Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 6/3/2022 9:33:02 AM EDT
Hello, just wondering if anyone has ever gotten a speeding ticket in Iowa and then later had it dismissed after paying prosecution costs and having no more tickets after a year or so.

This was in Monroe County and it seems like in Iowa, speeding is a "simple misdemeanor" so an actual crime with potential jail time.

And if you're going to post the "stop breaking the law A**hole" meme, well, yeah yeah, I know.

:)
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope.  At least not without going the lawyer route which will cost more than the ticket.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#2]
That is pretty common if you have a clean record and the speed was not over the top.  You pay court cost, king gets his cut, you dont get the ding on your record and just stay away from other tickets in the next 12 months and you are all good.  They dont want to go to court any more than you do.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope.  At least not without going the lawyer route which will cost more than the ticket.
View Quote

I think you're right.

The prosecutor said I have to appear. A 10 hour drive round trip for something that could be handled over email.

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think you're right.

The prosecutor said I have to appear. A 10 hour drive round trip for something that could be handled over email.

View Quote

Some charges are mandatory appearances.  Like 25 plus over or driving under suspension or an expired license.  It's Iowa's way of getting a pound of flesh without really getting a pound of flesh.  As in YOU WILL BE HERE kind of thing.  The judge wants to talk to you and not your lawyer.

kwg
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Why. Don’t you call the court clerk and ask your options letting them know you are out of state and gas costs driving 10 hours would be cruel and unusual punishment.  Ask what your options are. I doubt they would extradite you from another state over traffic but they may have some alternative.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why. Don’t you call the court clerk and ask your options letting them know you are out of state and gas costs driving 10 hours would be cruel and unusual punishment.  Ask what your options are. I doubt they would extradite you from another state over traffic but they may have some alternative.
View Quote

I did call today (Friday, July 1). Options were to pay it online or appear in person. Apparently they don't do Zoom or telephone hearings like courts in Minnesota do.

Since I really wasn't looking forward to driving 5 hours there and 5 hours back (to be there July 5th at 9:00 AM) to try and *maybe* get 20 bucks knocked off. I just went online and paid it.

So that's that.

P.S. I really hope Floyd of Rosedale stays in Minnesota this year.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I was really surprised when I moved here how many cops there are in Iowa out running traffic. I never saw that in Illinois.

I had one pull up along side me recently on a four lane section of highway 30 and motion to me that 72 in a 65 was too fast.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top