Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2020 9:09:16 AM EDT
It seems it is not news anymore.  If you have any local news about the shooter that would be welcome also.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess its not even making the local news.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems to have just dropped off the map.....
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
And it looks like the charges are back.....

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Steven Ray Baca is once again charged in the shooting of a demonstrator at a protest last month.

Baca, 31, had been charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon after video showed him shooting and critically injuring Scott Williams, who had been protesting for the removal of the Juan De Oñate statue from the Albuquerque Museum on June 15.

However, a couple of days after Baca was arrested, District Attorney Raúl Torrez announced he was dropping the charge related to the shooting due to flaws in the initial investigation by the Albuquerque Police Department. The case was turned over to the New Mexico State Police.

Baca was charged instead with one count of aggravated battery, two counts of misdemeanor battery against other protesters and carrying a firearm without a concealed carry permit.

At a news conference on Monday, Torrez announced his office has amended the charging document once more and Baca is again charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.
View Quote

https://www.abqjournal.com/1475487/charges-refiled-against-baca-in-protest-shooting.html
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And it looks like the charges are back.....

https://www.abqjournal.com/1475487/charges-refiled-against-baca-in-protest-shooting.html
View Quote

Sounds like we're about to find out if justice & truth are still alive.

How will a jury of his peers see this incident?

May you live in interesting times. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't see much happening on the news for this case since August.  Any local info.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Not a whole lot going on in the case.  There is a pretrial conference set for April.  The only mildly interesting thing that took place is that all the firearms seized from other individuals on the evening of the shooting, have been ordered to be released to their owners.  I'm sure some would have assumed those firearms would have never been released by Albuquerque Police Department.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#10]
He could probably use assistance. Michelle Malkin () did a telethon for him.
#MalkinLive: SPECIAL TELETHON FOR STEVEN BACA
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not a whole lot going on in the case.  There is a pretrial conference set for April.  The only mildly interesting thing that took place is that all the firearms seized from other individuals on the evening of the shooting, have been ordered to be released to their owners.  I'm sure some would have assumed those firearms would have never been released by Albuquerque Police Department.
View Quote

That is interesting.  I assume they kept the pistol from the good guy/ shooter.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 7:49:40 AM EDT
[#12]
bump
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Not much new going on.  Trial has been pushed back until October.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not much new going on.  Trial has been pushed back until October.
View Quote

That should be interesting..

Being i think the shooter was in the right.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump

Kyle is free, how goes it there.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bump

View Quote

This is the land of manana.

What do YOU think?
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What do YOU think?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bump

What do YOU think?

Mainly interested in the shooterSteven Ray Baca  I feel he was Justified and should get off.  New Mexico for all its good points is going the wrong political way.  
So I am out of the loop.  I don’t know what to think.
My county in Texas went liberal commie in the last election so I would hate to face a grand jury here in a justified shooting but better here than New Mexico.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Case has gone oddly quiet.  Deadlines were set in late April, but nothing has happened since.  All the deadlines have passed.  It was anticipated trial would begin in October.  Not surprising that did not happen, but it is surprising all the deadlines passed without an extension being filed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Any news?
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Case continues to not have much movement.  There is an ongoing dispute regarding some subpoenas defense counsel served on City employees with no direct knowledge of the incident.  But not much going on in the case.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#21]
THANKS
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Still not much going on in the case.  A scheduling conference is set for October 19.  So new deadlines will be set at that point.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Still not much going on in the case.  A scheduling conference is set for October 19.  So new deadlines will be set at that point.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Over two years and still no resolution.
Remind me to never get in a situation where I have to pull a trigger
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Trial set for 8 days, starting June 20, 2023.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Trial set for 8 days, starting June 20, 2023.
View Quote

Thanks

That will be three years
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Didn’t that POS Albuquerque prosecutor just win State AG?
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Don’t know but sounds right.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#29]
A little weirdness the past couple days.  On May 22, the Court set a hearing for May 24 for a change of plea.  Usually means Defendant is going to plead guilty or no contest.  But the change of plea hearing got cancelled today and has not been rescheduled, as of now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A little weirdness the past couple days.  On May 22, the Court set a hearing for May 24 for a change of plea.  Usually means Defendant is going to plead guilty or no contest.  But the change of plea hearing got cancelled today and has not been rescheduled, as of now.
View Quote

Thanks for the update.  Of course, I think he was innocent. Any news on the guy that got shot?
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Bump.

Anything new on this case?
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes in for info
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Steven Baca pled no contest to Aggravated Battery, a misdemeanor.  He also pled guilty to unlawful carrying of a deadly firearm, a petty misdemeanor, and he pled guilty to Battery, a petty misdemeanor.  Sentencing is set for September 6.  There was no sentencing agreement between DA and Mr. Baca.  Total max sentence is 2 years, less one day.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Steven Baca pled no contest to Aggravated Battery, a misdemeanor.  He also pled guilty to unlawful carrying of a deadly firearm, a petty misdemeanor, and he pled guilty to Battery, a petty misdemeanor.  Sentencing is set for September 6.  There was no sentencing agreement between DA and Mr. Baca.  Total max sentence is 2 years, less one day.
View Quote

I guess he will be going to jail then. With no sentencing agreement they will go for the max
I thought he had a CCL.
I guess he is lucky

Thank you for the update.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#35]
The longer this takes the better i guess

Oñate monument shooter delays sentencing to November - Austin Fisher, Source New Mexico

The 2020 Oñate monument shooter will get to experience at least one more New Mexico autumn before he faces any accountability from the criminal legal system.

Video taken on June 15, 2020 shows Steven Ray Baca pushing a woman from behind to the ground, injuring her legs; macing a man in the face; pushing a second woman to the ground, injuring her head; and finally shooting a second man four times in the back at close range with a .40-caliber handgun.

The shooting ended a protest on that day at the statue called La Jornada that depicts Spanish colonizer Juan de Oñate called across from Tiguex Park in Albuquerque’s Old Town neighborhood.

Baca, 34, was supposed to appear in court in downtown Albuquerque on Wednesday to receive his sentence from Second Judicial District Judge Brett Loveless. The judge could have put him in prison for almost two years, the maximum sentence under the plea deal Baca made in June 2023.

Over the long Labor Day weekend, Baca’s attorneys managed to convince Loveless to delay the sentencing hearing until Nov. 1.

Through his attorneys Jason Bowles and Diego Esquibel, Baca on Sunday asked the court to push the hearing back.

His defense team wrote that it had not received a “probation report,” and he “needs additional time to gather additional character letters.”

David Foster, the special prosecutor assigned to the case by Bernalillo County District Attorney Sam Bregman, took no position on Baca’s request.

Citing Foster’s lack of a position, Judge Loveless on Monday granted Baca’s request.

Baca has a pending plea deal with Foster which could result in probation, or land him in prison for two years minus one day.

His plea agreement dropped the charge of aggravated battery causing great bodily harm for the shooting. He pleaded no contest to aggravated battery, and pleaded guilty to battery and unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon.

Source New Mexico’s National Editor Marisa Demarco did not assign, discuss or edit this story due to a conflict-of-interest concern.

Link Posted: 11/8/2023 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I have not seen the actual documents, but it appears Steven Baca was sentenced to 2 years' probation, anger management classes and community service.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have not seen the actual documents, but it appears Steven Baca was sentenced to 2 years' probation, anger management classes and community service.
View Quote

I guess that is a felony?

Any news on the guy he shot?

Those four two or three that were beating his ass with a skate board should be in anger management class too.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#38]
It could have been worse.  He was in the wrong for throwing those women down but as for the shooting I think he was Justified.
He was standing up to Marxist, communist, antifa type thugs.  Thank God he did not have a Jan6 judge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top