Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 3/17/2020 11:45:04 PM EDT
Not trying to start rumors or fear monger just asking if anyone else is hearing something similar.

Got a call a few minutes ago that the “rumor” is that Gov. Reynolds is going to go a step further and put Iowa into lockdown.

Supposed to be call up the NG in the next 48 hours.

Not sure what to make of it.  Second hand info from a colleague that works in DC.  She is hitting the road to VA because the same is expected in DC.

If that happens I really do not know what is going on.  I cannot understand.  Is this more deadly than ebola?

We had 5 cases in the metro, 1 case locally a week ago and 1 today across the river and both cases caught it from out of state.  1 of the other 2 cases left the hospital today, 16 year old, but the other 36 YO female is in the ICU in critical still.  The other case I do not know where they are ie home or hospital.

This whole thing just really is hard to understand what is happening and why.  5 cases in a metro of around 1 million people and we are one step from martial law?  Things just are not adding up for me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:02:15 AM EDT
[#1]
NG has already been called up.  It really wouldn’t surprise me to lock it down as best they can. I did go through my go-bag though and restocked it.  I am waiting for them to say schools out till summer break interesting times we live in.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I would guess that any NG called up are for logistics and medical assistance. I highly doubt there will be a lock down. We are nowhere near Frisco or Italy and their problems. Just go on about what you need to do and use a little common sense in the process.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't lose sight of the fact that those 5 positive tests are just among those who've actually been tested for COVID-19. How many people do you know that have been tested? Personally, I've yet to hear of anyone in my various circles who's gotten a test.

Then factor in that the virus allegedly doesn't show symptoms early on, i.e. you can be contagious and not know it. This compounds the problem.

You have people who may be infected, have no idea they're infected, yet still going about their business interacting with people, not washing their hands frequently, etc. etc. unknowingly spreading their COVID cooties all over the place. Fast forward two weeks, they suddenly find themselves down with the sickness with God knows how many people they've interacted with not far behind them.

So if 5 people tested positive, ask yourself how many people have they crossed paths with in the last two weeks before that initial person had any clue they were infected?

Point being, it's here. That's a proven fact. It's being spread around as we speak. Positive test numbers should be viewed as the canary in the coal mine, they're an indicator, nothing more. The best defense at this point is to limit your exposure/interactions. Sucks, but that's reality at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I work in Wisconsin. I expect our plant will close down soon after all the auto mfrs close up. And I wouldn't be surprised to see the bridge at Marquette shut down to interstate travel. It will disrupt the economy of NE Iowa a lot. I head in tonight for our scheduled week on, I'm repacking my bag today. In case I end up across the river unplanned.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Well the good news so far is, no lock down.

Additional good news is the Reynold's got Iowa declared a economic disaster so you can now apply to the SBA for low rate 20 years loan up to $2 million so if you are a business owner you can visit : https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/ and make application.  Loans are direct so you don't need to go to your bank.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
lots of paranoia out there...  so far the exec branch has done pretty well all things considered.

i'm none to concerned about the major stuff at the moment.  the messed up part is, if we were all hyper diligent over the next three weeks, we could wipe this sucker out and go back to being ignorant and silly.  for now we'll just have to settle for paranoid, ignorant, and silly.  

...oh and without any ammo or guns or TP or food to buy for a long time.  #crazytalk
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm more concerned with how people are going to act as rumors keep flying than I am about any disease. Hell, the idea of a rabies outbreak scares me more than this virus does(less likely to affect me, but much more likely to kill if it does)-but we've let it take over our lives.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#8]
This has been an eye opener; to see how people on my locale react to the hype of a pandemic, as it's not even yet running rampant.

It brings home how even more desperate will become when something else (or this) should actually develope.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Watch KWWL comments during any of the news conferences and you'll quickly realize just how many people actually WANT a lockdown, etc. The panic is epic I swear.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I am on day 17 with my two boys.  Still about 95% there but tough at times. Still shopping for a new rifle but my neighbor brought over a CZ550 .308 that he wanted to sell.  So maybe?
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#11]
It would seem that with Illinois, now Wisconsin, I assume if Minnesota goes Iowa won’t have much of a chance to hold out.

Talked to my friend that is a VA doc and he said it’s the real deal, potential lack of health services is the main concern as this virus uses the cells in the lungs to replicate, then your body attacks the lungs to fight it off escalating the problem.

He thought it would peak 3 weeks from now.  That’s what he is being told.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#12]
My guess is 1 - 2 weeks from now we'll be in a lockdown situation. Most of the states around us are doing it already so it's inevitable. Fortunately, we're considered essential but being the new guy I'm first in line if enough people stop ordering and need to scale back.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Does the Iowa government (or the federal  government for that matter) even have the authority to put us in "lock down"?  and if they do what parameters need to be met in order for them to do so? And than assuming they do have legal authority to do so what punishments would an offender face? I am reading through the IA Constitution and so far have come up short. Although I'm not super good at legal jargon. So it would be easy for me to miss.

For the record, I believe it is probably a good idea to make an attempt not to spread the virus. The problem I have is when we may be given an "order" that would actually be unlawful under very clear established US constitutional law. Thinking mostly of the bill of rights here.

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#14]
It wouldn't be in the constitution. You will have to find it in an official document about disasters, emergencies etc. Most states have them and yes it is deemed legal.

If it doesnt specifically give you the right to disobey a lockdown order in the constitution, or have anything in it pertaining to that, or close to, a lock down would not be unconstitutional.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top