Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2020 7:22:49 AM EDT
I heard on the local news this morning that the esteemed mayor of Jackson was “suspending” open carry under the pretext of the virus issue. Of course all the reasons cited was the usual BS such as increased violence, crime etc. He never did explain how his action has any connection to the virus. Just another politician trying to take advantage of the well established ”never let a crisis go to waste mentality.”

I grew up in Jackson and was fortunate enough to have moved out of state many years ago. I moved back to Ms 10 years ago and it pains me to see what Jackson has become. Of course the Mayor’s action will have no effect on crime and violence other than to increase it.

Just wondering if there are any well know Litigators that might have some input on this situation?

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#1]
(Not a litigator) I'd guess that this won't last since it violates state pre-emption. The AG is supposedly on it now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Backlash from state officials
Lumumba’s executive order received backlash from Republican State Senator Chris McDaniels and the Attorney General of the State Lynn Fitch.

McDaniels made a statement on Facebook criticizing Lumumba’s decision.

“Mayor Lumumba has no power to trample on the Second Amendment,” McDaniels wrote. "Despite his attempted power grab, he absolutely cannot block legal carry of lawfully owned firearms. Instead of dictating unconstitutional actions, he would be better served to finally repair the city’s potholes, help reduce violent crime against innocent victims, and perhaps balance a budget for a change.”

Attachment Attached File

Fitch released a statement on Twitter saying that cities do not possess the authority to violate citizens’ Constitutional rights.

Lynn Fitch
@LynnFitch
Cities can't usurp the authority of the State's elected Legislature and violate the Constitutional rights of the people. I support the 2nd Amendment and will enforce the laws of this State.
Attachment Attached File

https://www.wlbt.com/2020/04/26/jackson-mayor-suspends-open-carry-law-amid-covid-pandemic-receives-backlash/

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey Nolo, how bad is the bitch slap going to be?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol.  I’m watching this. Had a fun complaint ready, and then just needed the order, but damn, he is getting his ass reamed by the AG already and some state reps are threatening to withhold funding to Jackson.  I’m laughing my ass off. What a dumb idiot. I’ll be on supertalk tomorrow at 11am to discuss his idiocy.
View Quote

How did that go?? Lol

Any chance they have a podcast we could pull up??
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#7]

In response to the decision, the Mississippi Justice Institute filed a lawsuit against Lumumba, arguing that the action is unconstitutional, according to WLBT.

"The U.S. Constitution and the Mississippi Constitution protect the right to openly carry firearms in public for self-defense, as do Mississippi statutes. A mayor does not have the authority to override these constitutional rights, even during a state of emergency," reads a statement from the group.
View Quote

"Mississippians should know that when the government tries to take away your constitutional rights, MJI will always be in your corner to help you fight back," said MJI Director Aaron Rice, who added that the crimes have nothing to do with COVID-19, or the right to open-carry a firearm in public for self-defense.
View Quote

MJI Sues Jackson Mayor Over Suspension of Open Carry Law

Jackson Mayor Suspends Open Carry Law - Gets Sued

Got me two words for the Mayor of Jackson, and they sure as hell ain't "Happy Birthday."  
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#8]
gooD find
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Attorney General Fitch joins legal battle against Jackson Mayor.

Mississippi Attorney General Lynn Fitch filed an amicus curiae, or friend of the court brief, in federal court on Thursday.

This filing comes after the Mississippi Justice Institute filed a lawsuit against Jackson Mayor Chokwe A. Lumumba over the suspension of the open carry law.

General Fitch stated the filing reaffirms the constitutional right to bear arms, supports Mississippi laws that protect that right, and seeks to overturn Jackson’s unlawful order.

“Jackson has no authority to suspend open carry and it is shameful to use the current crisis as a pretext to revoke the constitutional rights of the people,” said General Fitch. “I stand ready to protect our rights and defend our laws.”

She wrote Mayor Lumumba on Sunday, April 26, demanding that he revoke his order, noting he had no authority to issue it in the first place.

The Jackson City Council also disapproves of Mayor Lumumba’s decision. They have sought independent counsel to represent the city in opposition to Mayor Lumumba’s suspension of the state’s open carry law.
View Quote

LINK
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess Lumummbles doesn't want the few good people left in Jackson to have a fighting chance against his thugs that have overrun the city.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 4:55:03 AM EDT
[#15]
The fact that there is even a mayor named Chokeweed Lugubrious or whatever his made up bullshit name is, just kills me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The fact that there is even a mayor named Chokeweed Lugubrious or whatever his made up bullshit name is, just kills me.
View Quote

We should not make up names to ridicule him.

The name it self is a POWERFUL message for anyone who will study history, needs to be left alone.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 12:00:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We should not make up names to ridicule him.

The name it self is a POWERFUL message for anyone who will study history, needs to be left alone.
View Quote

Oh, I know where his (racist) daddy's assumed name came from.

I just choose to not to respect his choice of names, because I have zero respect for him or his idiot (racist) son.

As far as the lessons of history, those are for people who can actually read, and the vast majority of modern Americans don't fall into that category, unfortunately.

I watch a group of 20-somethings sit, enraptured, in front of Sports Center every single day, talking idly about the events of the day, and their cartoonish understanding of history is just painful.

Illiteracy, sloth and racism elected Chokwe I and Son of Chokwe.

Can't wait to see what comes after. Prezidint Camacho, maybe?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top