Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2020 8:45:37 AM EDT
Usually tuck my reciepts in the manual then keep it in the original case for safekeeping.

Was curious the other day about when exactly I bought a particular pistol. So I dug out the reciept and the damn ink was unreadable! Wtf?! Stupid ink they use deteriates over time it seems. Checked a few others and some were fine, others faded and unreadable too.

These were bought within the last 10yrs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If you know/remember the dealer you purchased from, they should have it in their A&D logs. If they have electronic logs, they should be able to search by SN and find disposition data.

If the FFL has paper logs, I don't know how well that would go over...
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Ask the state, they have a registration of firearms.  They know what you have and when you bought it.  Makes confiscation so much easier.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dar48:
If you know/remember the dealer you purchased from, they should have it in their A&D logs. If they have electronic logs, they should be able to search by SN and find disposition data.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dar48:
If you know/remember the dealer you purchased from, they should have it in their A&D logs. If they have electronic logs, they should be able to search by SN and find disposition data.

Yep, I know where they were bought from. I'll ask them. Thanks!

Originally Posted By SUVDRVR:
Ask the state, they have a registration of firearms.  They know what you have and when you bought it.  Makes confiscation so much easier.

Yeah yeah..... I didnt see that coming at all when I posted

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Usually tuck my reciepts in the manual then keep it in the original case for safekeeping.

Was curious the other day about when exactly I bought a particular pistol. So I dug out the reciept and the damn ink was unreadable! Wtf?! Stupid ink they use deteriates over time it seems. Checked a few others and some were fine, others faded and unreadable too.

These were bought within the last 10yrs.
View Quote

The majority of receipts are printed on thermal paper. Unfortunately, the receipt itself can be impacted by certain environmental factors and receipts can fade over time. There are ways to restore it, but i haven't tried them before. If you really want to preserve a receipt, then the best option is to either scan it or take a photocopy of it.

If you know the shop that you bought it from, ask them as they should have an A&D record for it. I would never ask the state for the records.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Any pistol purchased in Washington over the past several decades through a ffl dealer comes up for an individual when run by 911 during a call. Had a girlfriend 911 operator years ago and she showed me on a visit one time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By nec3394:
Any pistol purchased in Washington over the past several decades through a ffl dealer comes up for an individual when run by 911 during a call. Had a girlfriend 911 operator years ago and she showed me on a visit one time.
View Quote

@R-32
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#7]
You can request records for your handgun purchases through DOL.   So records from the point of sale through an FFL.  

Firearms records certification request
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

@R-32
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Boomer:
Originally Posted By nec3394:
Any pistol purchased in Washington over the past several decades through a ffl dealer comes up for an individual when run by 911 during a call. Had a girlfriend 911 operator years ago and she showed me on a visit one time.

@R-32

Correct.

We run a new system called New World for our dispatch software.

If you have a CPL you will have a box that shows up orange, and from there if we want to dig into your CPL info, It will list handguns, and now your long guns that DOL enter into the system.

If you dont have a CPL we can run you on a mask that just looks at guns in your name.

I only own 3

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By R-32:

Correct.

We run a new system called New World for our dispatch software.

If you have a CPL you will have a box that shows up orange, and from there if we want to dig into your CPL info, It will list handguns, and now your long guns that DOL enter into the system.

If you dont have a CPL we can run you on a mask that just looks at guns in your name.

I only own 3 

View Quote

Now what if you don't put your CPL on the FTA? Would it still show up if you were to search by the CPL #? Just curious since a lot of guys aren't even putting their CPL on the FTA when purchasing since it really doesn't help much.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By R-32:

Correct.

We run a new system called New World for our dispatch software.

If you have a CPL you will have a box that shows up orange, and from there if we want to dig into your CPL info, It will list handguns, and now your long guns that DOL enter into the system.

If you dont have a CPL we can run you on a mask that just looks at guns in your name.

I only own 3 

View Quote

That’s when you run someone’s ID correct? Or can it pull the registered owner of a cars license plate?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Pothole:

That’s when you run someone’s ID correct? Or can it pull the registered owner of a cars license plate?
View Quote

Yup,

I.D.

just running a plate is not a deep enough search at that point.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By firepyro515:

Now what if you don't put your CPL on the FTA? Would it still show up if you were to search by the CPL #? Just curious since a lot of guys aren't even putting their CPL on the FTA when purchasing since it really doesn't help much.
View Quote

If we run your CPL, and it was submitted to DOL, and DOL entered it..

Yes, it will show up.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If we run your CPL, and it was submitted to DOL, and DOL entered it..

Yes, it will show up.
View Quote
Rifles pre 1639 don't just, pistols transferred.
Some people have very long lists.  I forgot if the firearms disposition form actually took them out of one's name.  I think I did that once..

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:50:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I was aware the State could view your CPL info, but I thought records were required to be disposed of after a period of time. Guess I was wrong. Makes me consider thinking twice before calling 911 when the alarm goes off at night, as I live in Seattle. Who knows what mindset will arrive on scene to "rescue" me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Feds are not"supposed" to keep records of firearms.  WA state does what ever they want.  Background check for each firearm purchased, if it was a background check on the individual,  the firearm s/n wouldn't be relevant.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Call the dealer & have them look it up.

Had to do that once before when a gun was stolen, to get the S/N for the cops.

Which was a good thing, because they eventually recovered the gun and (after calling them to ask about it, finding out they had it but didn't know it was stolen, and a bunch of other wild-goose-chasing) I eventually got it back.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#17]
You can contact the dealer.. but I don't think they would be willing to search years of records just for your purchase.. assuming they sell a lot of firearms.
You might offer to pay for the information if they refuse to look for it.

Contacting the DOL seems like a better idea since all records had to recorded by the DOL.  I didn't know they could do that until now..
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You can contact the dealer.. but I don't think they would be willing to search years of records just for your purchase.. assuming they sell a lot of firearms.
You might offer to pay for the information if they refuse to look for it.

Contacting the DOL seems like a better idea since all records had to recorded by the DOL.  I didn't know they could do that until now..
View Quote

It depends on the dealer. If the dealer still does paper bound books, then it will be a pain in the butt. If the dealer has everything electronic, then it would probably take a couple seconds to find the information.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:08:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It depends on the dealer. If the dealer still does paper bound books, then it will be a pain in the butt. If the dealer has everything electronic, then it would probably take a couple seconds to find the information.
View Quote

I know, but back then there was less choices for electronic bound books.. in fact 10 years ago, I don't think they approved electronic bound books.. I want to say 2016 was the year electronic bound books were allowed.

Definitely doesn't hurt for him to ask, but I was definitely referring to bound books record search.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:29:55 AM EDT
[#20]
How far back do state handgun records go?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:51:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I know, but back then there was less choices for electronic bound books.. in fact 10 years ago, I don't think they approved electronic bound books.. I want to say 2016 was the year electronic bound books were allowed.

Definitely doesn't hurt for him to ask, but I was definitely referring to bound books record search.
View Quote

Yeah, it depends on the shop. I know the one I was working at in 2009 had everything electronic. Back then you had to get a variance to use software for your A&D records.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top