Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2021 11:12:26 PM EDT
Tried to access the lyman pit today but the gate was shut. Went up to the snowmobile park pit next to baker lake. Ghost town.  No one there on a sat mid afternoon with perfect weather??? Figured either shooting ban or no one can afford ammo. Decided not to shoot as there was campfire and firworks ban signage up at the entry. Wasnt sure if that meant shooting too. Didnt want to have to answer to a sheriff.

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm  not sure about that area, but typically whens there's a burn ban shooting in the forest is not legal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:03:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I think Franz shut down all Eastern Wa DNR land to the public yesterday..

I dont recall the exact details, and really dont care, as I dont let it stop me.

I have no idea how far they have gone over here on the wet side yet..
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...there was campfire and fireworks ban signage up at the entry. Wasnt sure if that meant shooting too.
View Quote

Really?  
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, it wont be empty if you advertise the best shooting spot in the state......
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm  not sure about that area, but typically whens there's a burn ban shooting in the forest is not legal.
View Quote
Fed lands dont observe state bans I dont believe?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, it wont be empty if you advertise the best shooting spot in the state......
View Quote

Lol, dont worry, whtf traffic is damn near nill.

Thats an OK pit but I prefer the hamilton pit (when its empty) or spots off of south skagit hwy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Really?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...there was campfire and fireworks ban signage up at the entry. Wasnt sure if that meant shooting too.

Really?  

You asking about the campfire/fireworks signs or my thinking it means shooting too?

This is what was posted at the snomobile rd entrance

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

There was another similar posting at the road leading up to the pit.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#8]
They know what target shooting is, it's not a new thing they overlooked.  If shooting was prohibited the signs would say no shooting.  What's the sheriff going to do, arrest you for doing something not prohibited?  
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They know what target shooting is, it's not a new thing they overlooked.  If shooting was prohibited the signs would say no shooting.  What's the sheriff going to do, arrest you for doing something not prohibited?  
View Quote

Thats what I was thinking too but I didnt want to risk it. Ive only run into one sheriff and that was at the hamilton pit years ago. Didnt know I needed a discover pass because the damn sign is on the LEFT side of the entry road. He stopped me as I was driving in, let me leave with a warning, said if I was parked in the pit shooting he would have ticketed me. He wasn't a dick about it but I could tell he could turn into one at the drop of a hat.

My fear was running into sheriff that was having a bad day so I bailed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

That drive though...I haven't been up there at all this year.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it a DNR rule or a state/county law?

As in, does it apply to private land?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link to DNR Commissioner's Order

Not sure how to imbed a pdf.  Let's see if this works:

As mentioned several posts up, discharging of firearms is not specifically mentioned.

I am not a lawyer, so you will have to rely on your own interpretation.

HTH

Edit:  bloody bugger it didn't work...
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I stopped by the forest office Friday, they said no restrictions they are aware of for shooting.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That drive though...I haven't been up there at all this year.
View Quote
I headed up two weeks ago to sight in my thermal. Pit was empty in the mid morning, which surprised the hell out of me
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to wonder how banning recreational shooting would prevent fires. Then yesterday a group of idiots up near darrington decided to shoot clays using dragonsbreath rounds. Only the lack of any wind and a quick fire/dnr response kept the fire under an acre.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I used to wonder how banning recreational shooting would prevent fires. Then yesterday a group of idiots up near darrington decided to shoot clays using dragonsbreath rounds. Only the lack of any wind and a quick fire/dnr response kept the fire under an acre.
View Quote

Steel core / steel jacketed ammo puts on quite a spark show when it hits rocks.
Some 'tards shoot incendiary ammo too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The only time Ive witnessed a fire started from gunfire was on the range at Ft Stewart. We were firing tracers every 5th round in the M60. Fire ensued down range. It was a hot/dry day. Other than that Ive never seen or concerned myself with the possibility of starting a fire from shooting ball ammo. But being older and wiser (aka: OCD) and having more to lose by inadvertantly causing a wildfire, I err on the side caution these days. Start a fire in the woods and get jammed up for it you can consider your life over because they'll hang you out to dry.

Quoted:
I stopped by the forest office Friday, they said no restrictions they are aware of for shooting.

Cool, thanks for checking!
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Gifford Pinchot NF has been closed to shooting (and camp fires) since July 2nd. Camped twice since then and ignored it. If they can't bother to post any signs (only signs posted are about the fire ban), I can't be bothered to care. We shoot suppressed subsonics the whole time so we're not bothering others or attracting attention.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Industrial Fire Precaution Level

Check out this link, it will tell you fire precaution level on a day to day basis. It's it has different layers to make it easier to zoom in and find specific locations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top