Augusta.

From Augusta, it's a short drive back to Portland Jetport.

Alternatively, you could head north from Bangor and visit Baxter State Park before returning to Portland via I95.

Spend Friday on the seacoast in York County, Friday night in Portland, Saturday visiting Cape Elizabeth, Freeport and Bar Harbor, and Sunday visiting the interior-whether it's Bangor and Augusta or Baxter State Park and Mt. Katahdin, and fly home on Monday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top