Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2021 2:07:50 PM EDT
I was in 10Ring 30 minutes ago and heard this then split.

Customer brings items to the counter, clerk rings them up and says "there's been a price increase but we haven't gotten around to changing the tags". Buyer says loudly "bullshit, the law says you have to honor the marked price!"

Voices got louder so I split since it was crowded and tempers seemed to be rising.

I've seen this kind of crap there before so I think I'm done with them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Had something similar happen.  Was looking at a rifle on a new gun rack, and questioned the clerk about the price.  He insisted the tag was valid.  Then when I went to pick it up/do the 4473 I was told the price was several hundred dollars more.  In the end the tag price WAS honored.

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure if they have to do so, but they won't likely get it away with it for too long before they go under or notice a big bottom line decrease. Especially in the age of social media.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
There are no laws in Texas that require a seller to honor a marked price. There are some laws about deceptive trade practices in regards to pricing but having a mismarked price (real or claimed) isn't going to fall under anything like false advertising that people usually try to claim.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Mistakes happen. If a business is consistently marking things lower, in some attempt to get people to bring it to a counter and hopefully get more money out of them that's obviously morally wrong. Giant corporations with advanced systems for managing all this crap get less empathy from me.

If a small business just accidentally had the wrong tag on an item, or said tag was incorrect I think basic human decency would just have people accept that "oh the business made a mistake". But everyone seems to somehow make themselves feel personally slighted because they worked themselves up into a giddy that they were about to get away with getting an item at a lower price, along with their walk to the counter and the minutes of crucial time invested only to be told "No."

It's like those threads where an item is very clearly priced incorrectly on a website and everyone piles on to order it, when it is very clearly incorrect, then throw a fit when their order is cancelled. A business should be no more obligated to sell to you, than you to buy from them, and that works all the way up until money is transferred for goods or services.

Maybe I'm just jaded, maybe it's years of the ridiculous phrase "the customer is always right", or maybe the prominence of Mega-Corporations constantly attempting to screw over the consumer has really led to this mentality, but everyone walks around with a chip on their shoulder and like they are owed something.

That being said, Customer Service is never a bad thing, and provided they aren't going to lose their ass on honoring the price, it isn't the worst idea to at least consider it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#5]
<---Safeway Stores clerk in HS and college.
In the days before bar codes and scanners nearly every item in a store had a label. It wasn't unusual to see someone use their fingernail to peel up a label on a cheaper item and swap it on a higher priced item. That didn't happen when we marked inventory with the old technology, ink stamps. Progress.

"OOPS we forgot to put the new price tag on that gun" is a shitty business practice.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<---Safeway Stores clerk in HS and college.
In the days before bar codes and scanners nearly every item in a store had a label. It wasn't unusual to see someone use their fingernail to peel up a label on a cheaper item and swap it on a higher priced item. That didn't happen when we marked inventory with the old technology, ink stamps. Progress.

"OOPS we forgot to put the new price tag on that gun" is a shitty business practice.

View Quote

Or just bring their own label gun!

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was in 10Ring 30 minutes ago and heard this then split.

Customer brings items to the counter, clerk rings them up and says "there's been a price increase but we haven't gotten around to changing the tags". Buyer says loudly "bullshit, the law says you have to honor the marked price!"

Voices got louder so I split since it was crowded and tempers seemed to be rising.

I've seen this kind of crap there before so I think I'm done with them.
View Quote

No law in honor marked price.  Some business with honor price mistakes, but not in my AO.  The hood rats are know for changing price tags and trying to get higher priced items for next to nothing.  Coupled with the DA not really prosecuting those crimes, you can see where this is going.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Call Texas Attorney General on that shop for "Disaster Price Gouging" ...

Not just because of the Great Ice-Pocalypse, but the Biden Administration is one huge ongoing disaster for us!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone remember the thread where an ARFcommer bought a gun at BigTown and later Jeff Schramm called him to bring it back and accused him of swapping price tags?

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone remember the thread where an ARFcommer bought a gun at BigTown and later Jeff Schramm called him to bring it back and accused him of swapping price tags?

View Quote

On a related note, Schramm sold a gun to me at a mismarked price that was probably $50-100 less that he intended to have it marked at that particular show.  He noticed the mistake at the time and wasn't happy about it, but he let it go at the marked price without any drama.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#11]
/\ Better treatment than I go from Bev & Steve at Big Town. I agreed to buy a 590 they had priced $XXX and when it got to 4473 time Bev grabbed it and said nope, wrong price. Then seemed pissed I took my half completed form with me after telling her that was a shitty way to treat a buyer. I left shortly thereafter and bought one in the parking lot for less than what the new one was AND no tax.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top