Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2021 1:46:30 PM EDT
I am referring to the type where you show up, load up, shoot, and go.

No open and close times, no fees, just public land you can shoot on.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a range operated by the state east of Ocala in the National Forest. IIRC it's off FR 11 which is old FR88 which is off SR40.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ocala/recarea/?recid=40236

It can get crowded, it can have unsafe shooters, it can have self-appointed Range Nazis, it can have old fuckers scurrying at your feet to pick up each and every piece of brass that leaves your firearm, it can also have sketchy looking folks. But it's free.

The best times to go are the first few hours of daylight or the last couple hours of daylight.

If you use the facility, I highly recommend you 1) take someone with you; 2) only remove from your LOCKED vehicle one gun at a time to shoot; and 3) make sure someone stays at the bench with your gear when you go downrange to post/check targets.

Other than that, I'm unaware of any other places that are open to the public and free.

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Heres a Link to FWC ranges in Florida.

Unsure about fees as I’be never been to one
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
45-50yrs ago I could have pointed you to several - but they're now all subdivisions, schools and shopping malls.  

Ain't progress great....  
View Quote

Thank you everyone for the responses.

Yeah progress does suck.  Born and raised in Florida, it sucks to see it all turn to cookie  cutter communities popping up where the land was just land.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is a range operated by the state east of Ocala in the National Forest. IIRC it's off FR 11 which is old FR88 which is off SR40.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ocala/recarea/?recid=40236

It can get crowded, it can have unsafe shooters, it can have self-appointed Range Nazis, it can have old fuckers scurrying at your feet to pick up each and every piece of brass that leaves your firearm, it can also have sketchy looking folks. But it's free.

The best times to go are the first few hours of daylight or the last couple hours of daylight.

If you use the facility, I highly recommend you 1) take someone with you; 2) only remove from your LOCKED vehicle one gun at a time to shoot; and 3) make sure someone stays at the bench with your gear when you go downrange to post/check targets.

Other than that, I'm unaware of any other places that are open to the public and free.

View Quote

Thanks for the info.  Seem like a um... fun place to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.  Seem like a um... fun place to shoot.
View Quote

Considering the ammo situation, the place might not be seeing much activity.

Honestly, it's not a bad place to go shoot just keep in mind it's semi-secluded. If I didn't have a place to shoot I'd still go there, just really early or really late and with a friend who appreciates situational awareness.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Honestly, it's not a bad place to go shoot just keep in mind it's semi-secluded. If I didn't have a place to shoot I'd still go there, just really early or really late and with a friend who appreciates situational awareness.
View Quote

I was there last Saturday mid-afternoon. There were 3 cars in the parking lot, total of 4 people on the range.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a deputy that works the area where the ONF Range is located there can be sketchy people at the range. Watch your stuff like the plague.  I’ve worked a few gun thefts there. I will pull up while on duty in my patrol car and watch the people watching me. I only shoot there when the range is empty.

Dam
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am straight to there from rt44. Some weekdays are desolate but occasionally see some shady or dangerously dumb shooters. Personally I pay at Volusia Cty Gun Club.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Second what everyone’s said about the ONF range. I stopped going there about 12 years ago when I was changing a target on the left side of the berm and some guy started shooting on the right side.

“You’re all the way over there!!”

I considered calling PD but just got out of there instead.

I would not go alone and I would make sure whoever is at the firing line is not afraid to tell people to stay the FUCK away from their firearms.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Second what everyone’s said about the ONF range. I stopped going there about 12 years ago when I was changing a target on the left side of the berm and some guy started shooting on the right side.

“You’re all the way over there!!”

I considered calling PD but just got out of there instead.

I would not go alone and I would make sure whoever is at the firing line is not afraid to tell people to stay the FUCK away from their firearms.
View Quote

I had a similar encounter at the Apalachicola NF range.  I was behind the line, but somebody else (who WAS taking their sweet time) was downrange, and someone decided to go ahead on the pistol range. There is a wall there, but it was sketchy, and my experience has always been that the whole range goes cold.  I was watching the people on the rifle range to make sure they didn't start up without paying attention, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top