Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2019 12:51:09 PM EDT
At the gun range the other day an RO told me the mag ban was back on and all mags with capacity over 10 are once again illegal.

Is this correct?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The possession ban is still enjoined. The ban on transfer/axquisition/importation/etc. has the injunction against it stayed pending appeal, so it remains enforceable. Some PDs may still try to take your stuff, anyways, but most, I think, know it'd be a bad move on their part.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The possession ban is still enjoined. The ban on transfer/axquisition/importation/etc. has the injunction against it stayed pending appeal, so it remains enforceable. Some PDs may still try to take your stuff, anyways, but most, I think, know it'd be a bad move on their part.
View Quote
OK, that's what I thought. The RO was confused.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
During that special week I gave my kids co-owner rights to all my magazines
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#4]
CA DOJ & CHP just recently caught a guy driving back into CA from a Reno gun show with some magazines.

They fucked him with a capital F.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Ah!, that special week!

I bought and took delivery of a bunch of standard capacity AR magazines.

I bought a high cap that will likely never get used because it is for my bolt action rifle.  <-- 20 rounds of bolt action joy!
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a taxpayer-funded boondoggle to me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Too late to say FDOJ and FCHP on this one?

Feels like there's been plenty of times other than this where that sentiment was rightfully applied.

Oh well. The barbecue will happen once the hold is lifted and the case is closed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#11]
What is the time frame for this to be resolved?  How long does the DOJ have to appeal?

Kevdog
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure.  I believe all the paperwork so to speak, is done for the 9th. circuit but no one expects anything to happen there for a while.  My understanding is that it is waiting for the Supreme Court to deal (or not) with a New York case.  I believe the 9th case would be heard in about a year?  Didn't find anything real definitive on searching.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I don't know what the current court schedule is with respect to hearing the case.  Whoever loses at the 9th will likely appeal and try to get the case heard en banc.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:37:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Very little.

And call me suspicious but ten agents all day out-of-state to bust one guy ... sure sounds like a propaganda/news opportunity designed to strike fear in American citizens.
View Quote
^^^^ Exactly this.

The news article on this arrest is dated 10/25/2019.

The stake out and arrest involving this case occurred in 2014.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

^^^^ Exactly this.

The news article on this arrest is dated 10/25/2019.

The stake out and arrest involving this case occurred in 2014.
View Quote
Well, now many people in CA legally own 30 round PMAGs. It is understandable they would want to put out word we shouldn't be bringing more in from out of state. After all, as long as the "made on" date isn't offensive, there is no way to tell a Freedom Week 30 round PMAG from any other PMAG.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah, I don't know what the current court schedule is with respect to hearing the case.  Whoever loses at the 9th will likely appeal and try to get the case heard en banc.
View Quote
One wonders if CA would appeal to the supremes if they lose en banc at the 9th.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I expect both sides to continue appeals.  The legal positioning put forth by Judge Benitez, I'm sure, strikes fear in the hearts of the "antis."  The state position/law burdens the exercise of a right and there is also, now, no demonstrable positive result from that burdening.  Magazines flooded into the state and there is no measurable impact on crime.

Although I expect both sides to continue appeals, I think there would be less impact for the antis to drop the process and allow magazine possession than to potentially lose, solidify the legal position from Judge Benitez and add precedent.  Much like New York changed laws to try to moot out their case.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 1:05:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
The CO SC just heard arguments about the magazine ban here so their decision will be appealed to the 10th circuit. It would be an interesting game of chicken for the gun grabbers if one circuit court upholds the ban and the other strikes it down.

Do they take the loss to the SC in hopes of locking down both jurisdictions and possibly the country or do they eat the split decision and give back some ground?
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is an interesting question, and the circuit court is a lot different then it was at the start of this case, I would argue if they lose with a 3 judge panel they might not want to even risk en banc.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Seen it discussed that anti-gunners might decide that Ca backing down is a better result for them than creating a "precedent" that may change the whole circuit and/or lead to Supreme Court pounding down mag restrictions - and it's ripples - for the whole US.  Of course, that could be just wishful thinking.  I don't see other state anti-gun pols being happy with trying to push an idea that Ca backed off on.  So, they may push Ca to fight it all the way.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#21]
We will know a lot more after the hearings on the NY case at SCOTUS. If they come across weak, it will inboldin the gun grabbers, I hope they kick the gun grabbers asses.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:53:47 PM EDT
[#22]
The Supremes may or may not signal displeasure with the Dem's letter.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It is an interesting question, and the circuit court is a lot different then it was at the start of this case, I would argue if they lose with a 3 judge panel they might not want to even risk en banc.
View Quote
I'm not sure losing en banc would be worse for them, if they already lost to a 3 judge panel. Either applies to the 9th.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top