Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 11/27/2017 5:40:40 PM EDT
The Iowa Department of Public Safety says the death is being investigated as a homicide.
The suspect(s) are still at large. They say the suspect(s) should be considered armed and dangerous.

Be careful out there this hunting season, there are bad guys where you least expect it.
If you got a PTC, then start carrying when you hunt.

http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Eastern-Iowa-hunter-found-dead-460150873.html
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Working in the area. All around Rathbun lake. Will keep my head on a swivel.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Can’t say I have ever hunted, but what are the rules on carrying while hunting? I know part of last years bill was to allow bow hunters to carry. Does that apply to any of the gun seasons?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can’t say I have ever hunted, but what are the rules on carrying while hunting? I know part of last years bill was to allow bow hunters to carry. Does that apply to any of the gun seasons?
View Quote
If you have a Permit to Carry, then you can carry while bow hunting.  I believe you can also carry during the gun seasons as long as the handgun meets the DNR approved caliber for deer hunting.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you have a Permit to Carry, then you can carry while bow hunting.  I believe you can also carry during the gun seasons as long as the handgun meets the DNR approved caliber for deer hunting.
View Quote
So I read through the regulation PDF at the DNR website and picked up a printed copy from Sportsmans.  They were less than helpful. Is there a link to the complete regulations some where?  What I read made it sound like only Deer and Turkey had restrictions on what weapons I can use to to hunt them. Also since so many seasons overlap with deer why couldn't I carry a shotgun or rifle for deer, and then say a 9mm handgun for rabbit,squirrel or even coyote. Is there something saying I may only hunt one species at a time?

ETA

So what where to happen if I were to want to shoot some squirrel this weekend and went out with just a 22lr pistol, could some overzealous DNR officer ticket me for deer hunting with the wrong weapon?  Squirrel season runs through January.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So I read through the regulation PDF at the DNR website and picked up a printed copy from Sportsmans.  They were less than helpful. Is there a link to the complete regulations some where?  What I read made it sound like only Deer and Turkey had restrictions on what weapons I can use to to hunt them. Also since so many seasons overlap with deer why couldn't I carry a shotgun or rifle for deer, and then say a 9mm handgun for rabbit,squirrel or even coyote. Is there something saying I may only hunt one species at a time?

ETA

So what where to happen if I were to want to shoot some squirrel this weekend and went out with just a 22lr pistol, could some overzealous DNR officer ticket me for deer hunting with the wrong weapon?  Squirrel season runs through January.
View Quote
Good question, I would assume it is up to the discretion of the DNR officer.  You may want to write a letter to the DNR and get them to clarify in writing.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I fired off a quick email to the DNR, guess I'll see what they say. Also @spetic-tank13 I have a feeling you may know something about this. Besides bow season, what are the rules about carrying a sidearm while hunting?
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
While hunting dear during shotgun season am I legally allowed to carry a pistol not chambered in an approved deer caliber?  Assuming I have a valid permit to carry.
View Quote
Yes, with a valid permit to carry you can legally carry your pistol while shotgun hunting.
View Quote
That’s the response the DNR sent me this morning.  Seems like for once they aren’t being to difficult.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That’s the response the DNR sent me this morning.  Seems like for once they aren’t being to difficult.
View Quote
A remarkably clear and prompt response from DNR.  I would be suspicious.   Very suspicious.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
You can legally carry during the upcoming gun seasons for personal protection as long as you have a permit to carry.
According to the bureau chief I spoke to this afternoon, caliber and barrel length make no difference as long as the handgun is not used to take a deer.
He stated that the DNR should be putting out a news release shortly clarifying this for the public.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 2:29:37 AM EDT
[#10]
This has been a big area of confusion.
I know you can carry a sidearm for personal protection of any caliber concealed or open as long as you aren't hunting with it.
I am reluctant to carry my g17 because of it, same with my 1911 because they could say I'm hunting with it and can't have it loaded in the car.

The problem seems to be dnr officers with power trips.

Some officers say you can't conceal it, some say you have to unload it in the car, some say it has to be an approved caliber.

It seems like someone could end up with a big headache just because they came across an asshole dnr officer.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I fired off a quick email to the DNR, guess I'll see what they say. Also @spetic-tank13 I have a feeling you may know something about this. Besides bow season, what are the rules about carrying a sidearm while hunting?
View Quote
greg is on this...  you can utilize your permit to carry when going bow and other hunting now.  thank IFC for that by the way.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 1:22:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I found this to be so crazy shit. Guy was killed yards from where my stand always is.  We were down there to setup stands Sunday, pull into the drive and there's a dozen cruisers and a command trailer there.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a 40 acre farm at Exline for a few years. People down there are not very accepting of outsiders. The neighbors thought they should hunt both sides of the fence theirs plus mine. Every time it would rain it washed out the fence and the neighbor insisted it was always my responsibility to fix it so he could run cattle.  I was just trying to have a place to hunt deer. I tried to keep up with it as long as I could but couldn't just drop everything and run fix the fence every time it rained.  Got a ticket there when I was going 60 in a 55 and the trooper wrote it at 69 so I tend to think they don't like anyone who doesn't live there full time even the prosecutor in a really nasty tone asked me just what are you doing down here - I was fixing my fence.  It was always such a pain in the ass that I finally sold it.  I'm sure some of those hillbillies are cooking meth or growing pot for a living so quite likely this hunter stumbled onto something.  Be careful out there.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Some officers say you can't conceal it, some say you have to unload it in the car, some say it has to be an approved caliber.
View Quote
That would all be wrong and if you have a permit doesnt  matter if you're hunting with it still doesn't have to be unloaded or cased
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 1:15:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That would all be wrong and if you have a permit doesn't matter if you're hunting with it still doesn't have to be unloaded or cased
View Quote
I know that, but the chances of running into a DNR officer that doesn't know, or doesn't care seem to be pretty high.
I want to go out with a buddy sunday to scope out a spot to hunt opening day of second season and I fully expect to get shit for having my carry gun if I run into an officer.

I'm not an anti LEO guy, in fact I'm the exact opposite, but I have heard quite a few stories about DNR guys thinking they are super cops can make up the law on the spot.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dascarecrow72 can you give a more accurate location on where the body was found?  If you would rather do it privately send me an IM as this is relevant to my family...screw it I'll send you an IM with my phone #.

Kleinman I'm sending you an IM as well as I get down to the Rathbun area occasionally and maybe we could meet for lunch/supper sometime at the Garage in Centerville or at the Red Barn.  Anyone who lives in that area knows those two places.
View Quote
Sorry man I was comms blackout since just after I posted that. Sent you an IM.

They've got the guy. There are a few complications. It turned out pretty damn grisly too apparently.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sorry man I was comms blackout since just after I posted that. Sent you an IM.

They've got the guy. There are a few complications. It turned out pretty damn grisly too apparently.
View Quote
"A few complications"?-Hopefully you mean he got what he deserved and no good guys were hurt.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"A few complications"?-Hopefully you mean he got what he deserved and no good guys were hurt.
View Quote
He beat the crap out of the woman at the center of this, and the cops found enough annoying buried in sealed containers at the dump site to fill the back seat of a pickup. I think they're still trying to see if he had an accomplice too. But ya, nothing major. Guy deserves a short drop and a sudden stop though. That's for sure.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Story hit the news up here tonight-sounds like a screwed up situation all around, even without the murder.

ETA-but what do you mean by enough annoying? Mistyped evidence or something else?
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Story hit the news up here tonight-sounds like a screwed up situation all around, even without the murder.

ETA-but what do you mean by enough annoying? Mistyped evidence or something else?
View Quote
Ya, evidence.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Pretty weird! Rumor mill around here, the next county over, says he was disemboweled, and dismembered. Also it's suggested that there was a woman at the middle of it all. However none of this has come out in the official story.
They say they have no motive, and no mention of a woman involved. They won't discuss condition of the body, and suggest it was a random act. It would be nice to hear the complete story that I'm sure that they surely must know by now!
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pretty weird! Rumor mill around here, the next county over, says he was disemboweled, and dismembered. Also it's suggested that there was a woman at the middle of it all. However none of this has come out in the official story.
They say they have no motive, and no mention of a woman involved. They won't discuss condition of the body, and suggest it was a random act. It would be nice to hear the complete story that I'm sure that they surely must know by now!
View Quote
If he was killed in that way, there's no way it was random. One way or another there's a lot of rage-maybe a love triangle gone wrong? For some reason I think I know the victim from somewhere-can't place where though.  Here's hoping evidence collection was spot-on, by the book correct and it's completely irrefutable.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:21:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same story I got from a land neighbor in Wayne Co. He knew the perp and details about the case almost a week before the news put out the info about it. My dad had heard he was gutted and the neighbor said his fingers were cut off as well.

We took it with a grain of salt because everyone knows how rumors grow.

Pretty messed up story no matter how it's told.

ETA: We were told it was over a woman.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top