Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2021 8:37:25 PM EDT
ETA:  Added poll to get a headcount for the free food.

Now that Dispatcher has shamed me into getting off my duff, here is the plan for the next Miami area FLBB APC hike.

I'm kicking around the idea of cooking up some burgers and such for lunch after the hike.  Let me know what you all think.  It seems like a good way to enhance the camaraderie.

OPORD below:

SITUATION:
Area of Operations:  Florida National Scenic Trail, from the Northbound Trailhead on I-75 (Mile Marker 63), to a point 3 miles north of the trailhead.  
Terrain:  Unpaved, slightly elevated roadway, consisting of hard packed limestone fill.  Some loose rock and minor tripping hazards will be present.  Slight downgrade is present on the west side of the roadway, terminating in a drainage canal.  
Due to close proximity to wetlands, some insect activity is possible, but should be mitigated by seasonal weather conditions.  Please don’t pet the prehistoric reptiles.  Individuals are encouraged to remain on the elevated roadway.  Other loop trails intersect with this path, but will not be utilized for this hike.

Meeting Location

Weather: TBD (Predicted: High – 72F, Low – 55F, Sunny)
Sunrise: 0713
Higher Mission/Intent:
Mission: The mission of the American Pioneer Corps (APC) is to provide public service to the nation by encouraging physical fitness and organization for patriotic Americans throughout the country.
Intent: The purpose of these hikes is to establish the Florida APC network. These groups will meet in various cities across the state to develop a functional network. Events are occurring throughout the state. Miami APC will support this endeavor by completing a ruck march in preparation for more intensive events.
MISSION: Miami APC conducts 6-mile ruck march at 1100, 30 JAN 2021 northbound on the Florida Trail.  The hike will begin at the northbound trailhead located at mile marker 63 on I-75.  The hike will proceed north for a distance of 3 miles, then return to the starting point.

EXECUTION:
Intent: My purpose is to establish local APC groups in the Miami / South FL area in conjunction with groups in other areas of the state. Our key tasks are to
1) Meet others in our area
2) Conduct a ruck march. Desired end state is a 6 mile hike in less than two hours with no injuries.
3) Provide a venue for individuals to gain resilience through voluntary exposure to challenges

Concept of Operation: Members will arrive at the Trailhead at or before 1030. Group will conduct safety brief, prep gear, wait for latecomers/stragglers, etc. until step-off at 1100. Packs will be weighed for qualification upon request. Group will hike Northbound along the Florida Trail for a distance of 3 miles, then return via the same route. Upon completion of the event, group will make coordination for the next event and conduct AAR.
Scheme of Maneuver: Group will move in a column through the trail, allowing traffic to pass as necessary.  Packs are optional.  Pace will be minimum 19:00/mi according to APC SOP.
Coordinating Instructions: APC standards are here: https://americanpioneercorps.org/guidelines/. Members are encouraged but not required to use a pack weighing a minimum of 35lb (excluding drinking water).
Timeline:
1030 - Arrival
1100 - Step Off
1300 - March Complete
1330 - Depart Area
Risk Reduction
Accountability: A headcount will be performed at the following points: Step-off, at the 2-mile point, and at the turnaround point. The headcounts will occur at the same locations on the return leg.
Lost Person Plan: If any hiker becomes lost during the movement, they will hold in place for 15 minutes. After this time, the individual will orient themselves to place the canal on their right side, and proceed along the roadway to the trailhead.  
Uniform/Packing List:
Required: Athletic/outdoor clothes, boots or athletic shoes. Motivation.
Recommended: Rucksack (frame highly recommended) with minimum 35lbs. Straps secured and packed tight. Bug spray/sunscreen/allergy meds as needed. Garbage bags for trash collected along trail.

SUSTAINMENT:
Logistics: Restroom facilities are available at the rest area.  No open-carry firearms are permitted on the trail.  The trail is used extensively by FWC, birders, bikers, hikers and hippies.  Dress accordingly.  Expect a medium/high Karen-factor.
Class I (food/water): Limited water is available at the rest area. Water will be staged at the vehicles for topping off. Recommend bringing, at minimum, 64oz of water for the hike.
Class VIII (medical): Bring allergy meds/personal prescriptions as needed.
Medical: If a medical emergency occurs on the trail, members will call 911 and move casualty to the trailhead, if able.  If unable to move the casualty, at least one hiker will remain with the victim. Other hikers will proceed to the trailhead to guide EMS.  EMS is located adjacent to the rest area on the South side of I-75.
In the event of a routine casualty, not threatening life or limb, we will help/carry the injured individual to the trailhead. We will then self-transport the injured party one of the following hospitals, as appropriate:
Cleveland Clinic ER - 3100 Weston Rd, Weston, FL, 33331 (~40 miles East)
Physicians Regional ER - 8300 Collier Blvd, Naples, FL, 34114 (~40 miles West)
Minor medical issues may be treated onsite if within the skill set of first aid and basic medical supplies (i.e., blisters, cuts, etc.)

COMMAND AND SIGNAL:
Command Posts: Main gather point is the trailhead parking area
Identification: Gather point will be identified by a Florida HTF BFL.
Signal: ARFCom thread is the primary communication until step-off; OP will be active on the thread until step-off at 1100.  Individuals are encouraged to bring radios for use during the hike.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for the weekend.  Y'all are a tough crowd.  I figured free food would have you come runnin'  

@MCW
@Falaholic87
@toyotaman
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm still recovering from the last one. Maybe in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I am working the weekend of the 30th or I'd be down to go.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I just moved to S. Fl a few weeks ago and fairly out of shape.  On a scale of 1 - 10 1 being severely out of shape to 10 being a olympic cross country runner, how difficult would this be?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]
We are in.

First hike.

Looking forward to it.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Old and my hip locks up.
Did a 2 miler a few weeks ago and it took awhile.

Will still do beer guard duty.

Jan. 30? At 10.30 am?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just moved to S. Fl a few weeks ago and fairly out of shape.  On a scale of 1 - 10 1 being severely out of shape to 10 being a olympic cross country runner, how difficult would this be?
View Quote

Only pythons and rattlers.

Don't pick up the brown palm leaves.

I can serve as your guide.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My old fatass should get in on this
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont have anything else planned.  I'm in.  someone please compile a list of reloading and good gun stores around the area for me please.  TIA  ^^

I guess i'll just bring some water and gauge my physical limitations.  Maybe the next hike i'll try to get up to snuff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll be fine, it's a two hour walk.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I will try to make it. Maybe with pack, maybe not. Ya know, I was just there earlier this week. Nice place. Lemme see if I can add a picture or two.
Pretty much what the trail looks like and of a non-Karen to share the trail with.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Will be bringing a friend too, also bringing a couple of Baofengs so the front of the line can talk to the back of the line.
Radios are already programmed, that was a bitch....
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:38:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I dont have anything else planned.  I'm in.  someone please compile a list of reloading and good gun stores around the area for me please.  TIA  ^^

I guess i'll just bring some water and gauge my physical limitations.  Maybe the next hike i'll try to get up to snuff.
View Quote

There is literally nothing in the area but a rest stop for 50 miles in any direction
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#14]
In general, i mean s. Florida.  I haven’t found any good fun shops.  I know theres a shortage, but theres always some things trickling in.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad to interest is picking up, and I look forward to seeing all the new faces.  This is a flat, mostly level, well packed trail and was high and dry a couple weeks ago.  The only real difficulty comes from the distance, and doing this as an out-and-back allows individuals to turn around if needed.

Packs are encouraged, but definitely not required.  As long as the turnout supports it, I will likely spilt the us into two groups.  One group for those rucking for time, and another for those not yet looking for that challenge.  My foremost goal is to get everyone out to meet each other.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#16]
If its mostly flat, I can probably handle 19 min/mile.  I'll bring supplies, but not 30lb.  i got some solar stuff to try out too.  I miss my camping buddies at home.  always trying out ways to live off the grid.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Packs are encouraged, but definitely not required.  As long as the turnout supports it, I will likely spilt the us into two groups.  One group for those rucking for time, and another for those not yet looking for that challenge.  My foremost goal is to get everyone out to meet each other.

View Quote

I know that I would very much like to try the 6 miles with 45 lbs under time. Maybe if anyone is feeling ambitious, we could try 15 minute miles.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Went to Walmart today and both hips were stiff.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Just an update as of 10am Fri 29 Jan, I have to go to Miami tomorrow I'm trying to get it moved so hopefully I can make it, but no promises.

Confirmed.  I need be at the office at 9am tomorrow.  I will miss the hike.  sorry.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll be there. Brown F150 with a BFL in the back window.

Glad I checked again....for some reason I was thinking this was for Sunday.

That would have been a 2020 move......
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Still a go here and bringing a friend. Anyone who would like to test out their Baofeng (or whatever radio) this would be a good time and place.
As for splitting the group, well, one thing good about an out and back hike is it is damn hard to be left behind.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been on the fence all week about this hike, but what the hell.   The later start time makes it workable for me to get there.

I'll bring my Boatfang too
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Turned in everything and worked late today just so I can get a break tomorrow.  So i'll see you tomorrow!
I'll be in a grey Titan.  Darth Vader hitch cover.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Turned in everything and worked late today just so I can get a break tomorrow.  So i'll see you tomorrow!
I'll be in a grey Titan.  Darth Vader hitch cover.
View Quote

Awesome to hear.  Thanks for the dedication!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#25]
F--k, should have gone.

Ended up raking and picking up leaves for 5 hours.

6 extra strength tylenol and a 24 oz. beer later is good juju.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Had a great time. Even after losing then happily finding my radio and of course I didn't finish in time it was still quite enjoyable. I think the final 'gator count was 4.
I have the picture of everyone standing around enjoying some excellent tailgate cooking but I don't know how to blur out the faces, can anyone help out? I can IM or email the picture.
BTW Moarcoffee, you went above and beyond bringing the food and cooking for us all, made a great hike even better.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Had a good time, but now I can't walk well.  Two big blisters and 4 tiny ones.  Definitely going to get new shoes before I do the next one!

Thanks everyone!  Good to meet everyone.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Big thanks to everyone who make the trek today.  Overall it was a great event with nine hikers in attendance.  I'm really encouraged by the turnout for the recent hikes, and I couldn't ask for a better group.

A few notes:
The turnout permitted us to split the group between those trying for rating, and those who aren't quite there yet.  This worked well.  It avoided pushing some people past their limit, while also permitting others to push themselves.  The split also gave us an opportunity to exercise radio comms, which is something I plan to incorporate into future events.

A negative consequence to splitting the group is a reduced ability for individuals to talk to one another during the hike.  To combat this, I am becoming a fan of getting together after the hike for lunch.  Either out somewhere, or just cooking on the tailgate like we did today.  This allows for a winding down of the event, while giving everyone the opportunity to actually get to know one another.  Following the hike, there seems to be a sense of earning this camaraderie (via mutual suffering ).

APC Results:
nostalgic, kc1911 and I completed the 6 miles in 1:42, with nostalgic and myself carrying weight.  nostalgic has achieved the provisional rating per APC standards.

Quoted:
Had a good time, but now I can't walk well.  Two big blisters and 4 tiny ones.  Definitely going to get new shoes before I do the next one! (snip).
View Quote

Thanks for being candid, and I hope your feet heal up quickly.  I'm taking this as a lesson learned and adding blister prevention and hotspot treatment to the pre-hike brief, along with carrying treatment in an easily accessed spot.  We may have been able to mitigate the issue if we had treated it early.  You toughed it out like a trooper, but having people leave in worse condition than they showed up isn't the standard I'm trying to set.  This is an area for me to improve.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks for being candid, and I hope your feet heal up quickly.  I'm taking this as a lesson learned and adding blister prevention and hotspot treatment to the pre-hike brief, along with carrying treatment in an easily accessed spot.  We may have been able to mitigate the issue if we had treated it early.  You toughed it out like a trooper, but having people leave in worse condition than they showed up isn't the standard I'm trying to set.  This is an area for me to improve.
View Quote

Probably more of my own personal problems.  Like I've previously mentioned, its been awhile since I've done anything like this considering the covid-19 issues.  3 year old shoes just don't cut it anymore.  I got some epsom salt and a good soak so no harm really done.  In fact, I like having my wife take care of me for a night.   ^^
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Great job putting this together MC. Thanks.

I look forward to more of these events and meeting more of the like minded people around here.

The grilling at the end was a great touch. Quick and easy since everyone has a drive home.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Thank you MoarCoffee for putting this together and we really appreciated the time after the hike.

I've been hanging around this board for 14 years and in Florida for 12 and this is the first time meeting up since we have been down here. All I can say is that I wish we had done it sooner. For anyone who hasn't come out yet, you need to do so. It was a great way to challenge ourselves and hang out with some great people.

Family had a great time and now I absolutely have to hike next month and try to beat that time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Thank you MC for hosting this event.  There were some beautiful Gators out there to see also.    

What do you mean we could not talk?  YeaRight turned around just to get away from my constant chatter .    The cooking idea is a good one to get everyone together.  

Attendance has been really great at these events.  We would always like to see more come out though.  These are family and pet friendly events.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top