Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/10/2018 12:20:50 PM EDT
June 1 (final) edit: bullet dodged, with a nice little "fuck you" for the antis on the side.  Thanks for all the hard work from everyone who supported our pro 2A organizations, made phone calls, emailed, showed up...I'm sure MNGOC can explain the next steps better than I can so I won't try.  On balance, not a bad year at all though.

May 24 edit: From the MN Gun Owners Caucus facebook page:

Back to back wins!

ENVIRONMENT BILL PASSED the Senate with these provisions for Hunters/Sports Shooters
- NO new lead ammo ban
- .410 legal for Turkey
- NV/Thermal use legal for Predators
- Grants for Firearm Safety in Schools
- Blood tracking dog use for wounded game

May 15 edit: Okay, I'll call it now.  Smoke em if you got em.  This isn't over by a long shot, but it's also okay to celebrate the small wins.    
—————

Please consider joining and contributing some money.  The antis outspent the NRA this past election.  Everytown and Soros are going to be giving lots of support to our local politicians for gun control attempts in 2019, and it's not the time to get complacent with just a one vote majority in the state senate.  My only association with MN Gun Owners Caucus is as a regular member.

Whoanelly --

I'm writing to ask for your support in the months ahead for what will be our biggest challenge in the last several years in Saint Paul.

Last year our full-time presence at the Minnesota State Legislature throughout session helped stave off gun control efforts that were being put forth by anti-gun DFL metro leadership.  We've been able to challenge Ramsey County's ban on firearms at polling places and take the fight to cities like Plymouth, Savage, Eden Prairie, and Saint Louis Park.

This week's election has brought forth a new set of challenges with an anti-gun majority in the Minnesota House and a new Governor-elect who campaigned on a number of extreme gun control measures -- all backed by millions of dollars from Michael Bloomberg's Everytown & Moms Demand Action spent in the elections this year.

We're going to have our work cut out for us in the weeks ahead - and we're going to need your help!

I'm asking you today, Whoanelly, if you'll signup as a Second Amendment Defender with the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus.

Second Amendment Defender monthly contributors are the backbone of the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus - and we need as many supporters who care about the Second Amendment to sign up today.

Right now, all eyes are focused on the upcoming legislative session - and we're going to be in the middle of the fight.

This is where the Second Amendment Defender monthly contributors play such a critical role:

Responding to any anti-gun threat at a moment's notice.

Provide the steady flow of resources needed to defeat gun control and muscle through pro-gun rights reforms.

Prepare for the 2020 elections to kick the anti-gunners out of office and put a pro-Second Amendment legislature back in place in the Minnesota House.
Second Amendment Defenders automatically receive a sustaining membership (a $75 value) to the MN Gun Owners Caucus and a special gift that we're finalizing now. It's a surprise!

I can't emphasize enough how important this new program is to our programs over the next two years - it provides a steady stream of resources that help us budget and make long-term plans for weeks and months at a time.

It lets us plan for an aggressive fight - and we're going to need that in 2019 and 2020 with this new legislative makeup.

The once a month commitment to the Second Amendment will serve as a reminder of your passion and commitment to protecting your constitutional rights in Saint Paul.

Will you please consider signing up as a SECOND AMENDMENT DEFENDER today -- even for just a $5 monthly commitment?

Please act right away!

Yours in Liberty,
Bryan Strawser
Chair

P.S.  If you're not already on board as a SECOND AMENDMENT DEFENDER, we need you to act right away. Even a $5 monthly commitment will go a long way towards our programs for the next two years.

Sent by Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, PO Box 131718, Saint Paul, MN 55113-0015, a Minnesota nonprofit & IRS 501(c)(4) organization.

This email was sent to ssssss. To stop receiving emails or to change your subscription, click here.
You can also keep up with Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus on Twitter or Facebook.

Edited to add hotlink
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyway we could get a list of all Republican state senators so we can fill there email boxes up?

Could get ahead of the curve before the session even starts .
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#2]
It's coming, and Walz is going to be pushing these attempts as Governor (that's not surprising to me, but here it is):

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/11/11/talking-points-tim-walz/
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyway we could get a list of all Republican state senators so we can fill there email boxes up?

Could get ahead of the curve before the session even starts .
View Quote
https://www.senate.mn/members/index.php?ls
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Doing my part.  Hopefully the Senate can stand tall and the out-state democrats won't fold.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:25:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:07:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but this state is past fixing. This election ensured enough imported votes to ensure the commies stay in power. They may not hold the Senate today, but they will soon, and Cali type idiocy will be upon us.
View Quote
I also fear the days of Republican being in power on a state-wide level is a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but this state is past fixing. This election ensured enough imported votes to ensure the commies stay in power. They may not hold the Senate today, but they will soon, and Cali type idiocy will be upon us.
View Quote
Ellison as AG will not be something we can vote our way out of. He's going to fundamentally change things during his tenure.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Having lived in cali not by choice for some years a long time ago I agree this is an extinction level event, outstate is irrelevant and when you put it the same leadership that lost AGAIN perhaps you should read a few more books on "leadership" Also quit having your elected serving candidates folding like cheap lawn chairs on important issues this years ticket was good never seen anybody at my house asking if I was going to vote (i did) but I cannot live here any longer taxes, regulation, the never ending refenderums I have had enough.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, where are you guys going?  The red states of Wisconsin, Florida, or Arizona?  You can't outrun this anymore.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Going to SD the tsunami of stupid from the incoming overlords will be monumental I grow weary of having the same battles over the same issues but the fight IS worthy, but I want to enjoy my life as I see fit exercise my rights as I want and keep more of the fruits of my labor. I don't want to pay more because they misuse and abuse the taxpayer dollar by reckless spending for failed programs be it IT, medical, energy, human services or regulatory I don't think it's up to the dfl to determine what I am "allowed" to have, nor what medical I can use.

I don't want to provide financial support for my opposition I grew up here and when I came back it wasn't this bad, but it's declining at a rate that's just unreal. I have to make a decision live under an authoritarian leftist state or enjoy my life, I did my time I am going to enjoy my life. Just what do I get for my taxes not much, not even a reach around. I don't get good roads in spite of dedicated funding for transportation, the schools should be exceptional but they are not, we as a state are not competitive with the surrounding states, major corporations have left for better business climates we are following california's lead look at them now.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Tagging in to follow
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I've already paid for my rights overseas, I'm not going to pay monetarily here for them as well. They can come and try to take my rights way from me should they choose to do so.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's coming, and Walz is going to be pushing these attempts as Governor (that's not surprising to me, but here it is):

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The governor-elect is also confident that under his leadership gun control measures can pass the legislature. In recent years, any attempt at new gun laws has failed to gain any traction at the Capitol.

Walz used to have an “A” rating from the NRA, but last fall after the Las Vegas massacre, he did a 180 on gun issues. Among the measures Walz now supports are background checks for private gun sales and a ban on assault weapons.
Game on.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Well said.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm not going to derail this further, because information about what's happening or going to happen on the state level is far more important, but my last comment on the "move to a free state" idea is this:

We're running out of free states.  The more patriots who elect to run to them, the faster the remaining sorta-free states will fall.  In a corollary to our conversation about third-party voting, one can try to find perfect or one can try to make the present, real imperfect more perfect.  The difference is that this battle of theoretic perfection versus practical imperfection isn't a matter of philosophy; it's the reality of the places in which we live, and every imperfect state we abandon becomes an increased force against the states which facilitate the values we embrace.

We can justify leaving behind the fight in many ways, but each we leave behind now is a fight more easily won than that which will come.  I don't believe this battle is one that will end, unless we lose.  The experience and commitment of those who have been involved before is invaluable.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch; be yours to hold it high...

There isn't a quota for involvement.  We don't reach a threshold by which we've defended liberty "enough."  The torch is not to be passed from tired hands or lazy hands, but from those that have exhausted their ability.  There isn't a one of us here who can't do more than we've already done, and we owe that to the legacy of our ancestors who endeavored to make this nation a place of freedom and to the promise that those freedoms will be in place for those to come.

There are plenty of people who can't just pick up and leave.  They deserve freedom and liberty and support in fighting that battle just as much as those of us fortunate enough to be able to jump ship.  The heritage of this country, this state, demands that we hold the line, even when the cause appears to be lost.

If you've reached the conclusion that it's time to strike camp, then go.  Know that the battle will continue, and know that if it doesn't stop here, it will find you.  If it doesn't find you, it will find our children, and the beast will have grown.  We have enough historical understanding today to understand the ramifications of kicking the can down the road.

There's more productive conversation to be had than arguing between people whose minds have already been settled.  If you're going, then go.  If you're waiting to go, then fight while you're here; worry about the going when you're ready to go.

If you're staying, then let it begin here.
View Quote
Well said.  I for one cannot just pick up and move.  And I would suspect most cannot do that.  It won't matter soon if everyone moves to a "free state" because federally things will change, we will have gun laws federally.  So no matter what you will have to fight no matter where you are at sooner or later, and you may as well do it sooner before there is more steam behind the anti-gun crowd.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Perhaps you aren't doing all you could, but that's ok -- everyone needs to be doing something.

With the rise of populist rhetoric we've seen, there are a lot of ways to be involved in politics that aren't running for office.  I'd even argue that some of them are more influential.

That being said, elected politics will only continue to become more and more of a wasteland as good men choose to avoid it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know,

I've though of getting into politics many times. I feel that if all I do is bitch and throw money at lobbyists, I'm not really doing ALL that I could.

But the shit-show of politics is so bad, I can't say I want to put myself into the public spotlight.
Perhaps you aren't doing all you could, but that's ok -- everyone needs to be doing something.

With the rise of populist rhetoric we've seen, there are a lot of ways to be involved in politics that aren't running for office.  I'd even argue that some of them are more influential.

That being said, elected politics will only continue to become more and more of a wasteland as good men choose to avoid it.
Very true

Not being politically active, where is the best bang for the buck as far as a monetary donation for gun rights in MN?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Very true

Not being politically active, where is the best bang for the buck as far as a monetary donation for gun rights in MN?
View Quote
MN Gun Owners Caucus.  https://www.gunowners.mn/
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:40:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I would add that we have to show up on the capitol during pertinent committee meetings and votes, as well as repeated, targeted emails and calls to the few "soft" republicans and few stronger pro 2A democrats.

Taking a note from prior conservative activists training, someone could send mailers/lit drop houses in solely the local neighborhood of those "soft" republicans to maintain pressure and instigate further support for 2A.

Anyone with previous history as a precinct chair or senate district chair would have been given a voter list of republicans nearby for targeted literature drop, using a mailer critical of their anti 2A actions.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ellison as AG will not be something we can vote our way out of. He's going to fundamentally change things during his tenure.
View Quote
Absolutely correct. That sharia law muslim will destroy the state. he's the final nail in the coffin.
What a nightmare!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The one thing Dems do well is organize. We are the side that collectively can't get out shit together.
View Quote
That's because the libs revel in their little bubble of supposed moral superiority and enjoy being loud and obnoxious while telling everyone else what to do.  Conservatives just want to be left alone so it takes a lot to get most of us mobilized to protest or support legislation.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

MN Gun Owners Caucus.  https://www.gunowners.mn/
View Quote
Ty
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:19:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is the equivalent of saying something obscene on here, but we would be wise to take some pages from the Democrats' playbook when it comes to grassroots activism.
View Quote
Agreed. I was at the capital back in late February/ early March when a bunch of gun control bills were supposed to be brought up in a committee. That was the first time I'd seen that kind of thing first-hand. One of the things that really stuck out to me was that they have that kind of activity down to a science. Even getting into the overflow room, they seemed to be following the same playbook.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I guess if you are going to flee Minnesota because Walz and Ellison won and the Dems took the house, well, see ya later.  For me, I am staying and continue to fight.

We were able to get pro-gun rights legislation passed when Republicans were in the minority in state government.  We don't need to control both houses, just one.  Right now, we hold the senate by one vote. Like last time, we will continue to beat gun control efforts  IF we stay organized and stay together.

I remember putting pressure on outstate Democratic Senators to vote no on gun control measures or face losing their seat in the next election.  Rural democrats MUST LISTEN to their constituents or lose their seat.  They are the ones to go after, threaten, persuade, goad, and force to vote down gun control legislation.  It has worked in the past, and it will work again.

If you haven't yet joined Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus (www.gunowners.mn) and/or donated to MN Gun Owners Political Action Committee  (www.mngopac.org)

DO IT NOW.  We will prevail if we organize, show up, and put our money where our mouth is.

Our ancestors didn't run at Concord Bridge. Don't you run from Minnesota.  It's worth fighting for. I refuse to become a felon in my own state for owning a legal firearm.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I also talked to our sheriff and later buttonholed one county commissioner at church.  I talked to both about our county becoming a "2A sanctuary county" if the gun-control nuts somehow manage to win out on the upcoming 2A rights fight.

The sheriff said he'd support it if the county residents wanted it.  The commissioner had heard of counties in Southern Illinois declaring themselves 2A sanctuary counties, and he liked the idea.

I'm thinking on a county-by-county basis, we could really embarrass the governor and legislature, AND actually be saved from automatically becoming felons if the "evil black gun" ban, confiscation, registration legislation would somehow pass.

And remember, a law that cannot be enforced is not a law at all.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I also talked to our sheriff and later buttonholed one county commissioner at church.  I talked to both about our county becoming a "2A sanctuary county" if the gun-control nuts somehow manage to win out on the upcoming 2A rights fight.

The sheriff said he'd support it if the county residents wanted it.  The commissioner had heard of counties in Southern Illinois declaring themselves 2A sanctuary counties, and he liked the idea.

I'm thinking on a county-by-county basis, we could really embarrass the governor and legislature, AND actually be saved from automatically becoming felons if the "evil black gun" ban, confiscation, registration legislation would somehow pass.

And remember, a law that cannot be enforced is not a law at all.  
View Quote
Can you describe what the sanctuary counties are avoiding? I'm intrigued and at the same time very skeptical.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Illegal immigrant sanctuary cities refuse to enforce federal or state laws that cause an arrest or even the hassle of illegals, right? 2A sanctuary cities and or counties do the same for gun owners, i.e, refuse to enforce anti-gun laws that  violate the Second Amendment. A example would be the sheriff’s office refusing to register AR rifles, not recognizing a  state law to confiscate and or arrest a person possessing a formerly legal purchased AR or firearm. State law cannot ursupt federal law and so on.  Ellison would be faced with trying to arrest an elected law enforcement official for not enforcing state law. Who would he send, the state patrol?  Let the fight began n in rural Minnesota. It would be a “ no-go zone” for Walz and Ellison.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Illegal immigrant sanctuary cities refuse to enforce federal or state laws that cause an arrest or even the hassle of illegals, right? 2A sanctuary cities and or counties do the same for gun owners, i.e, refuse to enforce anti-gun laws that  violate the Second Amendment. A example would be the sheriff’s office refusing to register AR rifles, not recognizing a  state law to confiscate and or arrest a person possessing a formerly legal purchased AR or firearm. State law cannot ursupt federal law and so on.  Ellison would be faced with trying to arrest an elected law enforcement official for not enforcing state law. Who would he send, the state patrol?  Let the fight began n in rural Minnesota. It would be a “ no-go zone” for Walz and Ellison.
View Quote
I'm all for it, I just don't see it happening.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks. I’m glad there’s a county precedent already. I think if the State decides to make owners of legally purchased and held firearms into felons, there will be a strong backlash in many counties in Minnesota.

Commissioners are just Local yokels like the rest of us. We buy gas from them, sit by them in church, go to the kid’s high school games with them, to get the idea.

All politics are local!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't see this sanctuary idea as all that useful.

A county sanctuary is only useful as long as that Sheriff, or one who agrees with it is in office.

What happens if you get pulled over by a State Trooper ?

MN Gun Owners Caucus was talking up the non-compliance of bump stock bans in Massachusetts, that's really great, and I applaude the civil disobedience, but do you really want a felony conviction over a bump stock?
And for those who didn't turn them in, are they still using them?  If not, what have you proven?  They still won.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I think bump stocks are the perfect firearm accessory for backyard-burial storage.
You can pretend to be cool and edgy by breaking the (anticipated) law, metal detectors won't find it when the cops show up, and they won't rust away when you forget to dig it up or the plastic bag you put it in leaks.

I've never owned one. No need to dig up my 200 ac. back yard.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#44]
If you're going to take a stand on something, bump stocks is likely not it.  Even most gun owners have a dim view of them, which is why none of the gun rights orgs are really spending any resources on fighting it.

Now if you want to take a stand on mag capacity or semi automatic weapons, those at least have a direct tie in to the second amendment.  You could argue that machine guns do as well, as they are in common use by regular soldiers, but they also don't have much support from civilian gun owners.  Although, I suspect if the SCOTUS ever shoots down mag and semi auto bans, they will likely get pressure to hear a MG ban case as well.

The dissent opinion in the recent 3rd circuit New Jersey mag capacity case is a very good read.  The Supreme Court is going to have to deal with this at some point.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/12/06/powerful-dissent-charges-judges-who-casu

The dissenting judge basically makes a great point by stating a 1 round magazine would be just as reasonable using their logic.

10 years after Heller, and governming bodies and courts are still acting like it doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#45]
The supreme court is gonna have to hear the challenge to mag bans and awb's at some point.

The left was so he'll bent on keeping Kavanaugh off the court for a reason, they are damn afraid what his stance could do to state level gun control.

If a case does have a chance going that high I hope a GoFundMe or some donation can be setup to help it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Bump

http://www.startribune.com/legislative-session-starts-tuesday/504050472/

Gun regulations are going to continue to be a point of contention this session.

Mom’s Demand Action of Minnesota began a day of lobbying at the Capitol with a news conference before a room of about 50 supporters wearing red T-shirts bearing the group’s logo.

“You have put us in a position to move legislation forward and to get legislation passed the floor of the Minnesota House of Representatives,” said Hortman, who said two of the top 10 bills the majority planned to introduce at the beginning of session included “common sense gun violence prevention measures.”

Bob Mokos, a member of the Everytown Survivor Network whose sister was shot and killed in Chicago in 1986, said this year’s statehouse is filled with many new legislators who ran vowing to toughen gun laws.

“I urge all of them now to push forward with urgency to require criminal background checks on all gun sales and to establish a red flag law,” Mokos said.

Senate Republicans, however, did not discuss guns when announcing their initial bills.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#47]
KSTP poll (on Facebook).

Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
KSTP poll (on Facebook).

View Quote
I'm not seeing the poll

Is it only on facebook?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I believe so. Just tap on the Yes or No box in the KSTP FB post to vote.

Have to be logged in to vote.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm not seeing the poll

Is it only on facebook?
View Quote
Yep, need to have FB.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top