Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2019 9:41:51 PM EDT
I've got an awesome job offer at Beale AFB, and I've been told that living in the Roseville/Rocklin/Folsom area is the way to go with my wife and kids. Cost of living isn't shouldn't be a problem, but my wife is (rightly) very concerned about the wildfires.

Any advice from people who actually live in/know the area? Is it enough of a problem to be a deal breaker?
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s not that big of a deal in that area.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely one of the more conservative parts of CA, politically. Most likely can get a CCW there without issue.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 1:10:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm from SoCal but would suggest the fires shouldn't bother you.  Not familiar with the local area politically/place to live, etc., but it's not Southern California.  Hot summers but would expect more rain than around here in the winter, more 4ish seasons.   Easy drive to Tahoe and Donner Pass, northern end of the Highway 49 Gold Country so pleasant old towns for day or weekend visits, not all that far from the wine country and not too far from San Francisco, etc.  It's not in the Bay Area megalop[olis, etc.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have lived in California a long time.  I have also lived in both hurricane and tornado country.

IMO, earthquakes and wild fires are not as large a threat as seasonal hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.  Every place has its own set of risks.  You get used to them.  Most people, the vast majority, are never directly affected by any of them.

What does matter is when a risk, a potential threat, becomes YOUR reality.  If the earthquake is right under your house, if the wildfire is in your back yard or at your Club's range, only THEN is it a BIG deal.  For most, that never occurs.

For most, a wild fire is a disruption in traffic as you commute to work (or can't get there).  For most, an major earthquake damages their freeway route to work and they have to adapt.

This is analogous to hurricanes and tornadoes, except hurricanes and tornadoes happen multiple times every year.  IMO, they're a much bigger risk.

If you have a great job offer at Beale, I'd say TAKE IT!  Plan ahead for the cost of living and housing but if those are in line, take the job.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#5]
In that area, you'll get grass fires and that's about it. The area is one of the safest in CA from Earthquakes btw, you need to check flood maps though. I'm in Fair Oaks, just south of Roseville and if I had a choice for where you are going to work, I would probably look around Loomis. Great neighborhood for families.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely one of the more conservative parts of CA, politically. Most likely can get a CCW there without issue.
View Quote
Placer County is one of better counties as far as ease of getting a CCW from the Sheriff.  Roseville, Rocklin, Loomis, and Lincoln are all nice communities.  If you have a few million to spend, there is also Granite Bay.  Stay far far away from Marysville and Yuba City (meth zombies), as well as Grass Valley and Nevada City (super liberal hippies).

ETA, from Roseville to Beale, you’re looking at about a 45 minute-ish commute on SR-65 with no traffic.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:47:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I live in Roseville, literally zero concern about wildfires where I’m at. Also, Roseville isn’t on PGE for electricity so you don’t have to worry about these power outages. Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Am I the first to say, Dont move here. Dont care how good the money, you'll pay more in taxes and everything you do.

Cost of EVERYTHING is rediculas.

Let alone the shanangins this state pulls.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#9]
seriously, look at the additional state income tax, cost of living, $4+ gas, insurance, etc.   after you factor all those not insignificant cost increases, is it really an awesome offer?

I'm in San Diego, but only due to orders
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I call that area home myself, very nice area to live in.

Aside from a shithead for Gov, and crappy politics throughout the state, you could do a lot worse in CA.

If you get here, hit me up, 1st beers on me.

Bill
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#11]
What would the commute look like from Rocklin or even Folsom? Rocklin is north of 80 atleast, while Folsom is farther south on 50...
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Placer County is one of better counties as far as ease of getting a CCW from the Sheriff.  Roseville, Rocklin, Loomis, and Lincoln are all nice communities.  If you have a few million to spend, there is also Granite Bay.  Stay far far away from Marysville and Yuba City (meth zombies), as well as Grass Valley and Nevada City (super liberal hippies).

ETA, from Roseville to Beale, you’re looking at about a 45 minute-ish commute on SR-65 with no traffic.
View Quote
There is the commute answer from Roseville. Adjust for any variance in city...
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Roseville/Rocklin is a good area.  Nice, classy.  In-laws live there so we're there pretty often.  A few good toy stores there too.  Norcal Gun Vault is right on the Roseville/Rocklin border.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#14]
My in laws live there, nice place, starting to get lots of traffic though. Overall great jumping off point to do tons of outdoor stuff. You are at the base of the foothills to the sierras.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:59:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the advice; I ended up turneling that job down. Though it sounds like Roseville/Rocklin are great places, I would've ended up spending quite a bit of time on the commute alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top