Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/27/2020 8:48:53 AM EDT
? 18.2-308.2:5. Criminal history record information check required to sell firearm; penalty.

A. No person shall sell a firearm for money, goods, services or anything else of value unless he has obtained verification from a licensed dealer in firearms that information on the prospective purchaser has been submitted for a criminal history record information check as set out in ? 18.2-308.2:2 and that a determination has been received from the Department of State Police that the prospective purchaser is not prohibited under state or federal law from possessing a firearm or such sale is specifically exempted by state or federal law. The Department of State Police shall provide a means by which sellers may obtain from designated licensed dealers the approval or denial of firearm transfer requests, based on criminal history record information checks. The processes established shall conform to the provisions of ? 18.2-308.2:2, and the definitions and provisions of ? 18.2-308.2:2 regarding criminal history record information checks shall apply to this section mutatis mutandis. The designated dealer shall collect and disseminate the fees prescribed in ? 18.2-308.2:2 as required by that section. The dealer may charge and retain an additional fee not to exceed $15 for obtaining a criminal history record information check on behalf of a seller.

B. Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection A and unless otherwise prohibited by state or federal law, a person may sell a firearm to another person if:

1. The sale of a firearm is to an authorized representative of the Commonwealth or any subdivision thereof as part of an authorized voluntary gun buy-back or give-back program; or

2. The sale occurs at a firearms show, as defined in ? 54.1-4200, and the seller has received a determination from the Department of State Police that the purchaser is not prohibited under state or federal law from possessing a firearm in accordance with ? 54.1-4201.2.

C. Any person who willfully and intentionally sells a firearm to another person without obtaining verification in accordance with this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

D. Any person who willfully and intentionally purchases a firearm from another person without obtaining verification in accordance with this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
View Quote

VCDL analysis:

SUMMARY OF THE LAW AS PASSED:

Private sales, where a gun is sold in exchange for money, goods, services, or anything of value, must go through a background check effective July 1.  A gun given as a gift with nothing in return, or loaned to someone, does not require a background check.  For a sale, the buyer and purchaser must go to a gun dealer, or, at a gun show, the Virginia State Police background-check table, and have the transfer and background check completed.  The gun dealer can only charge $15 for the transfer, maximum.  That limitation could make it hard to find a dealer willing to do the transfer, as they usually get $25 and up currently.

NOTES:

1. A person under 21 and over 18 will only be able to receive a handgun if they are given that handgun as a bonafide gift.  They willl not be able purchase a handgun from anyone because federal law prohibits gun dealers from transferring a handgun to anyone under 21.  Private sales of handguns to those under 21 is allowed currently, but after July 1 dealers have to do the transfer, closing that avenue.

2. You might want to consider doing a private sale or purchase at a gun show using the Virginia State Police (VSP) to do the background check.  When the VSP do the background check, they don't record the make, model, and serial number of the firearm, unlike sales through gun dealers, who have to do so.  Also, unlike gun dealers who can decide not to do any private transfers, the VSP has to do them at gun shows.

3. The original bill required a background check on gifts to non-immediate family, a gun loaned to someone unless the loan was temporary and the gun owner was continually present near the firearm.  So, loaning a gun to someone if you weren't with them the whole time would have required a background check on them before you loaned the gun, and on you when they gave the gun back.  A violation for the seller would have been a Class 6 felony and a Class 1 misdemeanor for the purchaser.

The final bill requires a background check only to the sale of a firearm, with a violation being a Class 1 misdemeanor for the seller and purchaser.
View Quote

I'm a simple-minded guy, and can't make much sense of legal mumbo-jumbo most of the time...but in regards to the above in Red and Blue , does this mean a person could sell someone a keychain for, say, $500, and then gift them a gun after the original transaction for the keychain is done?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#1]
How’s that work out for prostitutes selling condoms?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Last time I checked the current situation in D.C is that weed is not legal to sell. But it is legal to gift. So you purchase a plastic bag for $100, and you get a gift of weed. It sounds like what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
They did not include the term "barter" in the law - would have been simple to include it.

There seems to be a legal difference.  Sales Distinguished From Barter

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say it's the same concept as money laundering. Trying to sell something with the intention of it being a high markup in order to conceal what you're really selling. I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is this will not uphold in any sort of criminal court if both party knew they're buying the value d item and "gifted" a gun of proportional value. Sort of like you know by itself, you'd never pay $500 dollars for a paper bag unless you knew it contained a firearm, etc. I imagine if you could prove that you constantly buy empty $500 paper bags for whatever reason and the one time you bought an empty bag you got a free gun that might work but it's a bit far fetched.

However, I think by definition you'd be violating federal laws if you were buying a gun to gift someone else. I wonder if by this alone could this be ruled unconstitutional since it is a direct violation of federal laws? You say on the form that you're buying it for the intention of using it yourself, technically you're not supposed to give it to anyone else to use. So the reality is you never intended to gift it but perhaps you need to hand the firearms off to someone for purposes you could not foresee (death, moving to a retirement home, etc).
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
However, I think by definition you'd be violating federal laws if you were buying a gun to gift someone else.
View Quote

Firearms are regularly and legitimately gifted on a 4473. See the instructions for Question 11.a:

A person is also the actual transferee/buyer if he/she is legitimately purchasing the firearm as a bona fide gift for a third party. A gift is not bona fide if another person offered or gave the person completing this form money, service(s), or item(s) of value to acquire the firearm for him/her, or if the other person is prohibited by law from receiving or possessing the firearm.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd say it's the same concept as money laundering. Trying to sell something with the intention of it being a high markup in order to conceal what you're really selling. I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is this will not uphold in any sort of criminal court if both party knew they're buying the value d item and "gifted" a gun of proportional value. Sort of like you know by itself, you'd never pay $500 dollars for a paper bag unless you knew it contained a firearm, etc. I imagine if you could prove that you constantly buy empty $500 paper bags for whatever reason and the one time you bought an empty bag you got a free gun that might work but it's a bit far fetched.

However, I think by definition you'd be violating federal laws if you were buying a gun to gift someone else. I wonder if by this alone could this be ruled unconstitutional since it is a direct violation of federal laws? You say on the form that you're buying it for the intention of using it yourself, technically you're not supposed to give it to anyone else to use. So the reality is you never intended to gift it but perhaps you need to hand the firearms off to someone for purposes you could not foresee (death, moving to a retirement home, etc).
View Quote

Although it is a violation of the "straw man" provision to buy a gun with the intent to give it to someone else IF THAT PERSON IS PROHIBITED FROM BUYING THE GUN HIMSELF. It is not a violation, however, to buy a gun to use as a bonafide gift. I have worked in a gun store for the past 12 1/2 years, and have sold many guns to wives / girlfriends / parents / and others who were buying the guns as Christmas or birthday gifts. The first question on the 4473 form asks if the buyer is purchasing the gun for his or her own use. In the directions on the back of the form, it states that using the gun as a bonafide gift is considered to be a lawful use.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They did not include the term "barter" in the law - would have been simple to include it.

There seems to be a legal difference.  Sales Distinguished From Barter

View Quote

That would fall under "goods, services, or anything else of value".

In short, no, legitimate gift/loan or CHP is the only way around this law, unless you're willing to be a test case for overturning it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Although it is a violation of the "straw man" provision to buy a gun with the intent to give it to someone else IF THAT PERSON IS PROHIBITED FROM BUYING THE GUN HIMSELF.
View Quote

The purpose of a straw purchase is to conceal the identity of the true buyer/recipient of the firearm, whether that person is prohibited or not.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks all.  I think I will give this a few months after it goes into effect and see what people are *actually* doing.  

Quoted:

In short, no, legitimate gift/loan or CHP is the only way around this law, unless you're willing to be a test case for overturning it.
View Quote

The only 'test case' I'm going to be is for the SWAT team if they ever come for me
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like language was intended to not cover inheritance.  Read literally, gifts not covered either.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks all.  I think I will give this a few months after it goes into effect and see what people are *actually* doing.  

The only 'test case' I'm going to be is for the SWAT team if they ever come for me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most people will follow the law.
There will be those who don't know about the law.
There will be those who say fuck the law.
The majority will follow it.
Did Coonman get his monies for his gun task force? Will be interesting to see the sting operations not in the shithole areas of Richmond where you know, the crime is, but in the rural counties.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is no CHP exception in the UBC bill.

There is one in the one-gun-a-month law.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#13]
It would seem difficult to enforce as there is no paper keeping requirement.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

My guess is there will be highly publicized stings. Unless they do a registration, as you said, fear is the only motivator they have in enforcing the law.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Strangers will follow this law. Friends will not.

Not will those already buying guns on the street corner in the hood.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My guess is there will be highly publicized stings. Unless they do a registration, as you said, fear is the only motivator they have in enforcing the law.
View Quote

From what I understand is that the penalty is a Class 1 misdemeanor, which according to the law book is punishment up to a year in jail and/or a $2500 fine. That's sort of hard to publish in any great effect.

No they're going to need a frequent seller like that one dude who recently got busted on the VA gun trader website. That way they can bust them with a double whammy and get the desired effect by obscuring the real reason he's going to prison for so long and paying way more in fines.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

From what I understand is that the penalty is a Class 1 misdemeanor, which according to the law book is punishment up to a year in jail and/or a $2500 fine. That's sort of hard to publish in any great effect.

No they're going to need a frequent seller like that one dude who recently got busted on the VA gun trader website. That way they can bust them with a double whammy and get the desired effect by obscuring the real reason he's going to prison for so long and paying way more in fines.
View Quote

I didn't hear about that. What's that all about?

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

My guess you will fillout the SP-65 and then it would be called in. If that's the way it will happen, FFL's turn those in at the end of the week...so there is "some" paper work.  My question and I haven't been able to find an answer...what happens during a delayed response...I get the call back, sometimes within a couple minutes and some a couple days.  Who holds the gun?  If it's me it has to be logged in then back out and that is not happening for $15.

I see every gun from now on being sold with an Uncle Mike's holster...I have this here Uncle Mike's holster that fits a S&W MP 5" and others, although in this picture you see a Glock 17...$500
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:

From what I understand is that the penalty is a Class 1 misdemeanor, which according to the law book is punishment up to a year in jail and/or a $2500 fine. That's sort of hard to publish in any great effect.

No they're going to need a frequent seller like that one dude who recently got busted on the VA gun trader website. That way they can bust them with a double whammy and get the desired effect by obscuring the real reason he's going to prison for so long and paying way more in fines.
View Quote

Link to info on the VA guntrader case?

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By stone-age:
Last time I checked the current situation in D.C is that weed is not legal to sell. But it is legal to gift. So you purchase a plastic bag for $100, and you get a gift of weed. It sounds like what you are talking about.
View Quote

I believe this is the answer we all seek.  Look at it this way:

- the new law is clearly an “infringement;”

- as an infringement, this new law is unconstitutional, unlawful, illegal, wrong - all of these.  This infringement is:  as obviously wrong as slavery or segregation / Jim Crow laws (and as MLK said: it’s not just acceptable to resist such laws, it is a moral obligation)

- as a practical matter: look at DC:  they “legalized” marijuana (in spite of the federal Controlled Substances Act) but then Congress made it illegal to “sell” marijuana in DC.  Whatever means the people of DC are using (ie - a simple bag) is what we must do - what we are morally obligated to do - to get around this infringement.

- as for “a bag” - I am usually given a simple paper bag when I buy a can of beer or bottle of wine.  Why? To conceal it in public, of course, and it’s common to drink in the street from a paper bag - so there’s no “probable cause” and the arrest is supposed to get tossed in court).

So I am not seeing any legal problem in selling a paper bag for $400, but “giving” the Glock inside away to a fellow Virginian.  Remember - in 90+ of VA’s 95 counties, this law is completely invalid anyway.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:
Here are the procedures to facilitate private sales: https://www.atf.gov/file/110076/download. Keep in mind the $15 is the maximum you can charge for the background check, the transfer fee is not affected.

The FFL receives a "Delayed" response from NICS.
The private party seller has two options: 

- He or she can leave with the firearm, if the private party seller has not left the firearm in the exclusive possession of the FFL. in this case, the FFL does not need to record the firearm in its a&d record. However,
if the sale later occurs (because the FFL receives a "proceed" response from NICS or three business daysor the appropriate state waiting periodhave passed) the private party seller must return to the business premises of the FFL to complete the transfer to the buyer. At that time, the FFL will need to record the transaction as an acquisition from the private party seller in its a&d records and record the disposition to the buyer no later than seven days following the transaction.

- He or she can allow the FFL to keep the firearm at the business pending a response from nicS or until three business days (or the appropriate state waiting period if more than three business days) has passed with no response. in this case, the FFL has to take the firearm into inventory and record it as an acquisition from the private party seller in its a&d records. if NICS later issues a "proceed" response, or no response after three business days (or the appropriate state waiting period if more than three business days) and the FFl decides to go forward with the transfer, the seller does not need to return to the premises to complete the transfer. the FFL will complete the transfer of the firearm to the buyer and record the disposition to the buyer in its a&d record no later than seven days following the transaction.
View Quote

This is confusing - are you saying any delay requires the dealer take the firearm into possession, thus creating a record? FUCK that. The ONLY good thing about this law was it was a check, not a fucking transfer on the books.  What if the delay is like 2-30mins or whatever like they always are?

I get delayed every time for 10-30 mins.

EVERY time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't see in the law where the firearm has to be transferred through the FFL dealer. Only the background check is required.

Are you saying an FFL dealer is going to charge a transfer fee on top of the background check?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By beastfrog:
I don't see in the law where the firearm has to be transferred through the FFL dealer. Only the background check is required.

Are you saying an FFL dealer is going to charge a transfer fee on top of the background check?
View Quote

If only the background check is required, why doesn't the VSP set up a policy that these checks can be done at VSP area offices?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#28]
The new law does not apply in sanctuary counties.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#30]
It's not Virginia law, it's federal law. If a dealer facilitates a transfer between two parties, it must be recorded in the dealer's log and a 4473 must be completed.  Dealers already charge a fee on top of the background fee.
View Quote

I don't read it that way.

The dealer is simple doing the background check as mandated by VA state law. Same way VSP currently does private background checks at shows (for $2 I might add). VA did not mandate that the dealer do the transfer. Only that a background check be made.

Predict this will end up a big mess.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#32]
@HansohnBrothers, how will VSP conduct the check? Won’t they have at least a simple form so they can read the buyer’s and seller’s information? And if they have even the simplest of forms, won’t they keep that record?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I am entirely serious.

Plus, even outside the sanctuary counties:

- the law clearly doesn’t apply to a “free gift.”

Therefore, it is entirely within the new Virginia law to SELL a pistol box for $500,  the recipient gets a free gift:  the pistol.  

Again:  I am not kidding.  

This exact scenario is used in DC to sell federally-banned marijuana. Openly.

Comply with the democrats new law.  Just do it the right way:  sell something for $$, and the sold item comes with a “free gift.”
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm good with that, I'm only outlining what the dealers have to comply with.  The sanctuary thing, while I support it, carries absolutely no legal weight.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
Plus, even outside the sanctuary counties:

- the law clearly doesn't apply to a "free gift."

Therefore, it is entirely within the new Virginia law to SELL a pistol box for $500,  the recipient gets a free gift:  the pistol.  

Again:  I am not kidding.  

This exact scenario is used in DC to sell federally-banned marijuana. Openly.

Comply with the democrats new law.  Just do it the right way:  sell something for $$, and the sold item comes with a "free gift."
I'm good with that, I'm only outlining what the dealers have to comply with.  The sanctuary thing, while I support it, carries absolutely no legal weight.

Also, it’s not likely to be local LE that will be the concerns of anyone who gets looked at for this sort of thing.  This will likely be VSPs province if they get involved.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm assuming VSP will use the VCheck website.  VSP keeps those on file for no longer than 30 days but dealers are required to keep the form for 2 years.  ATF keeps the background check records for 48 hours, IIRC.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lexington:
@HansohnBrothers, how will VSP conduct the check? Won't they have at least a simple form so they can read the buyer's and seller's information? And if they have even the simplest of forms, won't they keep that record?
I'm assuming VSP will use the VCheck website.  VSP keeps those on file for no longer than 30 days but dealers are required to keep the form for 2 years.  ATF keeps the background check records for 48 hours, IIRC.

Thanks for the info. My cynical self thinks VSP will keep the records longer than technically allowed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Plus, even outside the sanctuary counties:

- the law clearly doesn't apply to a "free gift."

Therefore, it is entirely within the new Virginia law to SELL a pistol box for $500,  the recipient gets a free gift:  the pistol.  

Again:  I am not kidding.  

This exact scenario is used in DC to sell federally-banned marijuana. Openly.

Comply with the democrats new law.  Just do it the right way:  sell something for $$, and the sold item comes with a "free gift."

I agree with Hanson Brothers.  Y’all are good people & it’s abundantly clear to me you’re on our side.

I will add:

- Hanson relies on (and requires) a Federally-issued FFL to be there for us.  On top of all the fed requirements, they have state law to worry about - and a violation of either set of laws could jeopardize their business.  Please understand the situation FFLs have been put in here.  Same with the FFLs in other states:  they are victims of over-zealous democrats.  The FFL holders are not the enemy.

We citizens, however, retain our rights.  Follow the law, and be smart about it.  Gifts are not prohibited.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#39]

I believe this is the answer we all seek.  Look at it this way:

- the new law is clearly an “infringement;” 

- as an infringement, this new law is unconstitutional, unlawful, illegal, wrong - all of these.  This infringement is:  as obviously wrong as slavery or segregation / Jim Crow laws (and as MLK said: it’s not just acceptable to resist such laws, it is a moral obligation)

- as a practical matter: look at DC:  they “legalized” marijuana (in spite of the federal Controlled Substances Act) but then Congress made it illegal to “sell” marijuana in DC.  Whatever means the people of DC are using (ie - a simple bag) is what we must do - what we are morally obligated to do - to get around this infringement.

- as for “a bag” - I am usually given a simple paper bag when I buy a can of beer or bottle of wine.  Why? To conceal it in public, of course, and it’s common to drink in the street from a paper bag - so there’s no “probable cause” and the arrest is supposed to get tossed in court). 

So I am not seeing any legal problem in selling a paper bag for $400, but “giving” the Glock inside away to a fellow Virginian.  Remember - in 90+ of VA’s 95 counties, this law is completely invalid anyway.

View Quote

I'm with you.  

This BS is obviously a severe infringement on my 2A rights.  These new laws are illegal, and we need to stop bending over and taking it dry...we need mass non-compliance.  What we need is the police to ignore their dental plan for a minute, and stop enforcing these tyrannical "laws"...and follow the oath they swore to.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#40]
FFLs cannot perform background checks without a 4473.  The Commonwealth has no authority to change that.  If you don't want to fill out a 4473, you will have to go to VSP for the background check.

From the ATF:
"FFL-facilitated sales between private individuals are subject to the same rules and regulations as any other sale conducted by the FFL. In all cases, the prospective buyer must complete Section A of the Firearms Transaction Record, ATF Form 4473. The FFL must complete section B of the ATF Form 4473."

Also see the below references:
Recordkeeping and Background Check Procedure for Facilitation of Private Party Firearms Transfers.
Open letter to all FFLs 2013-1
View Quote

Thank you for that explanation. Appreciated.

Sadly, Virginia is not the state I moved to 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Link to info on the VA guntrader case?

View Quote

Sorry didn't see your post. Here's the vaguntrader case: https://www.pilotonline.com/news/crime/article_82cf9f7a-3ea1-11e9-9b4e-4f7805b7d9d7.html

I now remember more details now that I looked it up. The guy was given every benefit of doubt by the ATF agent and was told to just stop and walk away with no charges or anything, yet he just continued to do it then the ATF went all out with the charges. As a side note, I did went to the MCX listed in the story and remember they had some really sweat deals. Went in there recently and saw some really good stuff for well below the market price. So I can see how this is tempting for military folks low on cash.

But it's people like this that they're going to bust and drop the book on that person. That way they can make sure they can parade this person around and show legal citizens that they're out to get them. But keep in mind you won't get into THAT much trouble by forgetting the UBC laws, so they really need to have someone like this to make it really stand out and scary.

Also keep in mind, I don't think the ATF will be involved with these cases. It will be up to the VSP to enforce the local state laws, so it might be worse for folks as they are under funding restrictions and threat of being cut off if they don't enforce laws. So they might not be as forgiving as the ATF would be.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Meh.

Penelty is a misdemeanor, I will just add that to the other misdemeanors that register a zero.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Thank you for that explanation. Appreciated. 

Sadly, Virginia is not the state I moved to 30 years ago.
View All Quotes
FFLs cannot perform background checks without a 4473.  The Commonwealth has no authority to change that.  If you don't want to fill out a 4473, you will have to go to VSP for the background check.

From the ATF:
"FFL-facilitated sales between private individuals are subject to the same rules and regulations as any other sale conducted by the FFL. In all cases, the prospective buyer must complete Section A of the Firearms Transaction Record, ATF Form 4473. The FFL must complete section B of the ATF Form 4473."

Also see the below references:
Recordkeeping and Background Check Procedure for Facilitation of Private Party Firearms Transfers.
Open letter to all FFLs 2013-1

Thank you for that explanation. Appreciated. 

Sadly, Virginia is not the state I moved to 30 years ago.

I was born and raised here 60 years ago.
I am NOT pleased.

The DUMBS are running wild.

panDEMic.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By m4hk33:
Meh.

Penalty is a misdemeanor, I will just add that to the other misdemeanors that register a zero.
View Quote

A Class 1 misdemeanor is right on the hairy edge of being prohibited federally, but not quite over the line.

Virginia § 18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

From ATF Form 4473:

c. Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony, or any other crime for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation? (See Instructions for Question 11.c.)
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A Class 1 misdemeanor is right on the hairy edge of being prohibited federally, but not quite over the line.

Virginia  18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

From ATF Form 4473:

c. Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony, or any other crime for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation? (See Instructions for Question 11.c.)
View Quote
Wouldn't that still pose difficulties for folks whose job requires a clearance?  Been a long while since I've filled out that form, but I thought there were questions about those sort of things?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
Wouldn't that still pose difficulties for folks whose job requires a clearance?  Been a long while since I've filled out that form, but I thought there were questions about those sort of things?
View All Quotes

A Class 1 misdemeanor is right on the hairy edge of being prohibited federally, but not quite over the line.

Virginia  18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

From ATF Form 4473:

c. Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony, or any other crime for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation? (See Instructions for Question 11.c.)
Wouldn't that still pose difficulties for folks whose job requires a clearance?  Been a long while since I've filled out that form, but I thought there were questions about those sort of things?

I do believe you are correct about that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm a simple-minded guy, and can't make much sense of legal mumbo-jumbo most of the time...but in regards to the above in Red and Blue , does this mean a person could sell someone a keychain for, say, $500, and then gift them a gun after the original transaction for the keychain is done?
View Quote

So what happens when you buy a keychain for $500, and there is no gift in return?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:
So what happens when you buy a keychain for $500, and there is no gift in return?
View Quote

BRB, ordering a pallet of keychains from aliexpress

One weird trick, gun owners hate it!

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Tyro:

BRB, ordering a pallet of keychains from aliexpress

One weird trick, gun owners hate it!

View Quote

You know it will happen, and it won’t end well!
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#50]

I do believe you are correct about that.
View All Quotes

A Class 1 misdemeanor is right on the hairy edge of being prohibited federally, but not quite over the line.

Virginia  18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

From ATF Form 4473:

c. Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony, or any other crime for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation? (See Instructions for Question 11.c.)

I do believe you are correct about that.

SF-86 Questionnaire for National Security Positions.
And for TS//SCI the 'owner' of the Compartment (FBI, NSA, CIA, NRO, DOE, etc) will do some checks of their own.

At some point some climbing Commonwealth's Attorney is going to call you transaction fraudulent and take you into State Court.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top