Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/20/2021 10:45:31 PM EDT
I don't have a CCW permit. I know ammo or loaded mags needs to be in a separate closed enclosure/compartment when driving. I don't leave mags inserted in my semi-auto rifles or handguns when driving anyway but now more and more bolt guns with detachable magazines, do I need to remove empty magazine from a bolt gun and keep in a separate closed enclosure when driving? I only have fixed box magazine bolt guns until couple years ago. Read the 2923.16, seems empty mag in a rifle still meets "unloaded".
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I leave the gun shop with newly purchased handguns with the empty mag inserted usually so I hope this isn't a law.

I think loaded mags should be kept separate in a trunk or not accessible without exiting the vehicle. In the winter I want to load a bunch of mags before I go to the range and separate but I'm not sure if that's legal or not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#2]
As the first reply stated, I think we have all done that.

Unloaded mag is unloaded.

Either you or the officer would need to be a turbo douche for them to pop you on that. Even then I think it would get tossed out.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#3]
The law only seems to concern itself with loaded magazines. I'd imagine no LEO is going to be overly concerned with an unloaded weapon, unless he's got it in for you and looking to jack you up for anything he might get away with. Even in that situation, I'd imagine most city prosecutors aren't going to pursue that by itself.

In most normal encounters with law enforcement, it should be a non-issue.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, thanks. I googled, seems like some states may have an issue even with empty mag inserted in a gun when driving. I figure it may get LEO nervous when seeing a gun with a mag inserted. I don't leave mag in a gun and my guns are in trunk, "locked" compartments or bags when driving but I forgot to remove mags from bolt guns a few times, too used to fixed box mag bolt guns!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Are loaded mags allowed now? Of course separate and in a legal way you would travel with ammo.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Get your CHL
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get your CHL
View Quote

Definitely solves a lot of issues but I'm still wondering about the laws as far as transport as far as loading mags up prior.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get your CHL
View Quote

Can you transport a loaded rifle then? I need to get mine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Can you transport a loaded rifle then? I need to get mine.
View Quote

No you can not!  you can have loaded mags in the same part of the vehicle but the rifle cannot be loaded..
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No you can not!  you can have loaded mags in the same part of the vehicle but the rifle cannot be loaded..
View Quote

*Laughs in AR pistol.*
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

That doesn't seem different enough to even have a separate law. I was more interested for long guns without a removable mag.

Quoted:

*Laughs in AR pistol.*
View Quote

As long as we keep our braces.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As long as we keep our braces.
View Quote

I was hoping they just removed the entire SBR thing off the NFA but I'm not holding my breath. Having a CHL and not having to separate ammo is definitely less of a pain.

I know Ohio was one of the state's that said no to loaded mags but I heard that it changed. If the ammo is separate now I think that's all that matters but I wouldn't keep empty mags in a rifle on transport at least on a the average AR/AK type rifles.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I put my AR in a rifle bag, loaded mags in pouches on front of bag. For a class I take a ammo can full of loaded mags. Being able to have the mags inside the bag with rifle is not much better.
If you want to use a 30-30 or 870 as a truck / trunk gun then loading is going to be slow. This is the PIA with OH law.

Before the mags had to be in complete separate compartment of vehicle or some such crap.

ETA: IN does not restrict loaded long guns in vehicles. I live near state line and lived there for 23 years.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#16]

The mag on many rifles in not detachable. How do you store it in a separate compartment, you can't. So those rifles are worthless in a vehicle because they take minutes instead of seconds to load.

This is a law that encourages having an AR in your vehicle vs a Fudd gun. Funny how ironic that is.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#17]
No CCW permit?

Pistols- unloaded, slide lock open, zip tie thru the magwell, EMPTY mag next to it. All  visible. OR.... completely unloaded in a locked case, unreachable by the driver

Rifle- unloaded, in a case, no loaded mags

OR don't do stupid shit and get pulled over. Lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#18]
From the prior link....

For someone who does not have a Concealed Handgun License, that person may have loaded magazines or speed loaders in the vehicle so long as:

The magazine or speed loader does not fit any firearm being transported in the vehicle; OR

The magazine or speed loader is in a compartment reachable only by leaving the vehicle; OR

The magazine or speed loader is in a closed package, box or case that has multiple compartments (i.e. a gun case) as long as the magazine or speed loader is in a separate compartment in the closed package, box or case from the firearm, OR,

if the closed package, box or case only has one compartment, the magazine or firearm is separately enclosed in something using a snap, buckle, zipper, button, hook and loop etc. (My best stab at this is it is a one compartment gun case, the gun or the magazine/speed loader would need to be in some sort of pouch that is closed.); OR

The magazine or speed loader is on the person of the occupant in a pocket that is closed using a snap, buckle, zipper, button or hook and loop.

For someone with a CHL, they may have a loaded magazine in the vehicle anyway they wish, so long as any magazine for a non-handgun is not inserted into the non-handgun. (i.e. a loaded rifle magazine may be anywhere in the vehicle as long as it isn’t inserted into the rifle.)
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#19]
ORC 2923.16 (K) (5)[/b]

(a) "Unloaded" means, with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question, and one of the following applies:

(i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question.

(ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.

View Quote

Pretty sure this was one of the smaller changes they made a while back so when you bring your new pistol home with two magazines in the box your first action as a new first time gun owner was not transporting a firearm illegally.

Technically, by the letter of the code it is fine, assuming you don't have loaded magazines elsewhere.
If it is in a case I doubt a LOE is even going to blink twice, if it is in plain sight might get a bit of flack about it.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top