Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2020 12:36:13 PM EDT
Good morning fellow pedestrians.   We have 5 weekends for January to chose from.  One of them is this weekend so we really have 4 which is still awesome.  We do have one person who mentioned that they would not be available the 2md half of the month.  So if we can the 9th or 16th would be best for them.  

For this trek I was thinking of Myakka State Park.  It is about an hour drive south of Tampa.   I have only been to Myakka 2 times, and both were for the airboat tour.  Therefore I have no knowledge of the trail system other than what the maps online give me.  They have several different trails that all interconnect.  There will be plenty of miles to hike, even if we do an out-and-back.    I would love to get there and scout it out, but time is not on my side right now.  

If you have any questions, concerns, suggestions, or comments let me know.  

OPORD OPORD OPORD

Link to the park site

Also for those that are familiar with the medallions that were handed out to members only  at the previous hikes, there will be new swag for ALL* (even you MRATFMAN) that attend
(until supply runs out)

Ruck sacs are not mandatory to attend.  Just show up to walk with us, and spend time with one another.

ETA:  OK folks the date is set.  The OPORD will be posted on Monday.  I hope everyone has a safe and awesome weekend.  

Update 11 Jan 2021:  For 16 Jan 2021 FLBB Hike

SITUATION:
--Interest among FL Arfcommers in American Pioneer Corps and Florida branches of the organization continues to grow.
--Weather should be in the 40's - 60's depending.  Dress accordingly.  This will need to be monitored as we get closer.
--The Myakka River State Park has several different trails.  I have not been on the trails here personally, but have been told the maps are pretty spot on.  We will be able to do some land navigation in order to meet our goals.  

MISSION: Florida Battle Buddies conducts a 6-mile hike on trails at Myakka River State Park  13208 State Road 72  Sarasota FL 34241

INTENT: The intent is to meet fellow Arfcommers, engage in physical fitness training through hiking, meet the hiking requirement for Provisional rating, and optionally complete a portion of the hiking requirement for 3rd Class rating.

CONCEPT OF THE OPERATION: We will meet up at the marked tailhead on the map.  Look for the Orange Gladiator.

--NOTE: Rucksacks are NOT required! If you are physically unable to carry a rucksack, or to hike, but want to meet and network with your fellow Arfcommers, SHOW UP ANYWAY!
--We will weigh rucksacks and record screen names, give a quick safety brief, then step off NLT 9:20am.
--We will hike 3 miles out with a ride back to the staging area, or a 6 mile loop. I will be going out this weekend to verify the distances and locations for hydration caches.  
COORDINATING INSTRUCTIONS:   I will provide a scale to weigh participants' rucksacks.  I will record participants’ names, screen names, and completion of the requirements.  
--Water and LBE/PC worn on body do not count towards rucksack weight.
--If you aren’t currently conditioned towards hiking/ruck-marching, go easy and do NOT overdo it with the weight.
--Rucksacks are NOT required! If you are physically unable to carry a rucksack, or to hike, but want to meet and network with your fellow Arfcommers, SHOW UP ANYWAY!

SERVICE & SUPPORT:
--Open carry of firearms is illegal in Florida except under limited circumstances that do not apply to this hike, so we shall not hike with rifles or visible firearms.  
--Wear non-cotton socks and broken-in footgear.  This is NOT the time to break in new shoes/boots!
--Bring water that is easily accessible on the hike without having to stop, drop your rucksack, and paw through it.  Sodas just make you thirstier, so I recommend leaving them at home.  NOTE: Water does not count towards the 35/45lbs. rucksack weight.
--Bring an individual first aid kid (and blister-control items if you haven’t conditioned your feet).
--Wear sunglasses and cap with brim.  Check the weather that morning and dress accordingly.  Your body will generate heat while hiking, so don’t overdress; we don’t want any heat casualties.
--Bring snacks.
--Some of us have never hiked with significant weight before, some of us haven’t ruck-marched since 15 years and/or 50 lbs. ago.  DO NOT OVERDO IT! Tips on hiking available at Tips on hiking available at http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/2008/11/weapons-platform-major-xxxs-ruck.html.

COMMAND & SIGNAL
--Post questions in this thread or IM me through the site.
--If you want to help out in any capacity or have special skills (medic, etc.) let me know either via IM or in this thread.  
--For curious onlookers who ask who we are or what our purpose is, answer them honestly that we are a hiking club.
--I’m open to any suggestions.  All of us together are smarter than one of me!

ETA: 15 Jan 2021

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I am in for this one. I love Myakka and have been there many times. What do you want to know about it?
Trails come in three types. Semi narrow tracks through the woods, two track dirt roads for the park service people and a few powerline cuts. Expect mainly sand with some mud. Always a chance to see some live little piggies out and about but no chance for 'gators this time of year. Buzzards all over down by the lake.
Very scenic. Your feet have a good chance of getting wet where the trails have bee rutted out. You will see a lot of pig rooted areas.
There is a section of the Florida trail that runs through there but I have no idea how it fits in.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#2]
@GaryM

I am glad to hear that.    We will be looking to tie enough of the trails together to get the 6 miles in.  If nothing else we could do an "out-n-back".   However your knowledge of the trail system beyond the maps will be very handy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the power lines trail going east is nine miles one way and cuts through deer prairie slough. It used to have railroad tracks on that trail a long time ago and it's elevated so it gives you a good view of the surroundings.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I can make it if it's the 16th. Driving up from Ft. Myers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The maps are accurate and the posted distances are too. Parking is usually quite good but limited to maybe 3 or 4 cars at a trailhead (trailheads along the main road, trails starting at the main parking areas have plenty of room) There are not many "short cuts" between the trails/ Either swamp, tall grass or heavy brush sees to that. If you are brave and have a water filter you can refill your water bottles at the various random well spigots.
This is not the time but I would like to see a group of the more serious hikers do an in and back hike to Deep Hole. Just over 3 miles out and another 3 back but spring/summer/fall you will get to see dozens or more 'gators up close and personal at the "hole".
Oh, costs 6 bucks to get in. I use my disabled vets pass so I don't have to pay.
There is a good map in this brochure.
lookee here...

Another suggestion for a later date;
2.9 miles....
but add a lap around the parking lot and make it 3.
Remember, these trails will be on dirt and/or through the woods. It is a bit harder to maintain 3mph over uneven terrain.

Eta, I can not go on the 16th but can on any other day. They finally got around to scheduling my neck surgery for the 15th.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I had checked already about Deep Hole.  It has been on my bucket list for years.  Passes are issued per person at arrival.  So we would have to meet there about 830 to guarantee a spot.   That sink hole looks like something out of Africa.

Thank you for the trail input.  There are a lot of named trails there that interconnect.

ETA: I've missed seeing you at the last few hikes.  Any chance you can reschedule the surgery?  This is important man!
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Got bad news today. I go to surgery on the 15th to get three neck vertebrae fused. I cant do shit for 3 months afterwards.
2021 is already looking worse than 2020.
Oh, was in DC today for that shitshow. After what I saw the situation in this country will only get worse.
I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up wishing to go back to good old 2020.
Anyway. Will keep advised of good hiking locations. If anyone is interested next week I will be hiking to noble camp from hwy75. That camp is where they found the body of the deceased hiker a year or two ago. 4 1/2 miles each way.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh, was in DC today for that shitshow. After what I saw the situation in this country will only get worse.
View Quote

Details?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife and I are wanting to participate. Both of us are wanting to get out and meet some fellow arfcommers and get some good hiking in too. Any details on this months hike? I have drill this weekend but I'm free the weekend of the 16th or 23rd. Something a little farther north (we're in Jax) would be awesome but we're willing to drive.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like the weekend of the 16th is winning out.  Let's lock it in.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks like the weekend of the 16th is winning out.  Let's lock it in.
View Quote

Sweet! So Myakka State Park? Is that all we need to put into the GPS and go or are you guys thinking a specific spot to meet? Also, I'm no stranger to long ruckmarches but my wife is and has been having some up-and-down health issues lately. She *should* be good for 3 miles in, 3 miles out, but if not then her and I will break when she needs and catch up. Don't want to slow the group down or anything.

Not familiar with these events. Can I get some details? Packing list, what to bring, etc? Looking forward to meeting some fellow FL ARFCOMMERs!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Details?
View Quote

Never mind. I don't want to hijack this thread, IM sent.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#13]
What time are we looking at meeting on the 16th, by the way? Think it'll be about a 3 hour drive for me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Full opord will be posted tomorrow.  However the meeting time will be 0900 with a 0920 kickoff.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Guys this will be very important since we do not know the future.   Bring anyone you can, and can trust.  And if you feel comfortable be ready to exchange info with others at this FTF so we can communicate outside of here, if here is no longer there.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll be there as long as nothing comes up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Got bad news today. I go to surgery on the 15th to get three neck vertebrae fused. I cant do shit for 3 months afterwards.
2021 is already looking worse than 2020.
I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up wishing to go back to good old 2020.
Anyway. Will keep advised of good hiking locations. If anyone is interested next week I will be hiking to noble camp from hwy75. That camp is where they found the body of the deceased hiker a year or two ago. 4 1/2 miles each way.
View Quote

@GaryM  It probably won't be that bad. I had a fusion on my neck in 2014 and it wasn't a bad recovery.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#18]
What would ya'll think of having an Adam Johnson podium hike?   #1 Adam Johnson if you are on here and see this I would love to shake your hand.  #1.5 There is  a lot of serious stuff going on right now so let us make light when we can.  2# We would all share the burden and carry a podium for a percentage of the hike
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I will be there come hell or highwater. I won't be able to walk with y'all but I will be there.
There needs to be some serious discussions.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like a good hike.  I'm in.  I'll also be grabbing lunch at the park restaurant afterwards if anybody else is interested.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I will be there. My wife should be too, depending on a few things. I plan on rucking but my wife more than likely will not carry weight other than water/snacks. Trying to get one of my brothers with me as well.
Very excited. But hey, @disparcher91 did you mean stepping off at 9:20am, not pm, right?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll be there, but my ruckin days are behind me.

I'm going to shoot for about 1000 hrs.

Meet up with everyone when you get back.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#23]
0920 hrs 9:20 AM.    

Edited opord
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Mid week mid day mid everything bump
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Barring anything massively catastrophic happening, such as a civil war, or Chinese invasion, I will be there. I’m reasonably fit but not rucking for 6 miles fit so I will hike and socialize with you, my fellow arfcommers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#26]
So the 16th at 9:20 am for the date and time, is that correct?  Location at Myakka State Park not sure what location in the park.   @disparcher91
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Will be heading down from north Pinellas. Looks like 1.5 hours out for me. Planning to arrive by 9 latest.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Meeting spot is as indicated on the map.  I will try and be there by 0830.  Look for the orange gladiator.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#29]
In all seriousness folks do not be too intimidated to come out.  Packs are not required.  

Also I know that even I have been guilty of letting my emotions get away with me in the last few weeks.  But this hike is about the total opposite of that.  This is a chance to get out to nature for a few, meet up with fellow gun enthusiasts, and just relax for a little bit.  
Maybe your in the same boat as me and have picked up a surprising 25-30 damn pounds in the last 6 months.  I finally threw the sugar monkey off my back this week.  So we can discuss if sugar is, or is not, the most deadly drug on the planet.  Even without a pack you will burn close to 1000 cal. The more extra weight you carry the fuel consumed grows exponentially.  

I will try to remember to post before I head out in the morning.  I look forward to seeing you there.  

Oh  and did I mention the swag at this one will be the best one yet IMHO?  Not just for members, but for any that attend up and until supplies run out.  My  Cricut has been going snippity-snip-snip-snip
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In all seriousness folks do not be too intimidated to come out.  Packs are not required.  

Also I know that even I have been guilty of letting my emotions get away with me in the last few weeks.  But this hike is about the total opposite of that.  This is a chance to get out to nature for a few, meet up with fellow gun enthusiasts, and just relax for a little bit.  
Maybe your in the same boat as me and have picked up a surprising 25-30 damn pounds in the last 6 months.  I finally threw the sugar monkey off my back this week.  So we can discuss if sugar is, or is not, the most deadly drug on the planet.  Even without a pack you will burn close to 1000 cal. The more extra weight you carry the fuel consumed grows exponentially.  

I will try to remember to post before I head out in the morning.  I look forward to seeing you there.  

Oh  and did I mention the swag at this one will be the best one yet IMHO?  Not just for members, but for any that attend up and until supplies run out.  My  Cricut has been going snippity-snip-snip-snip
View Quote

Super excited! Will be heading out with my wife and my brother in the morning. 4 hr drive for us but we should be there right about 0900.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Can us guys from Miami tag along?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Absolutely!

Except for that @MoarCoffee guy, he”s a jackass
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I definitely recommend it.  The Tampa crew runs a great hike.

Quoted:

Absolutely!

Except for that @MoarCoffee guy, he”s a jackass

Hey, I resemble that remark.  
Really looking forward to tomorrow.  I'll have info about the next Miami area hike to share as well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I will be there and will walk at least 3 miles. No pack though.
Be prepared for some mud. Raining here 1/2 hour north.

RP (rendevous point) looks like Fox's low road access.

ETA, anyone watch "Guardian of the Glades"? They are based out of Myakka. No idea where, wouldn't want to bother them anyway.

If I can remember I will bring my magnetic vehicle signs. Look for the adventure hoopty (somewhat beat up old Toyota Sienna minivan) with the big "87" on the side.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#35]
We'll be showing up in a blue wrangler. Wife wants to bring the dog so we'll have a big dumb black lab with us
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Awesome, I’ll be there with the wife
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll be there.

Had to wait to hear from ma Son before speaking up. There was a chance he would get leave after his time at Camp Giger (USMC base for those who don't know).
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#38]
The map is blurry, is that the Foxs low road trail we are meeting at?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#39]
We're two hours away now. Looks like we'll be there right at t 9:20 ??
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#40]
En route
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Just got on 72. heading to the park. running late, hoping to be there by 9:30. hit traffic thru Sarasota.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Had an awesome time!!  Thanks for putting this together!  
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Same here, great meeting y'all. Looking forward to next time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Excellent hike and an awesome turnout.  Great to see some old faces again, and meet all the new ones.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Great meeting you guys! We had a blast. Luger slept like a log the rest of the day. He was a happy dog ??
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyway to get a copy of the group picture? Maybe best not to post it but perhaps email/text it to the people who were in it?
Unfortunately I think in the future pictures might be eliminated.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Great meeting you guys! We had a blast. Luger slept like a log the rest of the day. He was a happy dog ??
View Quote

He looked exhausted. I bet the enjoyed it though.

Moar Coffee, I made it out to Nobles camp today, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#48]
AAR:

Another great hike in the books.  It was right at 6.5-6.6 total miles.  Temps were in the 60's with cloud cover and flat terrain.  

We had 13 show up for this hike along with another that came to hang out after the hike.  There was a hiccup or two and I will bear responsibility for them.   My apologies to those to whom I did not sufficiently communicate the 1.5 mile mark to, and only discovered at 3 miles that they were along for the full ride

In the future we may bee looking at having two groups.  One for those who wish to make time and weight.  And a second for those who are there for the comradery.  Also the use of a trail marking system such as corn starch, or flower, to mark a turnaround point or change of direction.  When we can we may print out maps of known courses for those coming along.  On this one we were land navigating a bit as we went.  So when we became  spread out we had to wait several times to ensure people knew which way to go at intersections.  This delayed those who were rucking for time.  Again I am not knocking anyone who came just to hike.  I am learning and adjusting so that we can incorporate larger groups.

On separate hikes we had people bring children in strollers and animals.   I for one would really like to encourage this.  I want to see more families coming out to the events.  We have had people from other groups come out, and we love seeing them too.  And hearing what they have to say.  

After this hike several of us met up at the concession area for lunch.  It was priced steep though.   That being said we discussed the idea of possibly having hotdogs / hamburgers at the end of the hikes.  Some people have quite a drive even after the hike so it would be simple and short.  

Anyway I am not a professional organizer by any means and I am learning as I go.  I am very grateful to all of you who showed up at the hike.  I thank you for all of your support, and hope to continue to improve the experience.

MoarCoffee
GaryM
CrazyIvan
dickjames214
Blanco_Diablo
PhilChordoma
Yea_Right
MyakkaVice
getawheel
And to the spouses, friends, family, and pets that accompanied us

Attachment Attached File

ETA: I did not realize how "Purge" like the photo came out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Excellent picture.
I never realized how many of us have such beautiful smiles.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#50]
The wife and I had a blast the weather was perfect. Thanks for putting this together.  We look forward to attending more in the future stay safe fellas ????
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top