Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2018 6:43:31 PM EDT
Good evening everyone,

I may be relocating near the Jackson area very soon with work and wanted to ask a few questions.

Any good outdoor ranges around Jackson/Pearl? How is the market for rental properties?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The best outdoor Range will be Magnolia rifle and pistol club in Byram Mississippi. There’s a lot of rental properties in the area.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Magnolia is a real gem.  It is a members only range and WELL worth joining.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice, I was just looking at some properties available in Byram. Thanks for the insight guys!
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Magnolia is a real gem.  It is a members only range and WELL worth joining.
View Quote
Truth. Plus they host USPSA, Steel Challenge, and 3 Gun matches if that's your thing. They're usually a good time.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I don’t know what kind of music you listen to, but if you are up on Saturday mornings, 107.5 has a good blues show on from 0600-1000. I’m on the road heading back to TN at that hour, and it’s good music for a mostly-empty I-55.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If I may make a suggestion, stay out of living in hinds county. Check out Madison or rankin. I’d be more than happy to answer any questions about the areas.
View Quote
This!

When we came to town, we rented a very nice home in Eastover, the very best part of Jackson.  Within a few months, a resident not far from us (loading up his vehicle to go to a competition at the range) was car jacked and shot two people. Then, not far from us, they started putting in halfway houses.

Fuck that noise. I am not here all the time. I did not want my wife (who is usually here) dealing with that.

We moved to Madison.  It is a horrible, xenophobic, sterile bubble with absurd architectural building codes and no proper bars....but it is nice, with stable values and the good schools.  The powers that be work to keep it that way. Their absurdity will not save them forever, but for now, it is working and I understand why they do things like they do.

The gun culture here is awesome.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice, I was just looking at some properties available in Byram. Thanks for the insight guys!
View Quote
Byram is south Jackson overflow basin.

We left there 4 years ago and moved to Florence just east. Much much better.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This!

When we came to town, we rented a very nice home in Eastover, the very best part of Jackson.  Within a few months, a resident not far from us (loading up his vehicle to go to a competition at the range) was car jacked and shot two people. Then, not far from us, they started putting in halfway houses.

Fuck that noise. I am not here all the time. I did not want my wife (who is usually here) dealing with that.

We moved to Madison.  It is a horrible, xenophobic, sterile bubble with absurd architectural building codes and no proper bars....but it is nice, with stable values and the good schools.  The powers that be work to keep it that way. Their absurdity will not save them forever, but for now, it is working and I understand why they do things like they do.

The gun culture here is awesome.
View Quote
We tried making Fondren and Belhaven work, but Jackson managed to finally make it unworkable between the taxes, crime, incompetent circus that passes for local government, failing infastructure, and complete lack of decent schools for under $10k per kid per year.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We tried making Fondren and Belhaven work, but Jackson managed to finally make it unworkable between the taxes, crime, incompetent circus that passes for local government, failing infastructure, and complete lack of decent schools for under $10k per kid per year.
View Quote
Yeah, there is just not enough “buffer” around Fondren and Belhaven.  It goes bad within one street.

We have certainly enjoyed a few things about the area and have met some wonderful people but we feel like we live in a very small bubble...a bubble without much to do.  Outside of the bubble is the nation’s worst poverty. Some of the worst crime, an utter lack of education and most people here are deluded Into thinking this is a friendly place.  Service is the worst I have ever experienced anywhere and I have been everywhere.  There is just a lot of hate and misery (on all sides) and it has been unpleasant.

I will miss some people and a select few places to eat but our time here is comming to an end.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#11]
At least the IBC is in town. I hate the thought of moving to Madison but I have too many connections as well as some family business concerns or we would move to TN or KY. Maybe some day Jackson will quit hating its tax base and the locals will realize that electing crooks and illiterate bloviators only results in a downward spiral. I had a personal barometer that was a coworker that was a college educated black man with a college educated wife and kids. Exactly the person Jackson needs to grow and prosper. He threw in the towel last year and moved to Clinton where "the police come when you call them". Jackson is trying hard to run off anyone with a job and  a drive to prosper. People like my parents and their generation can spend the money to live in NE Jackson relatively isolated from problems, but that doesn't fix the roads, decrease the crime, or help the younger generation that doesn't want to buy a $350,000 house a block from $50,000 houses just to not have their car stolen from their driveway.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 1:08:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
At least the IBC is in town. I hate the thought of moving to Madison but I have too many connections as well as some family business concerns or we would move to TN or KY. Maybe some day Jackson will quit hating its tax base and the locals will realize that electing crooks and illiterate bloviators only results in a downward spiral. I had a personal barometer that was a coworker that was a college educated black man with a college educated wife and kids. Exactly the person Jackson needs to grow and prosper. He threw in the towel last year and moved to Clinton where "the police come when you call them". Jackson is trying hard to run off anyone with a job and  a drive to prosper. People like my parents and their generation can spend the money to live in NE Jackson relatively isolated from problems, but that doesn't fix the roads, decrease the crime, or help the younger generation that doesn't want to buy a $350,000 house a block from $50,000 houses just to not have their car stolen from their driveway.
View Quote
I just can't get into Ballet.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Every other morning I’m in a hotel in Canton, and usually watch WAPT 16 news while eating breakfast. It’s damn depressing when the first ten minutes are about the overnight killings and robberies. I just turn off the TV in the breakfast area and eat in silence.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just can't get into Ballet.  
View Quote
Just view it as a highbrow burlesque for those with initials after their name and no car note.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just view it as a highbrow burlesque for those with initials after their name and no car note.
View Quote
My wife is one of those people....and she would rather shoot shit and BBQ.

That is why we did not buy in Reuinion/Bridgwater/Annendale or the like.   Even with credentials that beat most everyone in those places, we just couldn’t get our noses turned to the proper angle, our pinkeys  far enough out or care much for pineapples. :)
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That is why we did not buy in Reuinion/Bridgwater/Annendale or the like.   Even with credentials that beat most everyone in those places, we just couldn’t get our noses turned to the proper angle, our pinkeys  far enough out or care much for pineapples. :)
View Quote
I couldn't swing with them either and I was raised here. There has always been a certain friction between old delta and farm money and the upstarts with a law degree from Ole Miss that think a half acre lot is owning land. I got caught smack in the middle of it growing up. NE Jackson is toxic if you don't travel the world a little and get some fresh air from time to time.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I can put you in touch with higher end rentals for not so much more than medium end stuff.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Grew up in Byram and moved about 4 years ago to Brandon! Most anywhere in Rankin Co is nice. Madison as well. I would avoid Hinds Co all together. Magnolia Rifle and pistol club is your best bet for a range.. great people, well kept and good safety rules. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

-SS
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Igotthatreference.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top