Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2021 12:20:15 AM EDT
So I had a thread last fall cause I stupidly let my permit expire (got confused on the date, oops)  So I was going to call them yesterday to book an appointment, whenever that might be.  Checked the website and now they have a notice up about they are not processing new applications because of covid.  Went into effect Dec 14, 2020.  May or May not come back in February.

Based upon the increased level of COVID-19 cases, CCP will be closed to all new applicants until at least February 1st of 2021, with the effective date of December 14th at close of business with option to extend based upon the pandemic.
View Quote

Which, considering they have 2 ladies that do the paperwork, and they only do it for a grand total of 29 hours a week...the backlog will only be measured in years....sigh.

So....Got a question about our and KS permitless carry.  If I'm reading the laws right, it looks like we can carry in KS under their permitless law, and vice versa.  Or am I missing a 'must be a resident of' statement somewhere?
Basically it sounds like unless they require a Resident Permit from your state, we can carry in KS.  (Which is good cause I'm over there all the time, obvs being in the KC area)

(I have a trip planned to Colorado later this summer.  Looks like even with a CCW permit, carry is a bitch out there, and Car Carry makes our pre-2004 car carry laws look nice! So I dunno on all that yet.)

And finally, I dread calling, but I think I will call and explain my 'situation' and see if there is anyway I can mail them my old training docs.  I mean, I had the permit for 15 years, they can verify that and surely could just process it and I'll pay the New Permit fees.  (I bet other counties would do that)  Anyone know if there is a chance of that?  Or should I save the frustration of having to talk to them?
(even sillier idea: is there anyway to 'bypass' the office and get Extra Special Permission from like a State Rep or something?  Seems absurd that they can simply Not Process applications in a Shall Issue state.  But...I guess that's how it is.)

(and once again I am so regretting moving out of Cass Co.... )
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You can carry in KS without a permit. I think that is any state with constitutional carry. I was able to carry in Alaska a few years ago as well with no permit.

You can try and call the office, but I have a feeling you will get the run around and "wait your turn in line" speech.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I bet the Jackson Co executive will get right on it and help you out.  
You might be able to get grandfathered due to the rona delays.....maybe.

Good luck.  That's the shitty deal with having to deal with it on the county level.  We go through an office that is part of the AG's office.  Might be worth it to contact MO AG.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad I moved to Cass county.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can carry in KS without a permit. I think that is any state with constitutional carry. I was able to carry in Alaska a few years ago as well with no permit.

You can try and call the office, but I have a feeling you will get the run around and "wait your turn in line" speech.
View Quote

Cool, thanks.

And yeah.  Part of why I expired was every time I called, way before covid was even on the radar, they were 3 or 4 months behind, oh you need this, oh you need that, you don't need the permit now that there's the permitless carry...yadda yadda.  Honestly, I kind of blame them for me going over on the expiration date!

(It really gets me on how they close for an hour at lunch.  Which is fine. But a guy answers the phone, BUT we won't take a message or schedule appts.  So like...why are you wasting time and money to answer the damn phone then?!?)
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bet the Jackson Co executive will get right on it and help you out.  
You might be able to get grandfathered due to the rona delays.....maybe.

Good luck.  That's the shitty deal with having to deal with it on the county level.  We go through an office that is part of the AG's office.  Might be worth it to contact MO AG.
View Quote

They have an email address, figure I'll shoot them an email and see what the canned response is.

I also thought about the State AG, but I think I'll just wait till all this blows over and gets back to normal.  I'm on enough lists, I don't need to be on the JaCo 'guy cries to the State' list.  lol.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Glad I moved to Cass county.
View Quote

Sigh, I miss it so much! I actually moved a couple times before due to work, once way out to KS.  But yeah, in Cass it was so nice to be able to drive the Sherriff's office, walk in and say I need to change the address on my CCW permit.  And the person at the counter was all 'no problem, I need $20 bucks' (or whatever it was) and boom.  In and out in 5 friggin minutes.

I still drive down to Belton for DMV stuff.  JaCo is always a 2-4 hour wait!  Even with driving down and back to belton from Blue Springs, it takes less time!  

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck Jackson county. They were bad with permits even before the scamdemic. I don't know what I was thinking moving here...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:32:25 AM EDT
[#8]
You should not be considered a new applicant. You are renewing and you have 6 months after your permit expired to do so but there is a $10 per month late fee added to late renews.

Based upon the increased level of COVID-19 cases, CCP will be closed to all new applicants until at least February 1st of 2021, with the effective date of December 14th at close of business with option to extend based upon the pandemic.
View Quote

You can renew by mail. Go to this website and read it:
Renew Conceal Carry Permits for Jackson County
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Did I miss the part where you travel outside of MO and KS and need a permit to ccw in those other places?

Because otherwise why bother?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did I miss the part where you travel outside of MO and KS and need a permit to ccw in those other places?

Because otherwise why bother?
View Quote

One reason is so you don't risk a misdemeanor if you *accidentally* carry into one of the off-limits places.

And school zones.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#11]
In Ks you bypass the call on the 4473 with CCW.  If store allows it
Not sure in MO
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Renewal in Franklin County yesterday.
In and out.   See you in five years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top